The Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway

Totally agree with your comments on the Accucraft Countess Paul, and the cab interior detail on the electric version made me want one - even if it was just to have as a static model indoors :O

Incidentally, the photo above is a Pearse (Earl) and Accucraft (Countess) in early preservation liveries which confuses some folk at first glance, cos The Earl was in green and The Countess was black.

post-31575-0-41694500-1491434051_thumb.jpg

Edited by Narrow Minded

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree with your comments on the Accucraft Countess Paul, and the cab interior detail on the electric version made me want one - even if it was just to have as a static model indoors :O 

Incidentally, the photo above is a Pearse (Earl) and Accucraft (Countess) in early preservation liveries which confuses some folk at first glance, cos The Earl was in green and The Countess was black.

Mine was quite happy inside or out ;)

post-6968-0-75681000-1491134376.jpg

I only sold mine on because it was a lot of money to have sat on a shelf once the layout was dismantled ;)

At least with the L&B loco I'll soon have a 009 replacement but looks like I may have to go O16.5 to replace the W&L one.

• Like 4

And those of us in the states thank them for allowing 45mm gauge operation.  When it takes most of the budget to afford the beasts, it means track must be found second hand.  Finding second hand 32mm track in the states is neary impossible.  But 45mm is easy.  I do not think I paid more than $4 a foot for all of my LGB 45 mm track that built my railway.  New LGB track is nearly $10 a foot these days.  But then I am going to base my modeling off the W&L, so the 45mm track is closer to prototype anyways!   Even my old Merlin Major looks ok on 45 mm track.   My Pearse Countess along with 2 Brandbright bogie coaches should arrive on the line this coming week hopefully.     Cheers   Mike

• Like 2

Certainly looks happy enough in the photo Paul :yes: 

Hasn't someone produced a 3D printed model in 009? I'm planning on modelling the "off-stage" ends of my fictitious line in the smaller scales, and both will (have to be) boxfile / micro layouts - it's why I spend time lurking around that area of the forum :rolleyes:

You're a man after my own heart Mike, everything is done here on a tight budget! Almost every item of track and commercial stock is second hand (I've become a dab-hand at re-gauging 32mm carriages and wagons to 45mm  :jester: ) and it took several years of buying cheaper, basic loco's and adding "bling", then trading them up until finally getting the two Beyer Peacock loco's :sungum:  Looking forward to seeing your Countess and coaches when they arrive :)

There's an old garden railway saying that goes "Make a mix while the sun shines" :jester:  and the Waingroves Quarry was in much need of attention, so, as tempting as it was to 'just run something' it got it today :sungum:

post-31575-0-56481100-1491150036_thumb.jpg

post-31575-0-36398900-1491150140_thumb.jpg

post-31575-0-23567000-1491150196_thumb.jpg

post-31575-0-48029900-1491150286_thumb.jpg

It's nice to have got the job done early in the running season - not only is it ticked off the "Jobs To Do" list, but it's got time to weather-in before we hit the summer ;)

• Like 5

I've just found the one I was thinking of Killian - it's one of Tom Bell's (TeeBee Models) https://www.shapeways.com/product/WY2F7UCRQ/oo9-w-l-loco?li=ostatus&optionId=43643642

No idea what chassis would look right under it though :no:

If one were going 'old school' it would be a hacked about lilliput or similar chassis, not sure that sort of thing is still in fashion though!

If one were going 'old school' it would be a hacked about lilliput or similar chassis, not sure that sort of thing is still in fashion though!

I've never been a "follower of fashion" :no:  and actually, I'm a bit of a fan of "old school" (still play 1st ed D&D) - here's one of Peter Jones old Compton Down loco's still earning its keep here on the W&L.

Very crude by todays standards, but I love it for its heritage connections.......

post-31575-0-15104200-1491171969_thumb.jpg

....... and I get a regular "fix" of the smell of burning meths and hot steam oil from my old Roundhouse Lady Anne ;)

post-31575-0-99431900-1491172241_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info - it's gone straight into my 'blue book' and I'll be keeping it for reference  :imsohappy: 

• Like 4

After that narrow window of opportunity to get the quarry section of the railway fettled, I'm stuck indoors again - a chance to do some more "catch-up".........

post-31575-0-43745200-1491301521.jpg

Westwood, the 'start' of the line, with Brinsley Lodge

post-31575-0-07888900-1491301835.jpg

and Robin Square

post-31575-0-18392700-1491300250_thumb.jpg

post-31575-0-39543400-1491300280_thumb.jpg

post-31575-0-94418000-1491300323_thumb.jpg

The first stop along the line is Sylan Halt in Codnor Valley, adjacent to the canal and "the falls"

post-31575-0-57110700-1491301486.jpg

post-31575-0-33650000-1491301433.jpg

post-31575-0-91251400-1491301637.jpg

Then we have Riddings Halt

post-31575-0-50345300-1491301993.jpg

and then Codnor Castle

post-31575-0-42823600-1491302078.jpg

where Waingroves Quarry joins the line

post-31575-0-74013300-1491302165.jpg

The 'passenger section' of the line ends at Loscoe

post-31575-0-17805300-1491302557_thumb.jpg

Edited by Narrow Minded
  • Like 4

My interest in narrow gauge modelling started many moons ago when I got a copy of this book....

post-31575-0-51457500-1491316678.jpg

so the current work-in-progress is this 3d printed loco from PDF Models

post-31575-0-87023300-1491316786_thumb.jpg

A cruel close up of the works plate completes the tribute - I only just made the 2016 deadline for the "commissioning" :declare:

post-31575-0-57727000-1491316855_thumb.jpg

It's currently set up to run manually, but when it comes in for lining I'm hoping to fit R/C.

• Like 2

Been playing with my friends Pearse "The Earl", changed out a couple of the very worn side rod sections.  Still a little weak when trying to self start when stopped, even in a LGB R2 curve.  Thinking I may have to go thru the cylinders for him.  Valve timing is spot on.  I will compare to my Countess when it arrives later this week.  Beautiful model, much more sensitive to uneven track work(of which I have plenty at the moment).  Trying to decide if I want to keep or sell/trade my Merlin Major.  He is named Hendey, lots of extra details, and the previous owner added a steam stop valve, blow down valve and water top up valve.  He could care less how rough my track work is!   And he was born in Welshpool, thats the main reason I am on the fence.  Right now my stable is 4 live steamers.  Merlin Major, Roundhouse Sammie w/full walschaerts valve motion, Accucraft Ruby #5(xmas gift from my wife) and the soon to arrive Pearse Countess.  I wont hijack his thread, but I will go start one for my railway.   Cheers   Mike

• Like 2

If you want my two cents I would keep hold of the major, in the US when are you going to find another? They're hard enough to come by over here, I would be having a serious think about having it myself (had I a little more money!) but shipping back to the UK would be a killer, I think I saw a mayflower on evilbay the other day

With the Welshpool running engines from all over, its not much of a stretch on a loosely modeled line to have a such an engine on the line.  Once Steve and I build the railway, which will be at my place. The actual engine roster will be a Mayflower and Major from Merlin, The Earl and his Countess from Pearse and possibly a Bertie later this year if the gentleman decides to sell it.  And yes, they are hard to come by, well anything UK style is hard to come by in the USA unless one orders a new Roundhouse engine.  The UK style engines that came up in an estate sale after a well known live steamer died suddenly this past January, sold quickly.  Mike

As I said early in this thread Mike, my line is freelance but somewhat influenced by the Welshpool & Llanfair :)

This is due in part to my own lack of available space (it's only a small garden), finances and modelling skills, but also, I can't resist models of other prototype loco's and stock that I have a soft spot for and so I decided to deliberately keep this option open ;)

The result is that I can run the line in effectively three different guises as the mood takes me - exclusively Welshpool & Llanfair stock, pseudo prototypically with a mixture of stock, and true freelance while the Welshpool & Llanfair stock stays on the shelf :rolleyes:  To be honest, the Pickering coaches are really too long for my railway (I have the GRS kits, acquired second hand and in need of 'remedial work' - only one composite coach is in good enough state to run at the moment, as part of a mixed train), so I tend to run the shorter GRS freelance coaches on a more regular basis instead, and they just 'look right'.

GRS composite.........

post-31575-0-43137600-1491349268.jpg

GRS freelance...........

post-31575-0-32257700-1491349360.jpg

It really is a case of "having your cake and eating it" IMHO, but remember, rule 1 always applies :blind:

• Like 5

I believe the coaches I got with my Countess are the same as your GRS Composite.  Just painted differently.  Both have full interiors and figures in them from the pics the estate trustee sent me.  I will sort of do what you are doing.  Line will be pseudo W&L(I would like to get a couple of the forthcoming Accucraft coaches) and when the mood strikes I will get out Sammie and run him.  Need to see what the recommend radius is for the forthcoming Accucraft Pickering coaches and see what the UK pound does in the mean time.  Would love to get 2 or 3 of them to pull with our two engines, might pass up getting the Bertie so I can get the coaches.  Our elevated line will be 70 foot by 55 foot "L" shaped raised line along 2 sides of my wood privacy fence.  A return loop is easy at the one end, other end I am working on ideas as my garden shed is there and I need room to open the doors and get the lawn mower and pool supplies out.  Seen some ides on how to do the raised benchwork on another forum that I plan to use.  With the ease of getting LGB rolling stock, I believe we will model the line as it is today. Much easier to get coaches and much more afforable for now.  I already have one of the brown Zillertal coaches.  And the green LGB 3062 coaches are real close to the Hungarian ones they use today.  Then get a few of the Accucraft W&L or a couple kits like a guards van and a few various wagons for mixed trains ect.  My idea is to be able to run the future railway as point to point, or continious loop when I just want to watch trains run.  Need to see if any of LGB's little diesels would make a good stand in for one of the W&L's heritage diesel fleet.   Finding UK looking stone and brick buildings is a real challenge over here.  Mike

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

OOoh. Are we having a rake of Zillertabahn carriages on the Westwood and Loscoe as well?

Damn, if I had realised I have an old LGB coach which I've registered to flog at P'boro. If it doesn't sell might you be interested?

Thank you kindly sir!

Can I be really cheeky, and ask you to pick up 2 sets of "NA36 Verandah Brackets for Coach Roofs Ziller coach style" from Cambrian Models if they're at the show please?

They can take ages to post out, and the postage would probably be more than the price of the brackets :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Thank you kindly sir!

Can I be really cheeky, and ask you to pick up 2 sets of "NA36 Verandah Brackets for Coach Roofs Ziller coach style" from Cambrian Models if they're at the show please?

They can take ages to post out, and the postage would probably be more than the price of the brackets :jester:

I'll try and remember. Will put a reminder on my phone. If I don't I have to order some for my carriage so I'll do a bulk order. They have given me discounts for that in the past.  :yes: