• 5 months later...

Progress on Holland Beck has been sporadic of late as most of time was taken up alterations to Cottleston ready for it's 2018 exhibitions. Without anywhere to set up the boards at the moment efforts have centred around the layout's buildings - the cottages on Carnival Lane and the Black Cat pub. Having something of a cricket commitment in the family pressure has been exerted for me to provide facilities for the Holland Beck and Barrow Cricket Club. I was recently presented with a Metcalfe P0410 Wooden Cricket Pavilion, which is a lovely little kit, but not quite what I was looking for. Having some time to waste of Father's Day today, I've taken some Evergreen 'clapboard' styrene and some left over Peco windows and used the Metcalfe kit as a template for this - 

post-16103-0-88615200-1529267924_thumb.jpeg

Part of the Metacalfe kit is shown alongside. I'm going to use the laser cut bits from the kit to make the verandah on my model. As there isn't much room for two teams to get changed inside, never mind have their teas, I'm going to add a Knightwing portacabin at the back as an impromptu extension while the groundsman's equipment is to be stored in a spare ISO container close by.

Inspired by a surprise landing by the Lincolnshire Ambucopter on the Skegness Cricket Club's outfield last summer (it was the closest they could get to their emergency response) I was pressured into replicating this unusual event on the layout. Instead of an ambucopter I have an Army Air Corps Gazelle which has made an unscheduled landing on the pitch - it would have been a Lynx, but the kits are difficult to find at the moment.

Having seen the recent news, and pictures https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6117/6232228466_4790b9bdee_b.jpg   of Transpennine Class 185s operating services on the Barton branch I may have to extend the fiddle yards. Is there likely to be a model of one any time soon?

Have fun.

Ben.

Hi

I believe that only the first and last return services from Cleethorpes to Barton are class 185s. Another very recent development is an exchange of 153 units for the branch services on Mon-Thurs evenings, that day's Northern class 153 departing to Lincoln attached to the 2117 East Midlands service, with a replacement Northern 153 coming in attached to East Midlands' 0442 Lincoln to Cleethorpes ecs the next morning. The exchange unit arrives in Lincoln off a Sheffield service. On Saturdays the unit change is made with the Northern Sheffield-Cleethorpes via Brigg services. As a 'prototype for everything', recent transfer from First Great Western 153373 did a spell on the branch

Edited by stevea

Hi

I believe that only the first and last return services from Cleethorpes to Barton are class 185s. Another very recent development is an exchange of 153 units for the branch services on Mon-Thurs evenings, that day's Northern class 153 departing to Lincoln attached to the 2117 East Midlands service, with a replacement Northern 153 coming in attached to East Midlands' 0442 Lincoln to Cleethorpes ecs the next morning. The exchange unit arrives in Lincoln off a Sheffield service. On Saturdays the unit change is made with the Northern Sheffield-Cleethorpes via Brigg services. As a 'prototype for everything', recent transfer from First Great Western 153373 did a spell on the branch

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information. You've just triggered the purchase of another 153 for my collection! I already have a Devon and Cornwall liveried example based on having seen one at Skegness in Central service.

I was planning on running Central/EMT liveried units on the layout, based on the Lincoln- New Holland Pier service that once ran. I'm sure the people of Lincoln would appreciate a good quality connection with the buses to Hull running from Barton.

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi, Ben

Have heard murmurs at work of consideration being given to a Lincoln to Barton service when East Midlands take over the Barton, but not sure how true that is. Makes some sense, as you mention, with a Lincoln to Hull service via bus connection, I suppose. Will have to see what develops

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

post-16103-0-81254700-1534190787_thumb.jpeg

Work in progress on Holland Beck's platform where it crosses the beck itself.

Through careful planning and not through any kind of fluke or sheer good luck, the gap between the two sections of platform over the beck is exactly the same size as a spare grill from a Hornby Class 60 I found in a spares box.

I really should be cracking on with the fiddley electrics around the signals and level crossing, but pottering about with the platform is very cathartic.

The layout's first exhibition outing will be to the Lincoln Modern Image Show in October 2019.

No pressure.

• Like 4

post-16103-0-11465800-1534234408_thumb.jpeg

A view of the whole length of the platform. It will take a two car unit, but the Barton end fiddle yard won't - I always like to have a platform that is longer than the passenger trains I intend to run, in my eyes it makes the layout look longer.

Many weeds need adding to the disused sections of the platforms, once I have added the fences and lamps. I've found a packet of Shawplan railing posts so I'm going to model the remains of the original Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway railings behind the modern platform fencing.

The big, crudely cut, rectangular hole is where the Up Main Home will sit when I've finished painting and weathering it.

• Like 5

post-16103-0-80798600-1534410977_thumb.jpeg

More progress being made, while avoiding the electrics.

Here is the Station Road level crossing looking towards New Holland and Grimsby with the level crossing gates positioned to test clearances. It is planned to have the gates moveable, but not motorised as with all the shunting movements over them there won't be much opportunity for road users and not much point in that level of fiddling and fettling.

Beyond them the main line curves off to the right with the switch panel awaiting positioning into a building.

To the left is the cricket pavilion, the portacabin houses the changing rooms with the other facilities in the adjacent scratch built building shown in an earlier post. Beyond that is the Gazelle helicopter.

Use of the single slip for the exchange sidings exit means that only the left hand siding has any access to the main line, which is why is has the shunting signal beside it.

To exit either of the sidings towards the camera will need the level crossing gates closing across the road, but to keep the signalling simple I was planning on just Stop and Await Instructions boards to control those movements over the crossing.

Instead, I was wondering about moving the shunting signal to a point just clear of the slip intending for it to control movements over the level crossing from either siding. I'm sure I've seen signalling diagrams with one shunting signal controlling exits from more than one siding. The concept in most rule books about 'Drivers, Shunters and Signallers coming to a clear understanding about shunting movements before they are carried out' should cover the potential route indication from the sidings.

Moving the signal also makes it possible to move the Gazelle a little closer to the cricket pavilion.

Ultimately modelling licence will allow me to put the signals where I like, but if there are any prototype examples out there that will help me at exhibitions when I confronted by the inevitable 'expert' telling me what I've done wrong with the signals.

Cheers,

Ben.

post-16103-0-80798600-1534410977_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

One signal for multiple sidings definitely exists, including some colour light installations. The red star parcels platform at Oxford is one that I think did; I thought I had a photo but can’t find it at present.

The level crossing makes it a bit more complicated and I would want a shunt signal protecting the gates from the other side too.

Definitely possible to have one shunt signal each side of the gates to protect both sidings and the xover out to the passenger line.

You probably know this already, but the slip points nearest the gates would be hand points in this application.

Paul.

One signal for multiple sidings definitely exists, including some colour light installations. The red star parcels platform at Oxford is one that I think did; I thought I had a photo but can’t find it at present.

The level crossing makes it a bit more complicated and I would want a shunt signal protecting the gates from the other side too.

Definitely possible to have one shunt signal each side of the gates to protect both sidings and the xover out to the passenger line.

You probably know this already, but the slip points nearest the gates would be hand points in this application.

Paul.

Thanks for that, Paul.

I'll be putting a shunting disc in on the West side of the crossing, I'm just not sure whether or not to make it a working model. I had though to have  a Stop board there to follow the minimalist signalling theme I'd set up for the layout (there is no disc to cover moves from the main line into the sidings) and thereby giving the shunter/crossing keeper some hand/flag signalling duties (though I'm not sure how to model that either!)

I was aware of the hand operation of the slip points, but thanks for pointing it out - you never know where to pitch the levels of your answers on forums like this. The rodding is in, mostly, for the crossover - I just have to finish off the runs to the B end of the crossover, then the level crossing locks. Then I'll be almost ready for ballasting!

Cheers,

Ben.

post-16103-0-00286900-1534587258_thumb.jpeg

All the visible rodding runs are now complete, for the points, gates and wicket gates. Cable runs for the signal wires are next and then I think I can start ballasting.

I'm not sure about the modelling of signal wires, happily this layout won't need many, but I am going to model a detector beside the points fitted with the economical facing point lock. As there is no track circuiting here the detector is a means of proving the points are fully swung and locked before the signal will clear.

I've also started on the final testing of the signal servos before the signals are installed.

First, another cricket match...

Cheers,

Ben.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

One of those modelling sessions today where I've spent a fair amount of time at it, but haven't got that much to show.

The main effort at the moment is to get the layout electrically complete so I can finally get stuck into the scenery. I confess I have been shying away from this for some time due to the perceived complexity of connecting the signals to the servo controller and wiring in the micro LEDs in the signal lamps.

Happily the controller is programmed, the signals are tested and two of them are now installed.

post-16103-0-09974100-1544910967_thumb.jpeg

Here is the Down Main Home, signal number 5. I will have to do something about the brightness of the LED, though if you compare it to the picture below of the Up Sidings Shunting Signal (number 7) which is fitted with the same type of LED, the same resister and is a much more realistic light.

post-16103-0-31516100-1544911248_thumb.jpeg

This signal is now in its new position where it protects the level crossing for both exchange sidings and signals trains from the sidings onto the main line.

Finally for now is a picture of locomotive number 2 of the Humber Logistics Services. Exposure to the corrosive, salt air along the River Humber is taking its toll on the paintwork.

post-16103-0-83469500-1544911530_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Today's main effort has been the frustrating, fiddly, but ultimately satisfying job of wiring up the warning lights for Carnival Bank level crossing.

Apologies for the poor quality photo, I did take a video because I was so excited, but it was too big to upload apparently and wasn't that exciting anyway.

post-16103-0-89702200-1544998379_thumb.jpeg

The parts are taken from the Wills Modern Level Crossing kit, the module that controls the timings and flashing comes from Train Tech and the micro LEDs come from Express Models - the LEDs supplied with the Train Tech module were much to big.

The joys of threading 6 hair-thin wires down each post was nothing compared to going on to work out which wire belonged to which LED and then which was positive and which negative. Then I had to solder a thicker wire to the filaments in order to give me a fighting chance of making the required connections to the sound/lighting module.

The exercise has made me realise that my fingers are too thick and my glasses too thin for that kind of work. Afterwards the whole nest of flimsy wires looked so untidy and so vulnerable that I fastened a tupperware box over it.

Electrics are something akin to witchcraft to me so I don't understand why the single, white micro LED I wired up to one of the flashing red LED circuits wouldn't work, despite being fully tested. I need the flashing white light working with the flashing red lights so a train driver approaching the crossing gets an indication that the crossing is working properly. That white light sits in the tall, signal looking structure just to the left of the road.

In the absence of a more rational solution I'm going to add another module.

The control panel has finally been installed in the back of the workshop building. Once it is wired in I should have full electrical control of all the track, signals, lights and equipment - fingers crossed.

• Like 2

post-16103-0-42427100-1545043786_thumb.jpg

Like many modellers I can't help myself putting out some models so I can visualise how the layout is going to look. This shot is looking towards New Holland and Grimsby with Station Road level crossing in the foreground and the workshops concealing the control panel off to the right.

Hopefully tonight I'll get the panel wired up and get some stuff moving.

• Like 2

More electrical work this afternoon - work may stop for the pre-Christmas panic of cleaning and present wrapping now, but the layout is in a good place. Trains have run, points have been thrown and the full range of movements exercised across the layout. In electrical terms all that is required to do is wire up the lights in the crossing keeper's hut, those on the stop sign on the truncated branch and the crossing gate lights. The gates will have to be weathered before i can install and wire them up.

post-16103-0-54568800-1545407322_thumb.jpeg

There is now a flashing white light to show drivers of Down trains that the crossing is functioning.

post-16103-0-83656200-1545407382_thumb.jpeg

Health and safety requirements in the Humber Logistics Services site mean their locos look like something from Close Encounters. It has orange strobes at each corner and a beacon on the roof.

post-16103-0-30488500-1545407452_thumb.jpeg

A service from Lincoln to Barton slows for  a station stop at Holland Beck.

post-16103-0-19962300-1545407497_thumb.jpeg

And a short while later heads back towards Lincoln.

Merry Christmas, everyone. I hope you have a good holiday and an excellent new year.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That's quite a nice little layout you've got coming on there, the Knightwing shunter inspired me to get mine out and build it.  I always thought it looked strange (for British eyes) with the platform on the end, but your yellow scheme makes it look quite good - especially the teeth!  I decided to slim mine down by about 2mm each side, and remove the end platform, just need to decide on a suitable colour... 

Thanks, JDW,

The teeth came from an old Revell Sea Vixen kit I never got around to building.

I've been operating another Knightwing shunter on my other layout, Cottleston, where it masquerades as an MoD shunter. They do need some weight adding to get the best from them.

Cheers,

Ben.

• 3 months later...

Work progressing on the Carnival Bank level crossing with the Stop board for down trains installed. It's a resized photo taken from the board protecting the crossing at Ferry Meadows on the Nene Valley Railway. 

IMG_20190505_171700.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ongoing work to Station Road level crossing. I decided to lose the canopy over the ground frame, I hope the crossing keeper won't mind. IMG_20190518_101303.jpg.7999c938455cc7138e7d8d49fbb92d0f.jpgIMG_20190518_101346.jpg.c4e52613d2738d3509e867106e0156b7.jpg

Meanwhile the Army Air Corps Gazelle helicopter is almost complete. It will be positioned on the edge of the cricket pitch after an emergency landing. 

IMG_20190518_101220.jpg.7ac8268ba139e415cdc06e5cffcf04e8.jpg

• Like 5

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:23, Moggs Eye said:

Ongoing work to Station Road level crossing. I decided to lose the canopy over the ground frame, I hope the crossing keeper won't mind. IMG_20190518_101303.jpg.7999c938455cc7138e7d8d49fbb92d0f.jpgIMG_20190518_101346.jpg.c4e52613d2738d3509e867106e0156b7.jpg

Meanwhile the Army Air Corps Gazelle helicopter is almost complete. It will be positioned on the edge of the cricket pitch after an emergency landing. 

IMG_20190518_101220.jpg.7ac8268ba139e415cdc06e5cffcf04e8.jpg

Another super update here..

thanks neil.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

IMG_20190630_184828.jpg.43795f4c3a9511b4fe72a95cd5b4b449.jpg

Holland Beck is almost complete, structurally and electrically now with just the scenery to finish once the fencing is down.

thumbnail-6.jpeg.3d6c320b64828f06c6515ea4cade2572.jpeg

I'm looking forward to October and its first exhibition now.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Further progress has seen the fencing contractors moving in. As much of the scenery will involve weeds and a general, modern unkempt appearance I'm putting in most of the structures in place.

Here are a couple of pictures of the current state of play.

thumbnail-7.jpeg.59048939af058ec6adf501d9d7f0007e.jpeg

Almost a driver's eye view looking west towards Barton on the approach to the station with the Humber Logistics Services shunter stopped in a convenient spot for its crew to have a brew with the crossing keeper.

thumbnail-6.jpeg.5d8127e112d351fd828ab157ec676e84.jpeg

With the train having gone on its way, peace returns.

• Like 10

On 27/08/2019 at 20:05, stivesnick said:

Looking good. Where is your first exhibition please?

Nick 

Hi Nick,

We'll be at the Lincoln Club's post-modernisation event at the Newark Showground in October.

The details are here;

Cheers,

Ben.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1