The Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway

Cheers O.B - all is chaos around me as I type (once we set off for Huyton today, I won't really 'touch base' again until Tuesday afternoon except for quick pit stops, so everything's got to be prepped today!)

Looking forward to getting back and catching up with all I've missed :mail:

We're back, and after the sun, sand, sea and sssssssssssiix gigs on the trot, I took a short break before dismantling the LGB coach.

Not much compared to the marvelous progress made by other forum members over the weekend, but I feel like I've at least achieved something :sungum:

• Like 2

Ha ha ! Actually, I might take up hill walking in Lincolnshire - I like a challenge  :jester:

Here's the coach down in 'Pentrich Sidings' after the fitters stripped it to its component parts

post-31575-0-38410900-1491991377_thumb.jpg

The clerestory and two roof brackets (the other two were missing) will go in the bits box.

How hard or easy would it be NM to convert one of those lovely coaches to 32mm??

Really easy - the wheelsets would want either swapping out (this'd be the best option, especially if you replaced em with metal wheels) or re-gauging.

The LGB hook & loop couplings come (you can just see in the photo) off by undoing a couple of screws, and then the centre buffer can be drilled for a three-link chain hook :)

If you want to check your clearances, the coach is 113mm (just under 4 1/2inch) wide.

I should get some progress made over the weekend - the shell is masked ready for priming and I've found my bottle of Humbrol Maskol for the doors (the glazing can't be removed from em without the risk of damage, and the molded window bars make applying masking tape a devil of a job)

Thanks Andy, it's an Accucraft "Caradoc".

I've owned one before, and regretted trading it away - this one appeared at the right price and at the right time (cosmic ordering??) Once the steam tests are out of the way, I'll be carrying out a series of basic mods to hopefully recreate my original, as seen below.

post-31575-0-16898800-1492301438.jpg

Edited by Narrow Minded
  • Like 3

I hope one day to have something similar running on my railway. A r/c live steam loco is the dream for me. Sadly cost is the barrier at present.

Why not go with the "burnt finger brigade" first Andy? You could always retrofit R/C later if you wanted, but I'd heartily recommend at least giving manual control a go first.

Not only will it keep the initial cost down, but the tactile experience itself is one not to be missed - plus, it's not always about the "driving", setting something running and sitting back with a beverage of choice is one of life's pleasures with a garden railway  ;)

I would love to have a live steam model, even if self driven. A need to save up to purchase one first. Of course I am yet to complete the track circuit for my line so I have time to do that. My garden railway is taking time due to the need to dig out the flower beds before the blocks are laid for the track to sit on.

One of the Roundhouse basic series would be perfect for you Andy, more affordable than the classic range and once run in, the Millie with her pot boiler can return runs nearly 45 min long.  I love my Sammie, even before I went wild and fitted different valve gear to him.   I would defiantly recommend saving your money for an engine from Roundhouse as your first engine.     Mike

And you can add on all the optional extras as your budget permits.  And they are all excellent.  Gives the engine more features that some of the popular classic range models such as the water sight glass(part of the water top up add on).  My Sammie has every option and then some!    Mike