Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pictures of excellent modelling that inspire.

Re6/6

Did you get permission to publish these pictures from Pendon?

Also if your trip to Pendon inspired you, did you join Pendon and offer to help out. It is well worth joining as you will meet the modelers that built these models.

I joined in 1972/74 and met such as Guy Williams who passed on advice on Loco building and it was through his help and advice I went on to build 7mm scale locos. Also I was privileged to spend time with Roye England, visiting him on a Wednesday evening every week watching him work and picking up lots of tips on the technics he used to achieve those results you see on the buildings.

Many of todays well known modelers started out by being involved with this project and going on to be involved with the MRJ. I started there running Dartmoor on either Saturday or Sunday afternoon and went on getting involved in the modeling.

What stopped me continuing, it was all down to a new wife and a house to do up. 'Oh' happy days.

Loconuts

• RMweb Gold

Did you get permission to publish these pictures from Pendon?

Only the second post, and there's a needlessly combative tone? These are John's photos - there's no reason at all that he needed permission to publish them. He might

have needed permission to take them, but presumably that was granted. I've never seen a "do not take photographs" sign at Pendon and I know they have special events

where the glass covers are removed to allow better photgraphy.

Also, John lives nowhere near Pendon.

• Like 2

One of the most inspirational set of photo's for me, was when I first saw 'Tupdale' in Model Rail several years ago, there was a series on how Andy McMillan built the layout for a customer....

http://www.countrysidemodels.co.uk/gallery_tupdale/tupframes.htm

Only built in a small room, and basically a 'roundy-roundy' layout, but it was the detail that was stunning and so very, very cleverly thought out.... I kept all the articles ( I don't usually keep any magazines for long) and often look at them, using them for ideas and inspiration for my own shed layout - another roundy in a small space.

joe

• Like 3

They are a lot more relaxed these days and we are supporting an event that Pendon has for visitors to take photographs and enter into a competition. More details here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119502-pendon-museum-photographic-competition-and-workshop/

On the subject of Madder Valley here's some shots where the camera doesn't normally have access to.

attachicon.gifimage001.jpg

attachicon.gifimage002.jpg

attachicon.gifimage003.jpg

attachicon.gifimage004.jpg

attachicon.gifimage006.jpg

attachicon.gifimage007.jpg

attachicon.gifimage008.jpg

attachicon.gifimage009.jpg

attachicon.gifimage010.jpg

attachicon.gifimage011.jpg

attachicon.gifimage012.jpg

attachicon.gifimage013.jpg

Absolutely superb set of pictures which really show the quality of the modelling. Even the peeling overlays and warped sides on some of the buildings look natural. The colours and textures appear fresh and realistic.

I remember the black and white Madder Valley from early issus of The Modeller but when I saw it in the flesh at Pendon a few years ago I felt really let down. It looked quite neglected and run down. What rolling stock there was on show was just plonked on, some of it not even on the rails. The buildings looked as though they were covered in dust too. However Andy's set of pictures have reinstated this railway as one of my iconic model railways . Thank you for letting us see them.

Ian.

Edited by ian@stenochs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They are a lot more relaxed these days and we are supporting an event that Pendon has for visitors to take photographs and enter into a competition. More details here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119502-pendon-museum-photographic-competition-and-workshop/

On the subject of Madder Valley here's some shots where the camera doesn't normally have access to.

That's an absolutely great set of photos. One of the first magazines I remember having, and keeping for years, had an article called Madder Valley makes bricks. Of course the photos were fairly grainy b&w jobs, so it is a delight to see the brickworks in full colour - and the rest as well. Thank you.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3

" lochside "

BR blue Scottish, RM 1980 .

I was eight and it was the first time I'd seen a detailed DE layout, maybe it was Ian futers ?

Just happened to find this issue with lochside in today , even went as far as to build a replica of this when I was about 15 ! That was 37 years ago ! This type of layout was a total inspiration for me back in the day, simple but effective design thanks Mr Ian futers

Tetley's Mills never failed to blow me away, and the first time I saw Dave Shakespeare's stone walling I really could not believe I was not looking at a photo of the real thing in 12" to 1ft scale.

Sadly, Dave is not with us any more, but this video is a wonderful tribute - and gives inspiration by the bucketload.

• Like 10

Only the second post, and there's a needlessly combative tone? These are John's photos - there's no reason at all that he needed permission to publish them. He might

have needed permission to take them, but presumably that was granted. I've never seen a "do not take photographs" sign at Pendon and I know they have special events

where the glass covers are removed to allow better photgraphy.

Also, John lives nowhere near Pendon.

There was no intention in sounding combative in my post, too many people are taking crap photos on their i'phones and publishing them and thereby not doing the subject justice. Madder Valley is a early layout that came into being long before RTR and is a inspiration to anyone and Andy's photos do that (superb photos).

As to whether you have to live near Pendon to help out is also a myth, although I was fortunate to live up the road in Abingdon at the time they had many members who lived a lot further away. I believe I am right in saying many of the figures used on the Pendon scene were produced by an artist who lived in California. Guy Williams lived in Bristol and he was a regular visitor, pre M4 days, arriving in his mini, not an easy journey.

If you want to learn how to do real modeling and not rely on the latest imports from China then join Pendon, they are a friendly crowd and are only too willing to pass on their knowledge.

Loconuts  

• RMweb Premium

The modelling that inspired me more than anything else was the military dioramas and work of Francois Verlinden. As a youngster I used to buy the Tamiya catalogue every year and go straight to the Francois Verlinden dioramas that always formed the centre feature of the catalogue. His military dioramas were stunning and even today they still look stunning.