If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello from the Scottish Borders

davecov

Hi everybody! I thought I should introduce myself having just signed up to the forum. I stumbled across this site when I Googled for information about Silhouette Cameo and JCL's huge thread came up in the results.

My name is Dave Coventry, I am 58 years old and live in the Scottish Borders in the village of Stow which now has a new station as part of the Borders Railway. I stopped modelling at the age of 17 when I joined the Royal Navy in 1976 but I returned to modelling in 2004 and the following year I founded The Airfix Tribute Forum . Since 2004 I have built about 220 models, the highlight for me being a 1/350 scratchbuild of HMS Queen Elizabeth that was built for the Royal Navy and displayed at her naming ceremony in July 2014.

I am a newbie when it comes to railway modelling having only made a few AIrfix/Dapol kits in recent years. Here is a modified and rather clean Airfix Signal Box that I built last year:

Signal_Box_GB_2016_062.JPG

Signal_Box_GB_2016_066.JPG

I have never had any sort of railway layout but it is my intention to have a small static layout so that I can show some of my completed Airfix/Dapol models. For the layout I have about fifty Airfix/Dapol kits sitting in boxes awaiting my attention (although they won't all be displayed together) and I would also like to build some buildings/infrastructure from scratch. I have always been comfortable using plastic card but my arthritis is making it much more difficult, hence my purchase of a Silhouette Cameo this week.

Having run the ATF for almost 12 years I appreciate just how much information a forum such as RMweb has hidden within and I am looking forward to spending a lot of time reading threads and asking questions from much more knowledgeable people than myself. I am also looking forward to making new friends!

Dave

Welcome aboard - there's a wealth of experience, help and knowledge available here, but I suspect that it might be us who will be learning from you, judging by your creation of the QE. Certainly something to be proud of. I drop in to your forum from time to time, being of that age who cut their modelling teeth on Airfix kits, and must have built nearly the whole range in my youthful modelling career, so I enjoy a bit of a nostalgia fest there once in a while.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Hello and Welcome......

You are just a few miles down the A7 from me and are the nearest person to me that I've come across on RMWeb!

There are a lot of us on here that are into modelling more things than the trains!

I'm into 1/48th military stuff - Airfix mainly.

Looking at what you have done in other areas, your skills, tips and knowledge will be useful to a lot of modellers - not just on here.

Thanks

Thank you all for your warm welcome, lads.

Phil, before moving to Stow in 2009 I lived in the Blackhall area of Edinburgh. The twenty-five mile distance between Edinburgh and Stow is, in Scottish Borders terms, just round the corner!

Dave

Hi 'Chard,

You must have forgotten how many times you have passed through Stow :O

Thanks

Aye, it's a lot, Phil - not by train yet though, a matter I intend to remedy very soon  :sungum:

Archived