Montpellier Perpignan LGV update

Focalplane

I haven't checked on the snail like progress of this section of the run from Paris to Barcelone for some time. It is still in the planning stages but detailed maps of the proposed run were released late last year:

http://www.ligne-montpellier-perpignan.com/docutheque/term/trace

It would now appear that Béziers and Narbonne are each going to have their own stations, and not share one at Nissan lès Ensérune. The route between Narbonne and Perpignan will involve some interesting civil engineering in the foothills of the Corbieres. Perpignan will be served by a new station at Rivesalte before connecting to the existing Perpignan-Spain LGV.

Whether this will serve local customers better will be an interesting question, though I don't expect to be around when the line finally opens!

• RMweb Gold

Like you, I'm not sure that I will ever see this line built. It has been much delayed.

I'm not convinced by the choice to have stations for both Narbonne and Beziers. Doubtless a sop to local politicians but it will probably just result in both stations having minimal service. The Rivesaltes station will be very convenient for me although these days I usually fly as it is so much cheaper.

• 3 months later...

Latest news reported in the Occitanie press is that President Macron is suggesting that more LGV projects may not be built. Note the usual political weasle words. President of the new Occitanie region has come out in defense of the two projects in the region, one of which is the Perpignan Montpellier route.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Paris- Barcelona is nearly built, but the mighty Pyrenees hinders progress.

Actually, the Pyrenees is not the problem, the Tunnel de Perthus alreafy exists, with LGV status from Perpignan to Barcelone. The line also carries container traffic. it is the gap between Montpellier and Perpignan that remains to be completed.

I should also add the Pyrenees are not that mighty at Perthus!

Guest pboeast

Sorry, my message was one of common sense, without considering the existing infrastructure.

Anyhow, the line is supposed to be completed 2024?

Anyhow, the line is supposed to be completed 2024?

It's anyone's guess, I am sorry to say.  I regular hike over part of the planned route and each time I hope I might see some early sign of surveying or even clearance, but nothing.  It has become a politician's football, to be kicked into touch at every opportunity.

• 1 month later...

I should add that the 80 km LGV extension from east of Nimes to west of Montpellier is currently undergoing tests and the local media say that it will be brought into service in mid-December 2017.

A good article and film here:

http://www.midilibre.fr/2017/09/26/la-video-vue-du-ciel-du-premier-tgv-sur-la-nouvelle-ligne-nimes-montpellier,1565859.php

I assume that the new line and TGV station at Montpellier (close to the airport) will be used by trains continuing to Perpignan and Barcelone, while existing TGV services could continue to start in Montpellier and run through Nimes.  I checked this on SNCF's web site for a journey in January and Narbonne to Paris will take 4-1/2 hours direct.  To be honest that is not a big improvement but every bit helps.  And a first class PREM if booked now is only 40 euros!

• Like 1

I travelled from Narbonne to Paris yesterday and noted a number of improvements.

Narbonne Station is being modernized.  The old café has gone, more's the pity, it had atmosphere.  The underpasses to the platforms are being upgraded but no escalators.

The trainset I was booked onto was an 800 series in Carmillion livery (I understand this word is an invention derived from Carmine and Vermillion) which is more attractive, in my opinion, than the original Duplex blue and white.

We passed both ends of the new 80 kilometer route that bypasses Montpellier St. Roch and Nimes stations.  As noted in the previous post it is currently being tested.

SNCF have finally installed WiFi and have an on-line trip system with a map that shows the location of the train and its current speed.  Once on the LGV the cruising speed was typically 300 kph and this was maintained over several of the high speed turnouts (north and south of Lyon which was bypassed on this journey.  However, the train did slow down on significant inclines along the Rhone valley and in particular when leaving the Saone valley at Maçon, where the train slowed to 240 kph.

I think timetabling is quite conservative in the early part of the journey - the train was 5 minutes late into Narbonne and after several slows and one complete stop on ordinary track was 10 minutes late leaving Nimes, but then arrived early into Gare de Lyon.

I had a superb ride across Paris to Charles de Gaulle Airport - Both RER trains were standing at their respective platforms while the one from Gare du Nord out to the airport was a non-stop.  It only took me 30 minutes to get to the airport from leaving Gare de Lyon!  That is not likely to be repeated!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...