RMweb Transfer Utility

• RMweb Gold

Old RMweb is now working normally at:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/

which means that the Transfer Utility is now fully usable again.

Full details at: http://www.rmweb.co....ansfer-utility/

Thanks Andy. icon_thumbsup2.gif

regards,

Martin.

apart from the typo in the URL Martin wink.gif (now corrected)

I see Andy has fixed the problem with some later images not showing, top man biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

IMPORTANT: The Transfer Utility visits Old RMweb as a "Guest", so it can't access the forums which are available to members only, such as W&S.

However, you can copy posts from those forums if you are logged in on Old RMweb. Do this:

1. Go to the topic page.

2. View, Select All and Copy the page source. That's View > Page Source menu item in most browsers.

3. On the Transfer Utlility click the blue "paste page source directly instead" link instead of clicking button 3. Remember to set your User Name first.

regards,

Martin.

Hi,

I've just tried to access the utility and says the page is down. will this be back up soon? I've started a blog as thought it might be usefull but it's doesn't have the friendly "pub atmosphere" that the old Newport Thread did.

Cheers,

Giles

• RMweb Gold
I've just tried to access the utility and says the page is down. will this be back up soon?

Hi Giles,

Which page is down? Can you post a link?

Everything seems to be working fine for me.

Try pressing F5 in your browser to reload the page.

regards,

Martin.

Another big thumbs-up for this utility. Well done, Martin, and thanks for taking the time and trouble to create this program for us. I've transferred one of my old threads, and after a bit of practice, it became almost ludicrously easy to use. Brilliant!

Guest Digital

Thanks Martin works well.

I have put my old thread in the layout topics section. It appears as all one page.

How do I split it into pages like the old layout thread on the old RMWEB.

Edit,

Just decided to start over again

Thanks John

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Is your excellent utility hard-coded to the old RMWeb, or can it be used to transfer content from another phbb-based forum?

Hi PoA,

Interesting question. :)

It's customised for Old RMweb but it should work after a fashion on any phpBB3 forum if you set the theme to prosilver -- you may need to do some editing afterwards to tidy it up. You won't be able to use the URL option -- copy the page source and click the option on the utility to paste it directly. Try it and see, is the only real answer.

If you say which forum you are interested in I can advise better, and maybe modify the utility to suit. Some possible phpbb3 forums are:

http://www.scalefour.org/forum/

http://scalerail.phpbbhosts.co.uk

http://www.newrailwa...s.co.uk/Forums/

regards,

Martin.

Just an update to my previous words of thanks.

Having used this utility a few times now, I've been refining my procedure to make the transferred thread as legible as possible. Initially, I transferred a 7-page thread one page at a time, as the utility is intended to be used, but found that the result - 7 consecutive posts, all extremely long - was a bit off-putting to the casual viewer.

Subsequently, I've gone back over my copied threads, and with a bit of judicious cutting and pasting, have got to the point where each original page is now spread over 6-10 posts. I've found this to be a happy compromise between bulk and readability. This is not a criticism of the software, merely my take on how to use it to best advantage. Certainly, if the utility had not existed, I would run a mile from trying to copy over an entire multi-page thread!

One other observation - on a couple of occasions, I have noticed that, where a thread includes a reply by a member whose account has been de-activated, this can throw out the formatting of the transferred post. This may, of course, simply have been bad luck on my part, or it may be a loophole in the software. Either way, I spotted the problem, and there was enough flexibility in the system that I was able to tidy up the text satisfactorily.

• RMweb Gold
Having used this utility a few times now, I've been refining my procedure to make the transferred thread as legible as possible. Initially, I transferred a 7-page thread one page at a time, as the utility is intended to be used, but found that the result - 7 consecutive posts, all extremely long - was a bit off-putting to the casual viewer.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you found it useful. :)

I was concerned about the length of the resulting post. Including all 25 original posts is merely the default setting. There are some controls at top right on the Transfer Utility dialog to set which post on the page to start at, and how many posts to include. These settings need to be made before clicking Button 3 to fetch the page. This does require some pre-planning on the original page.

One other observation - on a couple of occasions, I have noticed that, where a thread includes a reply by a member whose account has been de-activated, this can throw out the formatting of the transferred post.

Sorry about that. It's not a situation which I came across while testing. If you can post a link to such a page, I will modify the program to fix the problem.

regards,

Martin.

I was concerned about the length of the resulting post. Including all 25 original posts is merely the default setting. There are some controls at top right on the Transfer Utility dialog to set which post on the page to start at, and how many posts to include. These settings need to be made before clicking Button 3 to fetch the page. This does require some pre-planning on the original page.

Ah - to be honest, I have just dived straight in without trying any of the clever stuff. I'm impressed (though not totally suprised) that you've thought of this problem.

... If you can post a link to such a page, I will modify the program to fix the problem.

This was the one I found troublesome: http://www.rmweb.co....ilit=british+ho . You will notice that on the bottom post but one of that page, the member's name is in black, not blue, and isn't clickable. I'm not certain, but it seemed to me that that was where the problem was located.

Is there any way of checking that a thread has not already been copied over (save searching for key phrases)?

Also is there an admin view on the value of copying relevant threads over or would Andy and the Mods prefer things to remain in the archive?

Hi Martin

When i go to the new site on my blog to post a entry page i dont get the HTML editing icon to click in the entry section

Any ideas ?

also when i create a blog to move my old topic to does it need to be local or a external blog i have two on my blog pages and now im not sure what to do to delete them to get the right on

Sorry im not to sure if i have done this right or not

Regards

JOHN

• RMweb Gold
When I go to the new site on my blog to post an entry page I don't get the HTML editing icon to click in the entry section

Hi John,

1. You must be using Firefox or Opera or IE6 or IE7 or IE8 browsers to use the Transfer Utility (Google Chrome and Safari are not supported by the RMweb RTE editor).

2. You must make this setting (at My Settings ):

rmweb0.png

also when I create a blog to move my old topic to does it need to be local or a external blog?

It's a local blog. External blogs are ones you create on other web sites, i.e. not RMweb.

regards,

Martin.

I have been trying to transfer a thread from the old forum to the new forum and I believe that I understand the process for a thread of one page. What is the procedure for transfering a thread which has multiple pages? If the answer is that the old material is transferred one page at a time then how are the pages linked in the new forum?

Thank you for your assistance, Grahan Beare

• RMweb Gold
I have been trying to transfer a thread from the old forum to the new forum and I believe that I understand the process for a thread of one page. What is the procedure for transfering a thread which has multiple pages? If the answer is that the old material is transferred one page at a time then how are the pages linked in the new forum?

Hi Graham,

Each page (or part of a page) on Old RMweb becomes a single post or blog entry here on New RMweb. So if you have multiple pages you can simply reply to the previous post in the same topic, once for each old page. Or add a fresh entry in your blog.

Be aware that this can create some very long topic pages -- you may prefer to create a fresh topic instead, and post a link to it at the bottom of the previous topic.

There are some controls top-right on the Transfer Utility to reduce the number of posts included for each page (make these setting before clicking button 3). This will require some pre-planning on Old RMweb.

For an example of a multiple page topic transferred, see (very long page): http://www.rmweb.co....s-p4-workbench/

regards,

Martin.

Archived