Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

A while back on my Cakebox Challenge 'Long Walk Home' Mike (MikeOxon) provided me with a link to program that turned pictures into a hybrid paintings.

Its called Dynamic Auto-Painter that I did use on LWH but I have never bothered on LM, so with the lighting issues causing a few illumination problems I thought I would mess about and post a few on here for comments.

So using the picture of 5355 simmering quietly in the bay platform here are the three I have done.

1. Pastel

attachicon.gif1258.jpg

2.Glamour

attachicon.gif1259.jpg

3.Watercolour

attachicon.gif1260.jpg

First one took ages, the others where much quicker.

Any thoughts?

Yes, the "Glamour" one still seems to have her clothes on...

Thanks chaps for your comments, all appreciated no matter whether it is favourable or not.

I love trying different ideas out and personally felt the loco one did not quite work as I had hoped so as the last posting on this particular theme before I get back to some 'proper modelling!' here is the last few run through the program this evening.

As suggested I will include the original for comparison but this time the picture has concentrated on scenery.

Original

933.jpg.54e4ea12568c705a2ab7d1ad3fafa7d0.jpg

1. Realism

post-8925-0-21426700-1524341175_thumb.jpg

2.Benson 3

post-8925-0-64541300-1524341039_thumb.jpg

Now I do have one I quite like.......?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 5

I think I’ve concluded that I’m not a fan. I prefer the natural look!

Best

Simon

I think I agree with you Simon.

Thought I would give it a try and see what happened..........

Hmm - don't we want our backscenes NOT to look like watercolours?  (One reason I don't do my own.)

No so sure. There are very fine examples here (Kings Moreton to name one) where a well executed painted backscene blends perfectly with the feature landscape by remaining unobtrusive. I've seen some very average photo backscenes that look just that, they don't blend with the front and look as if added as an afterthought.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps for your comments, all appreciated no matter whether it is favourable or not.

I love trying different ideas out and personally felt the loco one did not quite work as I had hoped so as the last posting on this particular theme before I get back to some 'proper modelling!' here is the last few run through the program this evening.

As suggested I will include the original for comparison but this time the picture has concentrated on scenery.

Original

attachicon.gif933.jpg

1. Realism

attachicon.gif933_DAP_Realism.jpg

2.Benson 3

attachicon.gif933_DAP_Benson3.jpg

Now I do have one I quite like.......?

No 1 looks like one of those Artmaster painting-by-numbers things we used to do as kids.

No so sure. There are very fine examples here (Kings Moreton to name one) where a well executed painted backscene blends perfectly with the feature landscape by remaining unobtrusive. I've seen some very average photo backscenes that look just that, they don't blend with the front and look as if added as an afterthought.

‘One size’ doesn’t suit all. Whether the backdrop is an original customised painted one or comprises photographic images manipulated in Photoshop (or other digital program), getting the right balance between the model and its background is an art in itself. Some models require subtlety for effect and others have dramatic backscenes which can work well, sometimes in small dioramas.

I am intrigued by Jorn Pachl’s experiments between modelling and artist backdrops http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108170-collaboration-between-railway-modeller-and-artist/

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51

Be afraid, be very afraid.

It appears I'm about to go into 3D print......I am apparently in a queue?

AP18-0320Kevin20Phare.png.529e9f61ab0ca15aa1915806f49e48f2.png

So I'm one step nearer to arriving from Modelu!!!!!

Then the kingdom of Little Muddle will be mine,

Mine I say to rule from this fence I am leaning on,

Scanning all that is before me that forms my realm

One day, one day all this will be mine.....?

Errr.....it is all mine anyway so I have no idea what he is waffling on about, if he is going to cause this much trouble he stay in the plastic bag in the draw!!!!!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifAP18-03%20Kevin%20Phare.png

Errr.....it is all mine anyway so I have no idea what he is waffling on about, if he is going to cause this much trouble he stay in the plastic bag in the draw!!!!!

Now we have to guess the location from where Minikev will survey his kingdom. I think it will be on the river bank near the colonel watching the reflection of passing trains on the water.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifAP18-03%20Kevin%20Phare.png

I think you've spent too much time kicking that red golf ball around.