Right then, got the couplings, fitted them, and.... The loco could not pull them. Unsurprisingly the wheels weren't turning!
Following some advice, I filed down the ends of the axles and opened the holes a bit, and set about adding some weight.
I used some L-section styrene to build some underframe boxes, splashed some glue in there, and poured in 'liquid gravity - small lead pellets.
From outside it should hopefully look like reinforced solebars.
Here they are with the paint drying
I am pleased to say it works well! Skarloey can pull the train without many issues, but...
The curse of Talyllyn strikes again! I've just finished reading 'Talyllyn and Corris Locomotives Vol I and II' (great read, full of anecdotes and info) as well as 'The Chronicles of Pendre Sidings' (also a good'un) and the trials and tribulations of TR No.1's long fixed wheelbase.
What is happening now is that, without much in the way of springing or compensation in the trailing axle, over any undulation in the track, Skarloey's middle drivers are being lifted up and unable to make enough contact, resulting in wheelspin.
I'm going to see if simply adding weight will work. I removed the ballast weights early on to fit the RC gear, but I may be able to saw off the bunker weights (it's all one piece) and just glue the tank weights in on their own.
We shall see....
Edited by Corbs, 02 October 2017 - 20:55 .