DJM N gauge Crowdfunded King Class Steam Loco has started

DJM Dave

Hi Chris,

Please, if you get the chance, take a look at the 14xx's I've done for Hattons.

The colour used were matched in hue and sheen with 2 Bachmann locomotives.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Dave

As far as I can see from the photos, the colour looks very good indeed.

However, I don't thank you for reminding me what we are missing in N as far as a state-of-the-art 14XX goes! Perhaps you can help us out there, although I suppose that the artwork for the 14XX may reside with Hattons.

I'll for sure be in for at least one King, although I'd take rather more 14XXs than that.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

As far as I can see from the photos, the colour looks very good indeed.

However, I don't thank you for reminding me what we are missing in N as far as a state-of-the-art 14XX goes! Perhaps you can help us out there, although I suppose that the artwork for the 14XX may reside with Hattons.

I'll for sure be in for at least one King, although I'd take rather more 14XXs than that.

Chris

Hi Chris,

As I'm done with crowdfunding, certainly for the time being after the king and 92's, might this be something you would like to take forward?

It's all do'able if there's a will.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Chris,

As I'm done with crowdfunding, certainly for the time being after the king and 92's, might this be something you would like to take forward?

It's all do'able if there's a will.

Cheers

Dave

Food for thought. I'd worry that a newcomer like me (at least to RTR) does not hold the credibilty with the modelling fraternity that you or Hattons or Kernow do.

Once my current (non-model railway) projects are out of the way I could think about this.

Chris 

Food for thought. I'd worry that a newcomer like me (at least to RTR) does not hold the credibilty with the modelling fraternity that you or Hattons or Kernow do.

Once my current (non-model railway) projects are out of the way I could think about this.

Chris 

No worries,

contact me by PM to chat when your free and able.

cheers

Dave

I'm tempted by this- though as far as I know one never got up the ECML beyond York, at least not in BR days.

However Clun castle did work through to Newcastle after a gauging run hauled by a pair of new blue class 20s so if a Castle will fit Rule 1 says a King ought to.  A Schools also got to Darlington on a railtour hindered impressively by a 2P pilot.

Les

• Like 1

Please, if you get the chance, take a look at the 14xx's I've done for Hattons.

The colour used were matched in hue and sheen with 2 Bachmann locomotives.

The colour on the 1400s looks good. If you use the same shades for the King, I would be very happy.

post-28458-0-20044400-1465913214.jpg

H1414_3117986_Qty1_2.jpg

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago I commissioned Dave to build and paint a Fox- hunter King kit based on the Farish Castle chassis ; I chose King George 5th with the proverbially bell & whistle. Originally DC but now converted to DCC to run on Vale of Oxbury my exhibition layout. It still looks a good loco but now with the prospect of a state of the art King from DJM , I am relishing the prospect of running one or two on my layout hauling the crack express trains. Order placed.

• Like 3

I am really delighted that Dave has taken the plunge with this. I have ordered a couple, at this stage, and a possible third is very tempting!!!

I hope the publicity on the web and in the press give the project the profile it deserves with masses of modellers signing up.

Fingers crossed.

Ged

• Like 5

Hello everyone,

Just slightly over a week gone and the take up on the King, bearing in mind this is so far done by word of mouth, internet and the press havn't published yet, the project is off to a great start.

If this week keeps up we will easily reach the crowdfunding plateau required to make this all possible.

So here we have this weeks pie chart.

As you can see the demographic is quite interesting, but i'm very pleased to say we are over 100 'sign-ups'. To some this may not seem a lot, but i think it's a great start, and i envisage an acceleration of interest as the weeks go by.

Anyway, don't miss out, and please support this terrific crowdfunding initiative to give you a fantastic GWR 'ROYAL' for your layout.

cheers

Dave

DJModels Ltd

post-1144-0-81059200-1490104286.jpg

• Like 3

I think I have ordered one, should I have an email confirming this?

Don't want to miss out on a late crest King!

Might just have to order another with double chimney if it comes round.

Will there be a weathered version?

I think I have ordered one, should I have an email confirming this?

Don't want to miss out on a late crest King!

Might just have to order another with double chimney if it comes round.

Will there be a weathered version?

Hi,

Please PM me your e-mail name, and real name and I'll let you know.

As far as I'm aware, the bug that stopped certain confirmations for previous releases going out, was fixed as I haven't had a problem since.

Cheers

Dave

Although I have not signed up yet, I fully intend to do so for 1 and hopefully 2 Kings. Just need to release some funds from OO Gauge sales to fund their purchases, fingers crossed they sell in time for me to sign up

Although I have not signed up yet, I fully intend to do so for 1 and hopefully 2 Kings. Just need to release some funds from OO Gauge sales to fund their purchases, fingers crossed they sell in time for me to sign up

Hi Ed,

Don't forget signing up, isn't paying a penny until late June, and then only a deposit on each.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting how many people like the blue livery on a King. I think it is abominable.

Personally I think they quite suited. Nowhere near as much as their traditional GWR Green of course, but the blue has looked far worse on other locos.

Interesting how many people like the blue livery on a King. I think it is abominable.

Oh, it's not too bad. At first sight you do wonder though whether it's a quick 'Hornby Railroad' repaint so the loco can double as Gordon on a Thomas the Tank Engine weekend.

The proof was in the pudding and BR dropped the blue livery pretty sharpish when they realisd Brunswick Green looks much better on pretty much everything.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, but I won't be persuaded on this.

I don't have a particular problem with blue steam locos. A4s are good although I prefer Great Eastern shade. And blue is also fine on diesels and electrics, both UK and elsewhere.

It just does not suit a King and I suspect that it would look wrong on any taper-boilered loco. Worldwide, not too many railways opted for blue for steam locos.

Sorry, but I won't be persuaded on this.

I don't have a particular problem with blue steam locos. A4s are good although I prefer Great Eastern shade. And blue is also fine on diesels and electrics, both UK and elsewhere.

It just does not suit a King and I suspect that it would look wrong on any taper-boilered loco. Worldwide, not too many railways opted for blue for steam locos.

I totally agree that Kings don't look good in blue, as I said on Dave's earlier thread when he was assessing interest in an N gauge King. A4s and the old Caledonian locos are probably the only engines that I like in blue.

Dave 

I think part of it is the variety. My fleet is currently mostly green or black. That means I like the odd splash of colour like a maroon warship or a Desert Sand Western. Those are both late-crest models so having something for the early 50s will be nice.

Don't forget, the Kings actually wore 2 shades of blue. There was the early experimental dark blue with LNWR-style lining (I have seen this referred to variously as ultramarine or prussian blue).

post-5983-0-51218900-1409649016.jpg

• Like 2