Little Muddle

KNP

attachicon.gif1198.jpg

A busy day at Encombe Station, first time I think I can recall having all platforms full with passenger stock.

attachicon.gif1200.jpg

Still more action as a local goods train enters the station down line from Little Muddle.

attachicon.gif1199.jpg

and with the sun setting over the yard arm it was caught reflecting off the carriage windows before that too left for the west with the early evening service.

Still can't get to the bottom of what happened with the earlier washed out ones!

Need to start on the 'B set' to bring it in line with the rest of the rolling stock, the aerial picture clearly shows that with the colour of the roof!

But if its heading West, the sun wouldn't reflect in the windows.

Had to say it, I can't usually see anything to query on this layout!

All the best

• RMweb Gold

“But if its heading West, the sun wouldn't reflect in the windows.”

It would if you were standing behind it on the appropriate side (North side between March & September, otherwise South side)

Best

Simon

Ah but don't forget that on the Great Western the west end of some stations didn't exactly lie in a westerly direction ;)

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif1198.jpg

A busy day at Encombe Station, first time I think I can recall having all platforms full with passenger stock.

attachicon.gif1200.jpg

Still more action as a local goods train enters the station down line from Little Muddle.

attachicon.gif1199.jpg

and with the sun setting over the yard arm it was caught reflecting off the carriage windows before that too left for the west with the early evening service.

Still can't get to the bottom of what happened with the earlier washed out ones!

Need to start on the 'B set' to bring it in line with the rest of the rolling stock, the aerial picture clearly shows that with the colour of the roo

That last photo, in particular, is just stunning Kevin. I really don't see how it could get any better than that.

Ah but don't forget that on the Great Western the west end of some stations didn't exactly lie in a westerly direction ;)

Mike,

True of course, but the principle remains that the windows of a train heading westish can reflect the setting sun, as indeed they could on a train heading eastish..., but then you’d need to stand near the front of it

:)

(There’s an ongoing discussion about compensators on Jinty’s Talyllyn Junction thread at the mo’, you might enjoy)

Best

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I just can't take my eyes off the platform brickwork - all of a sudden just a plain brick wall will no longer do.....

My gast is continually flabbered by this layout.  I have never seen so much character and great modelling in one place.  I never even consider the gauge, or Peco track, or it's GWRness (sorry!) - it just all melds together.

I just can't take my eyes off the platform brickwork - all of a sudden just a plain brick wall will no longer do.....

My gast is continually flabbered by this layout.  I have never seen so much character and great modelling in one place.  I never even consider the gauge, or Peco track, or it's GWRness (sorry!) - it just all melds together.

Hey hey HEY!!! What's wrong with it's "GWRness"?!   :nono:

It is truly amazing work....

• RMweb Premium

It would be better with 'LNERness'......or even 'NewHaven-ness' ......the GWR is so Pennsy.....not sure if there's a Canadian equivalent! :jester:

Edited by New Haven Neil

That last photo, in particular, is just stunning Kevin. I really don't see how it could get any better than that.

Many thanks and your comments much appreciated.

The lighting effect was me just noticing a glare on some earlier pictures and thinking could I use it constructively, so I moved the lighting rig around until I got the reflection effect as best as I could.

Get the pictures better, well I'm certainly going to give it a try......

Thanks

I became a fan a few years ago of printed brick papers because of the varied colours they can easily give, I use Scalescenes and Model Railway Scenery as my main sources of paper.

The beauty of them is that if you run out I just go and print some more out!

My apologies for causing your gast to be so flabbered, hopefully the chemist can sort some form of liniment for you that can be rub on the affected areas!!!!

I can't do anything about the GWRness.......

Nothing......

Thanks

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You have spoiled us, Kevin, with a rush of photos from new angles of your masterpiece. It is a pity there is no mechanism to number the images so we can refer to them in retrospect but I loved the new view of your engine shed and wondered where you got the inspiration for those ventilators- they look really functional.

Among the alleged washed out series was a really lovely cameo showing a glimpse of the farmer’s alfresco lunch and a wonderful farm cart. That does it for me!

You have spoiled us, Kevin, with a rush of photos from new angles of your masterpiece. It is a pity there is no mechanism to number the images so we can refer to them in retrospect but I loved the new view of your engine shed and wondered where you got the inspiration for those ventilators- they look really functional.

Among the alleged washed out series was a really lovely cameo showing a glimpse of the farmer’s alfresco lunch and a wonderful farm cart. That does it for me!

Thanks.

The engine shed at Shipston-on-Stour.

From the excellent warwickshirerailways.com website

Link to site which has the basis of most of the Little Muddle buildings and track plan is

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/shipstononstour.htm

Edited by KNP

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pictures from stock.

attachicon.gif1201.jpg

Time for Ken to leap out of the way as he is currently standing by the track!

Strange how the curved backscene gives that vertical cloud effect.

attachicon.gif1202.jpg

attachicon.gif1203.jpg

B set now dismantled, windows removed, dust removed from the roof! and also need to sort out the bogies as this is one of the original models with the wrong ones - well they look wrong to me.

Which ones do I need to get to replace them please - I have seen mentioned they need a 7ft Collett - if so where from?

Thanks

Kevin, those are 7' Collett plate bogies. At the time, they were regarded as very good and I used many on kit built coaches as Dapol sold them as spares. The new Hornby 7' bogies are better but I don't know if they are available as spares (I suspect not).

Kevin, those are 7' Collett plate bogies. At the time, they were regarded as very good and I used many on kit built coaches as Dapol sold them as spares. The new Hornby 7' bogies are better but I don't know if they are available as spares (I suspect not).

This is one of the bogies that I removed.

The pictures I have been looking at for this coach, an E140 diagram I believe, look different - they have a tie bar across the bottom for example.

post-8925-0-48012500-1518862923_thumb.jpg

If they are correct then all well and good they will be weathered and refitted.

• RMweb Gold

The 7' bogies are AFAIK correct for the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby B set, but later bowenders and Collett flat end series B sets had the 9' bogies of the type used on the sunshine stock and other vehicles; it alters the look of the coaches considerably, making them appear shorter.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like I'll just have to get used to this GWR thing!

Joking aside, it is the consistency that makes this railway - the architecture, often a weak point in this loco-centric world (guilty...) is as good as the scenery and 'inside the fence' railway infrastructure.

The flabber is unlikely to fade, despite current medication!

• RMweb Premium

The 7' bogies are AFAIK correct for the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby B set, but later bowenders and Collett flat end series B sets had the 9' bogies of the type used on the sunshine stock and other vehicles; it alters the look of the coaches considerably, making them appear shorter.

E140s (as per Airfix/Dapol/Hornby) had 7' bogies. E145s had 9' plate bogies but were otherwise identical.

• RMweb Premium

This is one of the bogies that I removed.

The pictures I have been looking at for this coach, an E140 diagram I believe, look different - they have a tie bar across the bottom for example.

attachicon.gifIMG_3782.JPG

If they are correct then all well and good they will be weathered and refitted.

Easy enough to fit a tiebar Kevin. As gwrrob says, Comet make a kit but the Airfix etc. version is pretty good for RTR.

• RMweb Gold

E140s (as per Airfix/Dapol/Hornby) had 7' bogies. E145s had 9' plate bogies but were otherwise identical.

Here's the Comet range of bogies https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/?s=gwr+bogie&post_type=product

I built the pair of E129 brake composites and here's the bogies on that one.

post-126-0-06890600-1518865681_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Odds and ends day.

Moral of this picture always check when looking through the viewfinder that everything is attached when you move a model!!

attachicon.gif1204.jpg

Fireman - Where the bl**ding heck have my coal wagons gone!!!!!

It was the telegraph pole sticking out of the chimney that I noticed first.