Dapol announces O gauge BR 20T Brake Van

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

Looks like we might get more duplication then as the Little Loco Co have announced on the Gauge O Guild Forum that they will also produce a Brake Van - after the Ruston loco (due in Summer from a British factory !!) and an mystery Type 2 loco. 

Regarding overall release strategy, it is marginally more economical to produce large, small, large, small, etc. And as LLC operates from a small budget and we give a lot of our profit away to charities, we need any financial saving possible.

The Rustons are our small after the large BTH, the secretive Type 2 will follow and the brake van will follow that.

• Like 1

BR operated more types of brake van than this, surely there's great scope for variety.  Besides I just built the Slaters LNER van that was the precursor to the standard van, so I'd like to see something else.

Thanks for the heads up on the LLC brake, didn't know that.

John

Looks like we might get more duplication then as the Little Loco Co have announced on the Gauge O Guild Forum that they will also produce a Brake Van - after the Ruston loco (due in Summer from a British factory !!) and an mystery Type 2 loco.

Nice! British factory too-even better, lets hope quality and price are better (re the former) and in line (re the latter), the Type 2 is interesting too! Duplication of the BV concerns me though....

I wonder if it is early enough that one or other might change tack, particularly given Dapol's recent comments about development and tooling costs.

Lets hope so Hal, but with the BVs as they were numerous there are several variations that can be done which may encourage folk to have one from each manufacturer if they are based on different prototypes..

BR operated more types of brake van than this, surely there's great scope for variety. Besides I just built the Slaters LNER van that was the precursor to the standard van, so I'd like to see something else.

Thanks for the heads up on the LLC brake, didn't know that.

John

Agreed John,

I am part way through mildly modifying the Slaters van too, so two more versions would be welcome and IIRC there are just about enough variations-noticeable to the modeller-to be done w/o duplication (but they will all be LNER/BR variants-not sure if both manufacturers will be prepared to continue in such a vein as too risky?). Im guessing that some folk may only want one BV of this type. I only NEED a couple, but seem addicted to building them-and the only time I will use them all at once is in a BV special Ha ha!

A British manufacturer is an interesting variation and welcome AFAIC. Interestin that a couple of friends of mine work in the car industry and they are producing more and more-on the design side-in the UK, nearer to home (the Germans and French know UK is a massive car market with lots of luxury brand sales...the UK has a lot of leverage-but I digress). Logistically/practically producing in the UK must also be helpful to LLC. I hope, after wrestling with a few RTR opens-which had warped sides, due to not being allowed to cool in the tooling for long enough? A school boy error often made by hasty Chinese suppliers/manufacturers-with hot air and flat jaw pliers, that products from UK manufacturers, wont suffer from such short falls.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Just like buses......no RTR brake vans for years and now it seems suddenly we have two on the horizon!

I'm sure both will be good models now Richard Webster is involved with Dapol and I saw Steve's LLC Class 15 on our West Sussex O Guage Test Track last week and it is absolutely superb with great attention to detail.

Thanks to Neil at Dapol for sending over the following information.

BR Brake Van-1.jpg

Dapol are pleased to announce the manufacture of the British Railways standard 20 ton goods brake van. No layout would be complete without a couple of these vehicles and will be the fitting end to some of our new standard B.R. wagons and vans. We shall initially be producing the main series of brake vans encompassing Diagrams 1/504 (vacuum through piped) and 1/506 (Unfitted) manufactured between 1951 and 1957 totalling some 2,300 vehicles, however we also plan to produce the last batches of Diagrams 1/506 and 1/507 totalling 1,830 units, these having roller bearing axle boxes in place of the oil type and Oleo self-contained buffers.

• ABS body

• Die-cast chassis for added weight.

• A compensation beam to improve running qualities (standard to all later Dapol designed wagons)

• Sprung metal buffers

• Sprung metal couplings either instanter link or screw type where applicable

• Die-cast wheels with steel tyres

• Pin-point brass bearings

We are also considering including the option of interior lighting and sound. Design drawings and CADs are complete and approved for tool making which will start soon.

Production volumes are limited so place your order with your local stockist ASAP to avoid disappointment Please refer to the Dapol Digest for ongoing developments with this and future projects

Product Code Description MRP

7F-200-001 B951771 Grey CAO £79.95

7F-200-002 B952182 Grey £79.95

7F-200-003 B953095 Grey £79.95

7F-200-004 B951224 Bauxite CAP £79.95

7F-200-005 B952042 Bauxite £79.95

7F-200-006 B952978 Bauxite £79.95

7F-200-007 Unnumbered Grey £79.95

7F-200-008 Unnumbered Bauxite £79.95

• Like 6

Right on time, for when I've just finished a slaters kit...

Slaters is suitable for LNER and BR diag 1/500. We don't know what LLC has in mind, but the Dapol one is, as they say, a BR diag 1/504 and later. There are many minor differences between different batches.

Paul

Some prototype photos.

Product Code Description MRP

7F-200-001 B951771 Grey CAO £79.95  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan506/e2e9fd5ff

7F-200-002 B952182 Grey £79.95

7F-200-003 B953095 Grey £79.95   http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan504/e17154e

7F-200-004 B951224 Bauxite CAP £79.95  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan504/e1331ed9a

7F-200-005 B952042 Bauxite £79.95

7F-200-006 B952978 Bauxite £79.95   http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan504/ef06252b

7F-200-007 Unnumbered Grey £79.95

7F-200-008 Unnumbered Bauxite £79.95

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

Perhaps a silly question, but what is CAO and CAP?

Thanks for the pictures Paul, helps with context.

John

The Tops code. CA for caboose (a BR joke!) O for unfitted and P for piped. V would be vacuum braked. There are other brake codes such as A for air brake. Lots of books detail all of this.

Paul

Agreed Mr C, high fidelity RTR models will gut the kit market.  We haven't quite reached the saturation of 4mm yet though.  I like to build kits but if there's the same vehicle available RTR, I will probably opt for that.  As mentioned in another thread, even if the RTR isn't perfect, the minor issues can be corrected by the modeller.  Wouldn't it just spoil all the fun if we had perfect RTR?

John

Agreed Mr C, high fidelity RTR models will gut the kit market. We haven't quite reached the saturation of 4mm yet though. I like to build kits but if there's the same vehicle available RTR, I will probably opt for that. As mentioned in another thread, even if the RTR isn't perfect, the minor issues can be corrected by the modeller. Wouldn't it just spoil all the fun if we had perfect RTR?

John

Definitely! Besides which it will be cheaper to buy the rtr model than have me build the kit. Sadly... :D

I wonder if it is early enough that one or other might change tack, particularly given Dapol's recent comments about development and tooling costs.

Rather than have more duplication what about a 20T Stanier brake van which were built in large numbers over a long period and could be seen across the length and breadth of the country. I know I've banged on about it before but when is one of the RTR producers going to do a standard B.R. cattle wagon?  To the best of my knowledge no-one has ever produced one in 7mm scale even in kit form.

Ray.