Dapol announces O gauge BR 20T Brake Van

MGR Hooper!

Guest Q663389

I have been researching BR 20T Brake Vans for quite some time.

Have Dapol copied Slater's with respect to the curved rain strips on the roof ?. My understanding is they were straight but angled. I could be wrong however.

Edited by Q663389

Curved in the photo.

There many sorts of rain strip and the version Dapol are depicting is acceptable and not necessarily a copy.  I have learnt to accept that you can't please everyone with the models that Dapol produces for many different reasons, but I expect the model in this form will be very acceptable to most.  

This aside, having built a Slater's kit which (which was not perfect and a quiet a challenge at times to make) it will be a delight to just take one fully finished van out of the box for similar cost and likely to be a less fragile model.  Just hope it hits shops in good time.

• RMweb Premium

There many sorts of rain strip and the version Dapol are depicting is acceptable and not necessarily a copy. I have learnt to accept that you can't please everyone with the models that Dapol produces for many different reasons, but I expect the model in this form will be very acceptable to most.

This aside, having built a Slater's kit which (which was not perfect and a quiet a challenge at times to make) it will be a delight to just take one fully finished van out of the box for similar cost and likely to be a less fragile model. Just hope it hits shops in good time.

Just relaying info! Dapol, particularly post Lionheart merger, have been bringing out some good stuff.

That said, there are also surplus kits around secondhand at good prices now so everyone wins really.

There many sorts of rain strip and the version Dapol are depicting is acceptable and not necessarily a copy. I have learnt to accept that you can't please everyone with the models that Dapol produces for many different reasons, but I expect the model in this form will be very acceptable to most.

This aside, having built a Slater's kit which (which was not perfect and a quiet a challenge at times to make) it will be a delight to just take one fully finished van out of the box for similar cost and likely to be a less fragile model. Just hope it hits shops in good time.

Hi GMM, Indeed! The Slaters van isnt w/o its challenges in terms of construction and accuracy. Now RW/Lionheart are involved with Dapol, better accuracy should be expected from Dapol judging by recent releases. I have a few of the Dapol 12T vans, they aint perfect, but theyre good layout models (with a few tweaks). Slightly annoying that certain details are omitted but theyre easy to remedy. Now that Peco owns Parkside it will also be interesting to see if PSDs continous improvement continues. Im not too worried about the Dapol BV hitting the shops early/on time (I understand that the single-source factory in China is over worked-so dont hold your breath), but that the model is accurate and substantially complete...

Just relaying info! Dapol, particularly post Lionheart merger, have been bringing out some good stuff.

That said, there are also surplus kits around secondhand at good prices now so everyone wins really.

Thanks for Posting HN, a win/win if Dapol get this BV right, I love building kits but time is often in short supply so RTR helps get me to where I need to be.

Kind regards to all,

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I have been researching BR 20T Brake Vans for quite some time.

Have Dapol copied Slater's with respect to the curved rain strips on the roof ?. My understanding is they were straight but angled. I could be wrong however.

Yes, not easy to see on most of my numerous photos, but straight does seem to be usual. Many appear to be like this http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakediag507/e26a669a3 and some are much longer http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakediag507/e2710fd98  I accept that these, and others are some years after production and the canvas is poorly applied so I suspect the canvas is reapplied, which requires the rain strips to alter. I realise these are not suitable for the LNER, however they also appear to be straight http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerbrake/e2cccf219

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for Posting-looks quite nice doesnt it, always hard to tell from a photo, but shaping up well.

The brake yokes look to be in place, safety check rods would be good, as theyre quite noticable (but easy to retro fit)......hand rails etc look good and roof edges nice and thin.

ATVB

CME

• 2 weeks later...

My supplier hasnt!?

Are you talking about the 20T BV or the Hopper?

Mindu it wudnt surprise me, if its the 20T BV, as the word and phrase 'Dapol and effective communications', doesnt always go together!

If it is the 20T BV, it seems strange too that one minute theres a WIP EP (still being fettled) and that then jumps from WIP EP to production models in the shops and yet no 'decorated samples'??

Not sure if its the same in model rly manufacture but having worked in FMCG manufacturing on supplychain and procurement side, there is usually a set sequence of events and procedurers when introducing a new product. Perhaps Dapol are also now adopting FMCG practices? LOL!

ATVB

CME

Tower is showing new SR pillbox brake vans in stock.

Perhaps it's these?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Those will be reruns of new liveries and/or running numbers I suspect.....

Ummmm think I need to check what's coming.... And when then, cheers

It is confusing isnt it, the 20T BVs might be ready as Ive heard rumblings elsewhere, but I doubt it, more likely to be the June deadline (if we are lucky)-Dapol have issued decorated samples of other models in the past, so that looks like their MO?

ATVB

CME

Now then - would a grey BV always have been unfitted, and a bauxite BV fitted?  post-17823-0-83068900-1523212126.gif

That's what I would expect, but I'm having trouble finding photos from the 1964-1968 period to work it out for myself.

Some bauxite vans from the 70s - 80s (a fair few found on Paul Bartlet's website) seem to have no vacuum pipes, so would grey unfitted vans have been repainted into bauxite by this time?

Edit:  Is it reasonable to assume that fitted BVs would sometimes be seen on unfitted trains, or is that most unlikely?

Edited by Osgood