If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

New Member from Yorkshire

Tim R-T-C

Hello all,

Just joined here as it looks like an active and interesting community.

I am getting back into modelling at the moment after a gap of about 15 years. I had a decent bedroom sized layout as a teenager - N Gauge, Birmingham, mid-60s setting - but it was a poor time for N Gauge, my residing memories are pre-Bachmann GFarish locomotives that were very poor runners even fresh out of the box and spending more time prodding them over pointwork than actually running them.

My now wife also had a history of modelling back in the day, running a Z-gauge layout for a couple of years and her grandad had a large attic-sized 00 layout, although sadly he passed before I met him.

So we are looking for a project to start together. I still have various bits of my N Gauge UK stock as well as a selection of American boxcars for an N Scale switching layout based around the classic 'timesaver' format I have planned for some time but never built. The trend of thinking at the moment for a main project that we could work on together is a contemporary-set layout, modelling a heritage railway. My wife is particularly into the scenic aspects and feels that a preserved line has lots of interesting facets and I do think the juxtaposition of stock from very different eras will be interesting. Although I love small gauges, I think 00 gauge would be better suited to this project as it will allow the greater detail needed to make it worthwhile.

We do not have a huge amount of spare space in our house, so I am planning to start off with a small terminus station atop a chest of drawers to begin with, to get back into the hobby and re-learn kit and building construction, maybe getting some more space allocated (or even a fold-away design) if we really get into the flow of things.

I have never seen a heritage railway modelled, would be interested to see some pictures if anyone knows of any and any very small station track plans in 00 gauge (talking 1 ft wide, 4 or 5 long).

Thanks for reading.

Archived