Progress to Tuesday teatime.
A view of the whole layout showing all track laid. I've now whizzed a rake of coaches round at high speed and apart from the crossover where they are only happy running slowly, all stayed on the track. No doubt there will be adjustments to make after Bristol when I get on soak testing.
The last bit to be laid in was the down main between the siding point and the exit to the backscene.
The longest fiddle yard road will take an eight coach and a seven coach train comfortably. I'm probably going to keep to eight as a maximum rake. Hawthorn Dene has seven.
The siding back to the carriage dock. On reflection I've moved the inner end another centimetre away from the main line in order to fit the newer extension to the platform between the end of it and the main line. The OS map shows that originally this dock was only end loading. Some time after 1919 the siding was slewed away from the running lines and the platform extended by about the length of a BG with two raised sections approximately where van doors would stop.
The point to the dock showing the "slippery Sid" wire and the plastic cover holding it down. This will be covered with ballast and other scenery eventually. Hopefully the missing short length of cess won't be too noticeable. I may use a dummy point motor rather than rodding for this point.
The other end of the "Slippery Sid" showing one of the point motors just behind where the backscene will be. With the sides to the baseboard being quite shallow and having trestles for support rather than built-in legs I felt that underboard point motors would be too vulnerable.
Today's work has been to slit the rails at the front and gap the copperclad, and also put in the last two droppers at the end of the carriage dock. On Thursday if I get chance I can get the layout up against the shed wall and vacuum around. That means any spare time next week after Cotgrave show can be spent making a start on the underside. I suspect that I'll get little done as we set off for Bristol with Hawthorn Dene on Thursday next week.
Lastly, I've got the first of the two new A1s renumbered and nameplates attached. A dab of matt varnish to seal the cab transfers (plus me remembering to change the smokebox number and re-address the chip) and it will be ready for a little light weathering before going to Bristol. This is 60160 AULD REEKIE. The other one of the pair might get done. The extra A4 certainly won't be done in time for Bristol.
Plenty still to do and time is getting tight again. Tomorrow a circular trip via Grantham to pick up show guides for Cotgrave this weekend and Lincoln to pick up the Trevor Webster Trophy. Then in the evening I've been volunteered to photograph Grantham Operatic Society's "Carousel" dress rehearsal.
Edited by Les1952, 18 April 2017 - 18:25 .