Heljan Class 47 replacement chassis

Anthony566

• RMweb Premium

I have 2 class 47's that seem to be expanding which is odd so i need to replace the chassis's but cant seem to find them anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction ??

Hi,

Olivias were selling several types of Heljan chassis on E-Bay recently. Don't know if they still are.

Hope you find one.

MickD.

Looking online it seems there are none available. ... i may just strip them down and keep the parts and maybe sell the bodies. ....

I do need to check my other Heljan locos to see if they are also expanding, its a lot of money going down the drain if they are all doing this.

Brian im not sure i have what it takes to do that :)

Thanks for the link MickD .... tamperman36 i am in the process of filling down each end of one of the chassis as this one does not look as bad as the other one so i might get a bit more time out of it but the other one has started to crack along the sides so i think that one will need replacing.

I have still not checked my other Heljan locos ill need to do that at the weekend.

Brian im not sure i have what it takes to do that :)

Thanks for the link MickD .... tamperman36 i am in the process of filling down each end of one of the chassis as this one does not look as bad as the other one so i might get a bit more time out of it but the other one has started to crack along the sides so i think that one will need replacing.

I have still not checked my other Heljan locos ill need to do that at the weekend.

If I've done it, anyone can.

If I've done it, anyone can.

You just need to make sure you assess it's viability before even attempting.

One of my chassis has grown and twisted throughout the length, bellied over the length and bulged across the width and vertical sides. I've kept it purely to see how much it keeps distorting!

So i have setup the replacement and it fits perfectly..

20170317_190955_zps07uhv7w2.jpg

20170317_191010_zps0ubya0lr.jpg

I have been through my locos and i have 10 more Heljan class 47's ..

Does anyone know if it was specific locos that are effected or all Heljan class 47's ??

I have 12 of these loco's and have looked at 9 of them so far and only two up to now are affected.

I simply put "Heljan 47" into the search box and got a number of results about chassis problems. The first one had a list of locos and their problems.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12798-Heljan-class-47s-do-i-own-£2400-of-scrap/

Brian

Thanks Brian im not sure how i missed this but thanks for the link ....

I have now been through all 12 of my Heljan 47's and only two of them were to tight the rest just slip on and off very easily. I now have new replacement chassis for both loco's.

Archived