Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Posted Image What was your favourite model of 2017? Cast your vote

Photo

Croft Spa

N-gauge NE Region real location

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#76 Les1952

Les1952

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,358 posts
  • LocationNottinghamshire

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:16

A little more done on the contours

Basically shopping day yesterday, while I had a day out on the bus on Thursday- picking a good one as Marshalls had a rare double-decker on the Nottingham service- my last double-deck run down the Fosse to Nottingham was a Gash Daimler CVD6....

KAL578 - 1984a.jpg

LX53JYN - 14 sep 17.JPG

a bit of a difference...

Meanwhile the bones of the road overbridge are done.  I'm using the later flat-topped bridge at this end, but have located an arch bridge I might be able to recycle for the other end- pics of this after next Tuesday assuming it comes away intact from its present location (a diorama being scrapped at the clubroom).

IMG_4260.JPG

I've built a set of Ancorton terraced houses- or rather three of a set- which look a little too small next to the Lyddle End duo, but which should be OK with a suitable amount of packing and careful siting.  I still need another slightly different one to go on the end, and another to go to the left of the Lyddle End pair.  In the pic it is leaning downwards towards the Lyddle End pair, which exaggerates the difference.

IMG_4261.JPG

The pic also shows the progress on the first pair of semi-detached bungalows.  Windowsills and guttering etc to be added, and then the roof weathered.  If I can't get it to look reasonable I'll scrap it and start again. The second pair will be different as I think I'll use brickwork up to the window line and leave the wooden boards above.  

Plenty to do.  Late start as I've been watching the news.  The derelict sports centre at the school where I used to work burned down last night.  A CLASP building - the frightening thing is that the school would have gone up that quickly if that had caught fire.  The school has since moved into a new building, but the drive to the new school is apparently blocked by the smouldering remains of the old sports centre.  Not excited enough to go out and have a gawp.  The shed is more inviting....

Les

Edited by Les1952, 16 September 2017 - 14:33 .

• Like x 1

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#77 Les1952

Les1952

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 14:51

A little more work

I've put a facing of Redutex on the nearside of the station bridge and given the up platform its roughened surface and its first coat of colour.  Note that adding the bridge and the backscene shows up that the ballast doesn't go far enough towards the end of the layout.  I've also done the first two lengths of the down platform facing.  I'll need to ballast beyond the brdge before it can go into place finally so I might as well finish the ballast through the station at the same time

IMG_4269.JPG

the white at the left is the foundations going in for the up platform access.  This needs to be in place before I can site the footbridge and signalbox.  Unlike the road bridge it needs to be glued, but can be fiddled about with to make sure there is enough room for the bridge and signalbox.  The platform shelter will sit at the bottom of the ramp.

Looking at it from another angle- the wall has to bend from the end of the bridge parapet rather than a little after it.  I've cut it rather than scoring and bending as it might be better here to just make a wing wall and embankment here.  I'll know better once I've got the gradient past the bungalow and round the corner done.  In reality the station entrance is a narrow track between the road embankment and the first house on Belgrave Terrace.  Widening this entrance would mean I can move Belgrave Terrace to the right- making it a little North of where it should be.

IMG_4271.JPG

Nothing doing yet at the other end, though the large stone barn has arrived.  Nowadays there is a large steel-framed barn at right-angles to the railway.  I suspect that the new barn is the first occupant of its site, but I have a lot of length to fill on the farm board and not a lot to fill it with.

IMG_4272.JPG

I have also a hen house which might be a little modern and another small farm outbuilding.  These are folded and assembled out of a one-piece resin kit so will be fairly testing to build.

Time to do something else...

Les

• Like x 3

#78 McRuss

McRuss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationLohr, Germany

Posted 16 September 2017 - 22:44

Hello Les,

who makes the barn?

Markus

#79 Les1952

Les1952

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 14:59

Hello Les,

who makes the barn?

Markus

It came on eBay from the Model Clearing House.  Beyond that, not a clue.

However they quote an email address for enquiries.. sales@modelitltd.co.uk 

Hope this helps.

Les

• Thanks x 1

#80 Les1952

Les1952

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 20:00

Contours continue

Pictures are from two days ago, but I've now got on to the plastering of the cutting and the area around the farm.  Good news is that the farm will need a bigger area than I'd originally planned for it.  Bad news is that the semi-detatched bungalow just won't do and the small terrace is just too small.  However I've got plenty of time to get replacements and the unusable terrace will fit on a different project I'm starting- a small circular thingy (2 feet across) to sit on the front desk at the next South Notts Show.

IMG_4420.JPG

I decided the station bridge wasn't wide enough and also needed to be slightly skewed.  The pic shows it as it now is- though more of the brickwork has been added since.  I need some capping stome for it- and will have a look at what Steve has in the way of Evergreen U-channel in due course.   No hurry here.  The semi pair has been donated by Geoff Warren, he built it for Rise Park but it didn't fit and is now redundant.  It is a Kestrel kit.  It nicely fits as the semi in Belgrave Terrace near the bottom end.

IMG_4421.JPG

Showing the bridge at the farm end- this is just the right size and better made than I could do.  the fact it is a little too tall will be hidden by the line being in cutting here with plenty of foliage on each side.  Note recycled foam rubber from stock boxes being used as risers, partly to keep the weight down.  I don't want this layout to be another back breaker like Hawthorn Dene.

Quite a lot done today- but there is only Sunday now available for plastering.  Geoff is coming over on Tuesday afternoon to help swap this layout over with Hawthorn Dene so I can do some work on that before Peterbrough Show>  This one will then be re-erected for a month after Hinckley show before HD needs preparing again for Manchester.  Now why didn't I get a 30 foot long garden workshop instead of a sixteen footer? 

Les

• Friendly/Supportive x 3

#81 Les1952

Les1952

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 19:31

Done for now

I've run out of plaster bandage.  I should have known that two rolls plus about half another one left over from Hawthorn Dene wouldn't be enough.  Still, a basic ground cover is there on the farm board and I can add more to strengthen and smooth it after mid-October when the layout is next erected.

IMG_4450.JPG IMG_4451.JPG

To the left the bridge that will help hide the exit.  I think this might be a Lyddle End road overbridge.  If it is then it is far too narrow for a roadway but looks the part.  I can't find any decent pictures of the prototype before its 1950s rebuild so I don't know if it was originally stone or brick.  If I don't know then the chances of someone telling me I'm wrong must be fairly slim.

To the right the cutting running past the farm coming towards the cricket field at the near end.  I'll flatten out the area beyond the foamboard slightly and put the pavilion at this end to make the playing surface a bit flatter.

IMG_4452.JPG

What a wonderfully exciting picture this is - not.  The cricket field will be behind the turnout to the down loading dock- most of it the flat area currently foamboard.  The up loading dock is offscene beyond the bridge and I've totally ignored its existance by not extending the platforms through the bridge.  This will be hidden by the signal box and footbridge in any case.  It is also over 45 years since the platforms were demolished.   There will be a hedge running along the board join to separate the cricket field out from a smaller area on the station board, which may or may not become a park.

Cat feeding time again.  She has been shouting at me for over half an hour....

More pics tomorrow then vacuuming the layout and shed ready to pack this one away and erect Hawthorn Dene.

Les

• Like x 2

#82 Les1952

Les1952

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 19:46

T'other end

IMG_4453.JPG

Moving along the layout the buildings for Belgrave Terrace (or the survivors).  I think I may end up using three of the Ten Commandments bungalows as the three pairs of semis (12 to 22 Belgrave Terrace)- I've drawn a blank when it comes to finding anything that is within my ability to adapt it.  The Peco bungalow temporarily on top of the foam blocks is the set-back bungalow at No.8 Belgrave Terrace.  It will have a great deal of vegetation behind it  so once painted white it will look as if it belongs there.

On the other side of the road Geoff's Kestrel semis are in their approximate position.  The Lyddle End chapel is much smaller than the actual chapel on Baxby Terrace but looks the part, and Trevor's bub building is about the right size.  The exact positions will be determined once the row of terraced houses are complete.

IMG_4454.JPG

Moving along, the station buildings more or less as they should be, plus an additional shelter rescued from the same source as the farm bridge to make up for the extra hut that showed up after the others were completed..  This might not yet be used, as the missing building is actually a small lean-to shelter.  Missing is the footbridge, which got a little knocked in transit and will need a bit of sticking back together before installation.  The course of the ramp to the up platform is laid in but not yet finished.  The final position of the station building is yet to be decided but it seems to have been very close to the platform edge and may have been closer to the road bridge. It also needs its inal weathering to the brickwork- by the early sixties it was almost black.   I still need to determine how far down Belgrave Terrace Number 8 will end up.  There is a large Victorian semi and a smaller detached hose to go in to the right of the station approach.  The latter is actually quite narrow, though the present owners of No.2 Belgrave Terrace may have bought some of this to extend their land at the side of the house.

IMG_4456.JPG

Lastly for now a view along the line through the station, showing how the signal box looks over the bridge. The bottom of the staircase was a little speculative as the available photo didn't show it.  It may in fact have joined the footbridge.  In reality the footbridge seems to have been between the signal box and the road bridge.  The model will have these reversed to protect the signal box a little more by being nearer the end with the ramp between it and the front of the baseboard also being a little higher- a problem the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway didn't have when they built it.  The pic also shows that although I've done the down platform edging and most of the ballast on that side I've still to do the up platform.

Another Lyddle End Terrace house has arrived.  I'll put it next to the two I've got and get a photograph before packing the layout away tomorrow.   The good news is that the layout has been vacuumed and only one piece of the plaster bandage failed to survive the new vacuuum cleaner- and the workshop floor hasn't been so clean for at least four years......

Les

• Craftsmanship/Clever x 1
  • Like x 1

#83 Les1952

Les1952

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 20:08

As threatened- pics showing the new house..

IMG_4463.JPG

The roof line of the bay-less terraced house is slightly higher than the bay fronted one.  It also has an outhouse at the back.  This being the case it will have to be at the Hurworth Row end of the line, partly to get the roofline correct and also to accommodate the outhouse.

I've also tried the two bay fronted terraced houses the wrong way round.  With a lick of paint on the doors  a pair of these could solve the problem of what to do about the next two in the row.  That then leaves one more for the left end- another bay-less terrace - and two more to go at the right hand end of the line, one of which needs a hipped end to the roofline. 

IMG_4464.JPG

Sorry it is a little out of focus. The layout is now on end in the corner of the shed- the bolts holding it to the end plates were a little tight but they will slacken off with use.  This was only the first time the end plates have been attached for storage.  Meanwhile I'll keep a look out for Lyddle End terraced houses on eBay etc.

Next layout topic posts most likely under Hawthorn Dene.

Les

• Like x 2

#84 Les1952

Les1952

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 20:13

Just a quick update- the layout is still stored on end in the workshop, but about to spend Christmas in the conservatory so Gresby can be set up by Mr Simon- his thread will no doubt be very exciting about then...

IMG_5214.jpg

Croft Spa is the white set of boards behind Gresby.  Hawthorn Dene is stacked behind that with various cloths and boxes of fittings on top of it.  No Place is on the bench behind the photographer.

Meanwhile, what have I been up to since Manchester?

Back in N gauge turning the item in the photo below into a layout ....

IMG_4457.JPG

It IS designed for exhibition- and as it is a pointless little roundy-roundy that is its name.   More pics on the Hawthorn Dene thread as it isn't really worth one of its own.

Les

• Like x 2

#85 MrSimon

MrSimon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationLondon W6

Posted 21 December 2017 - 22:14

Are you suggesting that watching me make hundreds of n gauge fridges and sticking them in a pile isn't exciting...?

It's all go in Gresby :D

( goes to paint salad drawers)

Edited by MrSimon, 21 December 2017 - 22:15 .

#86 Les1952

Les1952

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 19:12

IMG_5321.JPG

Despite the congestion at the outside end of the shed I've managed with the help of Mr Simon to get the layout erected again.  A substantial bit of work with the track rubber has got trains running again- currently limited to one road in each direction until Gresby has gone back into hibernation and I can move Croft Spa forward enough to get behind it to change points.

IMG_5319.JPG

There were two things I'd decided to change before Mr Simon told me they looked wrong as we were re-erecting the layout.  The first one is the angle of the cutting sides at the North end.  I've attacked the plaster on both sides with the Stanley knife (having got some new blades this morning) and having also got a new tube of contact adhesive on the same visit to Homebase- other DIY superstores are available, but not in Newark....

IMG_5325.JPG

The other was the North end of the down platform, where Mr Simon thought the humps were too high.  I'm not sure of that but they WERE too steep, so replacing this part of the platform has begun.  I think the balsa is buried behind Gresby for now.

It is Newark Toy Fair tomorrow, so I'll have a morning out ferreting round.  Last year I think I came away with one truck and a small pack of figures, so I'm not taking any bets on what I'll find.  By Wednesday I might be able to reach the balsa and rolls of plaster bandage so I can get on and finish re-profiling the cuttings, and then work will start in earnest.  Deadline for this spasm is three weeks before Ally Pally as I need to some work on Hawthorn Dene in time for that.

Les

• Like x 1

#87 Les1952

Les1952

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 21:04

Cutting reprofiled.

IMG_5326.JPG

It looks a bit like a snow scene but the plasterwork on the cutting sides of the North board has now been re-done and I can start colouring it tomorrow, provided the paints aren't still buried behind Gresby.  If they are I'll have to wait until Tuesday afternoon.  At least the weather forecast for Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning is good, which means I can get Gresby returned to the Bingham clubroom.

The A4 is 60018 on test.  It does actually have two lamps, one of which seems to have been borrowed from a loco whose shed cleans thier engines.

The platform is still to do.....

Les

• Like x 1

#88 Les1952

Les1952

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 20:34

Another week gone, and what is there to show for it?

IMG_5414.JPG

There is a bit of colour on this end of the layout - the base colour in acrylic paint and a first layer of scatter.  I've even remembered the Gaugemaster puffer bottle that had been buried on the shelf over the shed windows.  The sky colour makes a real difference.  Starting to look like something...

IMG_5415.JPG

... until the camera is turned round to point the other way.  The lighter flatter area in the distance is the cricket ground, for which I've used a grass mat to get a neater surface.  the sky doesn't need to reach the ground in the centre of the layout as there will be a middle distance backscene in front of it.

Having told everyone how much more reliable the A2s are than the A1s, despite sharing most of their mechanism, 60539 got another foot along the front and failed totally.  I'm wondering if it has a duff chip.  It was upside down in the box after the last show and a non-mover until I reprogrammed the chip.  I'll look at it again tomorrow.  If the chip has lost the plot I'll try a different one.  

Still plenty to do.  I've got No Place going out next Saturday.  If the club doesn't have a pair of trestles I can borrow for the weekend I'll need to take Croft Spa down on Saturday to use the trestles, then re-erect it when we get home.

Les

• Like x 5

#89 Brian D

Brian D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • LocationDeep in LT&SR territory

Posted 14 January 2018 - 18:36

Another week gone, and what is there to show for it?

attachicon.gifIMG_5414.JPG

There is a bit of colour on this end of the layout - the base colour in acrylic paint and a first layer of scatter.  I've even remembered the Gaugemaster puffer bottle that had been buried on the shelf over the shed windows.  The sky colour makes a real difference.  Starting to look like something...

attachicon.gifIMG_5415.JPG

... until the camera is turned round to point the other way.  The lighter flatter area in the distance is the cricket ground, for which I've used a grass mat to get a neater surface.  the sky doesn't need to reach the ground in the centre of the layout as there will be a middle distance backscene in front of it.

Having told everyone how much more reliable the A2s are than the A1s, despite sharing most of their mechanism, 60539 got another foot along the front and failed totally.  I'm wondering if it has a duff chip.  It was upside down in the box after the last show and a non-mover until I reprogrammed the chip.  I'll look at it again tomorrow.  If the chip has lost the plot I'll try a different one.  

Still plenty to do.  I've got No Place going out next Saturday.  If the club doesn't have a pair of trestles I can borrow for the weekend I'll need to take Croft Spa down on Saturday to use the trestles, then re-erect it when we get home.

Les

This is starting to look really good Les.  Sorry to hear about the failure of 60539, hope you get it sorted without too much grief.

Regards,

Brian.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: N-gauge, NE Region, real location