One minute you are standing out there looking at a lovely picture by Andy Y

attachicon.gifFeature_181.jpg

Then it starts to get dark

attachicon.gifFeature_181a.png

and colder 

attachicon.gifFeature_181b.png

do I feel rain falling?

attachicon.gifFeature_181d.jpg

and then you run for cover as fast as you can as the heavens open......

attachicon.gifFeature_181c.jpg

Just messing with Andy's picture and adding colour changes and rain layers.

Need a bit more work as the rain is to even.......WIP

Just realised I forgot one where I had darken the image and added a minimal amount of vignette....

attachicon.gifFeature_181e.jpg

So here it is to complete the set!

Now you need some Puddles like in my Yard Kevin, ahhaha. :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Extremely clever editing Young Man.

Edited by Andrew P

Now you need some Puddles like in my Yard Kevin, ahhaha. :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Extremely clever editing Young Man.

It does indeed need that plus all the surfaces looking wet but this was more of an experiment as I found a step by step Serif tutorial on adding weather effects so \i thought I would give it a go.

Bit basic as the moment but the concept is grasped just needs refinement.

Thanks, do you need any rainy pictures to go with your puddles?

• Like 1

It does indeed need that plus all the surfaces looking wet but this was more of an experiment as I found a step by step Serif tutorial on adding weather effects so \i thought I would give it a go.

Bit basic as the moment but the concept is grasped just needs refinement.

Thanks, do you need any rainy pictures to go with your puddles?

Can do if You want,

Well the postman delivered these today.

Inspired by the earlier photo's and postings on here (Little Muddle) I want to make my loco's a bit more realistic.

Advice please :-

I use acrylic paints so I assume a coat of grey (or white) primer first.

What colour blue should I use for their overalls.

Any advice appreciated as this will be my first foray into painting "little people"

Hope you can help. Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, but as I saw the locomen on here this is where I got the idea.

post-31454-0-18611000-1512663692_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

On 07/12/2017 at 16:22, MANTY1 said:

Well the postman delivered these today.

Inspired by the earlier photo's and postings on here (Little Muddle) I want to make my loco's a bit more realistic.

Advice please :-

I use acrylic paints so I assume a coat of grey (or white) primer first.

What colour blue should I use for their overalls.

Any advice appreciated as this will be my first foray into painting "little people"

Hope you can help. Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, but as I saw the locomen on here this is where I got the idea.

Glad I could be of assistance.

I always use Vallejo because of their fine pigments and ability to flow easily plus they can be thinned with water to make them into washes.

I always use Light Grey to prime, black can also be used but I find lighter colours battle to cover it - personal preference here.

The colour of the overalls is not one colour.

The basic colour is Oxford Blue but then I generally mix Black Grey to darken or Light Grey or White Grey to lighten.

EDIT - Just realised I missed off Pastel or Azure Blue which I used as a tint on odd uniforms to give a further shade variation as well.

When mixing the colours I will vary the colour being used to give a tonal difference between the jacket and trousers.

I would say that no one overall was exactly the same colour.

Then a black wash was applied over the entire figure, 2 or 3 coats normally, to add relief.

Here's the earlier picture I posted to save you hunting for it again.

971.JPG.45e72ffea7740fd2340ce78adcf08aaf.JPG

Hope this helps

Edited by KNP
  • Like 6

Glad I could be of assistance.

I always use Vallejo because of their fine pigments and ability to flow easily plus they can be thinned with water to make them into washes.

I always use Light Grey to prime, black can also be used but I find lighter colours battle to cover it - personal preference here.

The basic colour is Oxford Blue but then I generally mix Black Grey to darken or Light Grey or White Grey to lighten.

When mixing the colours I will vary the colour being used to give a tonal difference between the jacket and trousers.

Then a black wash was applied over the entire figure, 2 or 3 coats normally, to add relief.

attachicon.gif971.JPG

Hope this helps

Thanks Kevin,

So now the fun begins, looking forward to it and hopefully making my locos look better.

Will let you know how I get on. Although may take a while as I am a bit busy (and I'm retired !!!!)

• RMweb Gold

Which of the Vallejo flesh tones do you use please.

• RMweb Gold

And the moral is: To produce a great model you have to be an artist, like Kevin.

At the very least think like an artist. Think about the colours of things in the real world. Think about light and shade and texture. Think about materials. And think about age. Then think about the best techniques to portray those things and go for it.

(Not that I'm any kind of authority because I haven't modelled anything for decades! But that's just what struck me from the exchange above. Sorry everyone, I'll fetch me coat.)

Edited by Harlequin

And the moral is: To produce a great model you have to be an artist, like Kevin.

At the very least think like an artist. Think about the colours of things in the real world. Think about light and shade and texture. Think about materials. And think about age. Then think about the best techniques to portray those things and go for it.

(Not that I'm any kind of authority because I haven't modelled anything for decades! But that's just what struck me from the exchange above. Sorry everyone, I'll fetch me coat.)

Thanks but I wouldn't call myself an artist rather I'm someone that paints what I see, not what I think I see.

Agree with the comments above about light, texture, shade, age but add types of colours that would be used in the era modelled as well.

One other thing I would add is other than for tinting colours I rarely use black and white on their own.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 4

It was this picture that decided me it was time to update the lorry.....

Frosted glass!!!

Moulded ridges on wheels.......

Plain load body......

No signwriting on doors as originally envisaged?

Windscreen wipers.....must have fallen off?

A few other odds and ends needed, tie down rings, starting handle etc. etc.

Once I've finished the railcar I feel this will be my next project......

1109.png

Edited by KNP
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

An AEC of that vintage probably only had one windscreen wiper for the upper half of the drivers side, no other wipers..

I'm not sure when they were fitted to all vehicles, having just had a quick perusal of the net I've just come across this matador of 1941 ((and others on the road elsewhere). with no windscreen wipers..

http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p632364757/h2f4bdc0b#h2f4bdc0b

• Like 1

Been working on the railcar and whilst painting the inside suddenly realised there was some missing interior seats!!!!

Being No8 it did not have the toilet cubicle that the later ones had so the moulded 'box' was omitted but the cheeky people at Dapol had not added any seats back....you could see the mould line of where the cubicle was.

Well this was not on..... especially as I had now noticed it!!!

So a couple of very odd shape ones made from plastic and fitted.

IMG_3523.JPG.772c057d55b8813774af7231ad2dfb28.JPG

Just gone for a simple Olive Green seats with Beige Brown for the woodwork and Buff for the walls....

Bogies painted and weathered...

Edited by KNP
  • Like 12