Model Rail April 2017

dibber25

Issue 233 Published Friday March 9 

Sit back and relax in luxury, the April 2017 issue of Model Rail takes a long, loving look at Britain’s poshest trains. From the Brighton Belle to the Belmond Pullman and from vintage East Coast main line to modern Irish, there’s something to suit everyone.

News. Eight new models are reviewed including Bachmann’s Stanier 2-6-0, Heljan’s ‘1361’ and the Hattons/DJM ‘14XX’ 0-4-2T.  

Peter Marriott reports from the Nuremburg Toy Fair.

Workbench: Build a Royal Scotsman observation car, model the ‘Grand Hibernian, paint a Class 92 for the Caledonian Sleeper( you could win our model). Paul Marshall-Potter shows Mike Harris how to make a tree in an evening. Richard Foster gets into basic decoder fitting and Q&A shows how to make your own headboards.

Graeme Elgar creates a DEMU with a difference – an extra trailer car

Features: Chris Leigh recounts Pullman history and looks at the available ready-to-run models.

Pullman destinations. A look at the principal routes served by British Pullman trains.

Stepping back from luxury for a moment Paul Lunn suggests some layout ideas based on the Liverpool Overhead Railway.

Layouts: Aylesbury LNWR superbly modelled in ‘EM’ gauge.

St.Lukes, freelance Western Region in ‘OO’.

Rosamund Street Sidings. Green diesel era. ‘OO’

Reviews: Heljan’s GWR ‘1361’ class 0-6-0ST, Hatton’s DJM ‘48XX’, Dapol ‘A1X’, Hornby coke wagon, Bachmann 2-6-0 and Thompson coaches.

post-1062-0-75346600-1488797163_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve1980
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And a Pullman has even crept into 'Backscene'  I see (sorry to hear about the migraine, I thought they were 'stuffy' vehicles to be honest).

Very limited comments in the 1361 review about the detail of the real ones where in reality for such a small class only two of them were probably exactly the same and noticeable detail differences across the class are almost too numerous to list varying from chimney height  (date related) to tank fittings placement, tank handrail height on one, toolbox uniquely placed on one, two different bunker back arrangements and so on - in fact the detail differences are quite a minefield even before date related changes, (but then they were a GWR 'standardised' class so I'd expect nothing else ;) ).

• Like 2

Mine arrived this morning. A good deal of interesting content on a quick flick through (far too tired to focus on reading after a busy weekend at the Leamington Show). Look forward to giving it a proper read later on. Good stuff.

It's mostly modern with virtually no steam content at all, apart from a couple of layouts and a couple of reviews. In fact it has more electrics in it than steam.

Eh? There were only three layouts featured, so two out of three is a majority. Of the loco reviews, five were steam and none diesel or electric. But it does make a welcome break to have at least a little alternative traction featured even if the main thrust was luxury trains so majored on coaches rather that the power.

G

Eh? There were only three layouts featured, so two out of three is a majority. Of the loco reviews, five were steam and none diesel or electric. But it does make a welcome break to have at least a little alternative traction featured even if the main thrust was luxury trains so majored on coaches rather that the power.

G

So the entire magazine content is about layouts and reviews?

I'm not really even interested in either of those. Even if the layouts are good.

So three layouts of which two are steam and one is modern.

An article about Pullman cars which has as much diesel and electric relevance as it has steam.

An article about the Liverpool Overhead Railway which is electric.

Royal Scotsman observation car.

Class 92 detailing.

Create a DEMU with a difference.

Model the Grand Hibernian.

Even the Backscene is full of diesels.

So I'll ask it again. Where are all these "kettles" that it's being accused of being full of?

Jason

I'm not really even interested in either of those. Even if the layouts are good.

So I'll ask it again. Where are all these "kettles" that it's being accused of being full of? 

Modelling magazines are not only about reviews and layouts but they are a considerable part of the content and can't be ignored when trying to claim all the content is biased one way or another. There are people who do like to see layouts in print even if you are not interested.

No-one is saying it is 'full of' steam traction - GordonC said a 'lot of'.

However, at the end of the day the same arguments exist (as to those with regards to scale/gauge content) in that good modelling is good modelling regardless of the motive power type. You can still gain inspiration and learn of modelling techniques used in the articles. I was impressed with the Edwardian layout although I'm never going to be interested enough to model in that era. 

IMO this issue was certainly more fairly balanced in terms of traction type than of late, if rather stilted with regards to covering anything other than OO/4mm.

G.

Article on Pullmans and the different types very interesting I thought, even though I don't model them (wrong area & era). Paul Lunn's take on the Liverpool Overhead Railway had some good ideas for modelling it too, though the idea of building it to alternate with New York elevated railway cars was a bit left field for me; clever nontheless. The featured layouts were nicely done too, Aylesbury LNWR has an interesting history.

So plenty I enjoyed reading about even if nothing was really relevant to my modelling, but that's not why I subscribe, its just an interesting read for my down time.

• Like 1

So three layouts of which two are steam and one is modern.

An article about Pullman cars which has as much diesel and electric relevance as it has steam.

An article about the Liverpool Overhead Railway which is electric.

Royal Scotsman observation car.

Class 92 detailing.

Create a DEMU with a difference.

Model the Grand Hibernian.

Even the Backscene is full of diesels.

Jason

Green diesels are a modern layout are they? they cant have been green for 40+ years

I'd associate Pullman cars as being more steam than diesel/electric

All the models listed as reviewed are steam or steam era - there's nothing else come out even for review recently???

Green diesels are a modern layout are they? they cant have been green for 40+ years

I'd associate Pullman cars as being more steam than diesel/electric

All the models listed as reviewed are steam or steam era - there's nothing else come out even for review recently???

No diesel review models since The Bachmann GWR 57 which we covered a month or two back. A little glut of little steam locos to review but more than balanced by other content pertaining to modern traction. Next diesel review will be the Class 68 in the next issue. We review them as soon as we can but its impossible to balance up review content. Sometimes you have a lot, other times nothing - and there's very little new modern traction at the moment. (CJL)

Great article on the Royal Scotsman Observation coach conversion. I look forward to being able to do it myself once the etch is available.

Regards, Ryan

As do I, Ryan. However I'm still trying to pluck up the courage to tackle the inside of Bachmann's new 'Hebridean' observation car at the moment; The Royal Scotsman will have to wait for now and I shall content myself with admiring its observation car's lines as the train passes my signal box when the season starts next month.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One little mistake in the captioning on the LOR feature. The numbers on the ends of the trains are the individual car numbers not the set number. The sets were numbered in this fashion 20-10-30 using the numbers of the cars in the sets. I have a book somewhere that lists the numbers and which sets they were in. It was unusual for a set to be split up, usually only in the event of accident or catastrophic failure. I was considering modelling a post 1956 LOR with new stock. The stock I envisaged would be created by pairing a couple of Airfix/Dapol Railbuses onto three bogies to make an articulated unit with a flexible connection replacing the inner cabs.

• Like 2

almost forgot it was out till I saw it in local ASDA store. Bought a copy without hesitating.

The LOR article is superb, but no mention of how to do the inset track. Paul, have a word with Chris!

The other article on Rosamund Street Sidings, highlights the biggest problem with the way many do their inset track, and that is the visible sleepers.I am planning to try some ideas to cover them up on my pointwork.  Close up shots can be cruel! Also there is no need to use code 75 track,unless you want to use the Peco asymetric 3 way point. I talked this over with some of the best tramway modellers a few years ago, and although they handbuilt their track using code 75 rail, it was just because it was easier, and the depth to fill in was less. My own track uses code 100 rail, and it is not obvious, and there is greater flexibility with wheels used.

The LOR is one system on my list of to do projects, once I can locate the drawings. In fact the whole of the Merseyside system is a dream for EMU fans.

I don't normally read loco reviews, but the Minitrains one did interest me. I was under the impression that they actually manufactured in Germany, not China, and this was one reason why they have been much quicker to get new models out. There is also some confusion over scale used, as the Brigadelok was nearer to 1/76 . the USA loco was nearer to 1/87, and noone is sure about the next two locos, a Decauville and a Schneider. Both of these are being produced after Minitrains did a survey in French magazines to ask French modellers what they wanted. As these WW1 era locos are also of interest to military modellers, a scale of 1/76 makes more sence. Also fitting in the motor in smaller locos is easier in the slightly bigger scale. For those modelling HO, more are opting for the Busch HOf system.

• Like 1

almost forgot it was out till I saw it in local ASDA store. Bought a copy without hesitating.

The LOR article is superb, but no mention of how to do the inset track. Paul, have a word with Chris!

The other article on Rosamund Street Sidings, highlights the biggest problem with the way many do their inset track, and that is the visible sleepers.I am planning to try some ideas to cover them up on my pointwork.  Close up shots can be cruel! Also there is no need to use code 75 track,unless you want to use the Peco asymetric 3 way point. I talked this over with some of the best tramway modellers a few years ago, and although they handbuilt their track using code 75 rail, it was just because it was easier, and the depth to fill in was less. My own track uses code 100 rail, and it is not obvious, and there is greater flexibility with wheels used.

The LOR is one system on my list of to do projects, once I can locate the drawings. In fact the whole of the Merseyside system is a dream for EMU fans.

I don't normally read loco reviews, but the Minitrains one did interest me. I was under the impression that they actually manufactured in Germany, not China, and this was one reason why they have been much quicker to get new models out. There is also some confusion over scale used, as the Brigadelok was nearer to 1/76 . the USA loco was nearer to 1/87, and noone is sure about the next two locos, a Decauville and a Schneider. Both of these are being produced after Minitrains did a survey in French magazines to ask French modellers what they wanted. As these WW1 era locos are also of interest to military modellers, a scale of 1/76 makes more sence. Also fitting in the motor in smaller locos is easier in the slightly bigger scale. For those modelling HO, more are opting for the Busch HOf system.

Hi Simon, Many thanks for your kind response.  If you ever get round to making a layout I have some scale elevations of the decking from the late 1800's, we hoped to put them in the article but ran out of space.  Kind regards Paul

• Like 2

Paul, I have followed your articles back over many years, even found them in MTI, and it is one reason I tend to buy Model Rail. I have had a few people ask about track, thinking of building something based in the Liverpool docks , but not necessarily the LOR itself. Probably more interest up this way, as would be expected, but I have been told there are drawing of the trains around. I seem to remember that either RM or MRC had them. Can't access my copies of RM, as they are down in my house in France, but will have a look when I get down there next.

One way of doing the LOR might be to print a side image of one of the trains,and move it along a background.

I am looking for drawings for all the other electric stock used in the are. The LMS era stuff , I have, but the older units would get me started on models of those units.

• Like 1

Hi Simon, Many thanks for your kind response.  If you ever get round to making a layout I have some scale elevations of the decking from the late 1800's, we hoped to put them in the article but ran out of space.  Kind regards Paul

Hello

I have posted LOR requests on this Forum as I am planning a 7mm dockside diorama with the LOR in the background.  I would be very interested to see elevations of the LOR structures please, as I cannot visit the plans in the Liverpool record office.  Thanks.  Stephenwolstenholme@talk21.com.

Paul, I have followed your articles back over many years, even found them in MTI, and it is one reason I tend to buy Model Rail. I have had a few people ask about track, thinking of building something based in the Liverpool docks , but not necessarily the LOR itself. Probably more interest up this way, as would be expected, but I have been told there are drawing of the trains around. I seem to remember that either RM or MRC had them. Can't access my copies of RM, as they are down in my house in France, but will have a look when I get down there next.

One way of doing the LOR might be to print a side image of one of the trains,and move it along a background.

I am looking for drawings for all the other electric stock used in the are. The LMS era stuff , I have, but the older units would get me started on models of those units.

The LOR carriage drawings were in MRC rather than RM.  i will look out my copy.  Thanks for your comments.

Hello

I have posted LOR requests on this Forum as I am planning a 7mm dockside diorama with the LOR in the background.  I would be very interested to see elevations of the LOR structures please, as I cannot visit the plans in the Liverpool record office.  Thanks.  Stephenwolstenholme@talk21.com.

Hi Stephen, will send you a link to my Dropbox, via your email, so that you can have a look at the elevations, hope this helps.  If you have any problems let me know and I'll do my best to help.  Kind regards Paul

• Like 2