Model Rail April 2017

dibber25

Hi Stephen, will send you a link to my Dropbox, via your email, so that you can have a look at the elevations, hope this helps.  If you have any problems let me know and I'll do my best to help.  Kind regards Paul

Hi Stephen, Link sent, Kind regards Paul

The LOR carriage drawings were in MRC rather than RM.  i will look out my copy.  Thanks for your comments.

thanks, someone did mention that to me , but I was certain I had also seen something in RM as well. I am also interested in anything on other Merseyside electrics, prior to LMS built ones.

• Like 2

thanks, someone did mention that to me , but I was certain I had also seen something in RM as well. I am also interested in anything on other Merseyside electrics, prior to LMS built ones.

Just be a bit wary of the MRC drawings of the LOR. I can't now recall the name of the contributor who drew them but I had other drawings by the same guy, showing different LOR stock, which I never published because I spotted significant errors in the drawings. It was one of the reasons why drawings dropped out of favour with me. I had a drawer full of drawings but many of them were suspect in terms of accuracy. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

I am sure someone up here will have something, especially as one unit is preserved up here.

Errors in drawings are nothing new.I have MRC for 1939, which has drawings of Oerlikon stock,and there are a couple of errors, nothing significant though.

Even if you have original builders drawings, changes were often done before actual production, and then someone will modify the design after a few years. Some good photos, and some decent measurements, and it should be possible to do a design.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

almost forgot it was out till I saw it in local ASDA store. Bought a copy without hesitating.

The LOR article is superb, but no mention of how to do the inset track. Paul, have a word with Chris!

The other article on Rosamund Street Sidings, highlights the biggest problem with the way many do their inset track, and that is the visible sleepers.I am planning to try some ideas to cover them up on my pointwork.  Close up shots can be cruel! Also there is no need to use code 75 track,unless you want to use the Peco asymetric 3 way point. I talked this over with some of the best tramway modellers a few years ago, and although they handbuilt their track using code 75 rail, it was just because it was easier, and the depth to fill in was less. My own track uses code 100 rail, and it is not obvious, and there is greater flexibility with wheels used.

The LOR is one system on my list of to do projects, once I can locate the drawings. In fact the whole of the Merseyside system is a dream for EMU fans.

I don't normally read loco reviews, but the Minitrains one did interest me. I was under the impression that they actually manufactured in Germany, not China, and this was one reason why they have been much quicker to get new models out. There is also some confusion over scale used, as the Brigadelok was nearer to 1/76 . the USA loco was nearer to 1/87, and noone is sure about the next two locos, a Decauville and a Schneider. Both of these are being produced after Minitrains did a survey in French magazines to ask French modellers what they wanted. As these WW1 era locos are also of interest to military modellers, a scale of 1/76 makes more sence. Also fitting in the motor in smaller locos is easier in the slightly bigger scale. For those modelling HO, more are opting for the Busch HOf system.

Hi Simon, Your kind comments are much appreciated, didn't mention inset tracks as there's a docks follow on piece to come.  I can highly recommend a visit to Liverpool Museum, they've got loads of material and are really helpful if my experience is anything to go by.  Kind regards Paul

• Like 1

Not sure why I have not been to the museum yet, as I have worked in liverpool, and don't live that far away. looking forward to more about the dockyard plans. It would be interesting to continue the Merseyside theme, with something on the electrified lines to the north and south.

Not sure why I have not been to the museum yet, as I have worked in liverpool, and don't live that far away. looking forward to more about the dockyard plans. It would be interesting to continue the Merseyside theme, with something on the electrified lines to the north and south.

Hi Simon, only dockyard this time I'm afraid, maybe something in future, I kinda like the Morecambe electrics, can remember seeing them for real when we went on holiday, love the art deco hotel and the town has been affectionately known as Morycambay for my entire life, such is the impact of grandparents!  Kind regards Paul

Here is a link to the June 1983 MRC issue featuring LOR drawings: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-RAILWAY-CONSTRUCTOR-MAGAZINE-JUN-1983-RADIO-CONTROL-LIVE-STEAM-LMR-DRAWING-/231581315153?hash=item35eb527051%3Ag%3AMMcAAOSweW5VbWep

• 3 months later...

Just seen the link, getting that copy. I am hoping to visit Liverpool museum whilst in Liverpool next week(weather dependant!). It would be interesting to see any other drawings for LOR stock.There were a few versions and modifications, and then there wee the fully modenized ones. I have aquired RW Rush's book on L&Y coaches, which includes the L&Y lightweight stock used on the LOR. Also means I have almost everyhing I need for all Merseyside electrics, only missing drawings for the Mersey Railway stock. I think HMRS has drawings of the non clerestory stock but still looking for drawings of original stock which it was the first mainline electric stock in the country. Hopefully the museum might be able to set me in right direction.

Although I am working on designs for non electrified railway stock as well, especially early stuff, electric mainline railway history is sadly badly forgotten. With the (temporary) closure of the Electric Railway museum in Coventry, it is even more important to generate interest, Maybe by my producing the models there might be more interest in the real thing and the history.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Just seen the link, getting that copy. I am hoping to visit Liverpool museum whilst in Liverpool next week(weather dependant!). It would be interesting to see any other drawings for LOR stock.There were a few versions and modifications, and then there wee the fully modenized ones. I have aquired RW Rush's book on L&Y coaches, which includes the L&Y lightweight stock used on the LOR. Also means I have almost everyhing I need for all Merseyside electrics, only missing drawings for the Mersey Railway stock. I think HMRS has drawings of the non clerestory stock but still looking for drawings of original stock which it was the first mainline electric stock in the country. Hopefully the museum might be able to set me in right direction.

Although I am working on designs for non electrified railway stock as well, especially early stuff, electric mainline railway history is sadly badly forgotten. With the (temporary) closure of the Electric Railway museum in Coventry, it is even more important to generate interest, Maybe by my producing the models there might be more interest in the real thing and the history.

The Electric Railway Museum in Coventry has some items of Merseyrail/LOR vintage (503 and LOR Trailer First No. 7 (built 1947)). Unfortuately that museum those items of stock are facing an uncertain future as no new home has yet been found for the museum or the stock. I have photos of the items there (though the LOR item was covered over so prevented proper photos) taken in recent visits.

I have the copy of MRC now. The person who drew it has done a lot of drawings for different railways, including the L&Y and the Furness. As these are the only drawings available, it would be interesting to see if anyone could actually do some updated ones.

For the LOR there were some variations, in particular the widened stock. It is a pity the original drawings in the book are so small, I presume someone must have the originals.

For me the drawings in MRC  are good enough, but I always check to se if anything obviously wrong. Roof detail always tricky.

Just wondering if there are any drawings or dimensions for the track, as I can easily produce its style using 3D printing, havin already done something similar to represent rail on beams. Are the 'corrugations' at same distance as standard sleepers, and is there a cross section drawing to show distance of pickup rail from track. I am not so sure I have include this but would like to try.

I have the copy of MRC now. The person who drew it has done a lot of drawings for different railways, including the L&Y and the Furness. As these are the only drawings available, it would be interesting to see if anyone could actually do some updated ones.

For the LOR there were some variations, in particular the widened stock. It is a pity the original drawings in the book are so small, I presume someone must have the originals.

For me the drawings in MRC  are good enough, but I always check to se if anything obviously wrong. Roof detail always tricky.

Just wondering if there are any drawings or dimensions for the track, as I can easily produce its style using 3D printing, havin already done something similar to represent rail on beams. Are the 'corrugations' at same distance as standard sleepers, and is there a cross section drawing to show distance of pickup rail from track. I am not so sure I have include this but would like to try.

Hi, there's some fab track photo's in Dockers Umbrella, The Bluecoat Press.  Kind regards Paul

I have seen plenty of photos, just after some info on dimensions. It looks like it is same spacing as conventional sleepers.

When I visited the museum yesterday,I did notice some things I had not seen before, and stopped at the information desk and was told it would be worth while visiting the Maritime Museum archives.

Two books: The Liverpool Overhead Railway (C.E. Box rev Adrian Jarvis, Ian Allan) and Portrait of the Liverpool Overhead Railway (Adrian Jarvis, Ian Allan) should be of help. THe track bed on the elevated section appears to have been large-section corrugated sheets with the 'peaks' of the corrugations forming the 'sleepers'. The conductor rail is mounted on square blocks (possibly wood) set in the 'valleys' of the corrugations. (CJL)

I have the CE Box book. I can see roughly how the track base is formed but need confirmation on size of the corrugation. It looks to be about same as standard sleeper spacing. I also located the original stock drawings in The Engineeer, and they seem to match the MRC ones . I am hoping there is more info/drawings in The Engineer(available on Graces Guide online), but need to work though all the years. I found a cross section of the original, with 3rd rail between the running rails. Ineed to see if some more drawings are held in the archives in Liverpool.