The Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway

I started out in live steam as one of the "burnt finger brigade", running manually is one of my preferences and there's no batteries to charge before a quick steam-up :no:

Thanks to the gradients on my line, if I get the regulator and gas just right, trains will pause at Riddings Halt and Loscoe Station before self starting when the pressure rises - little things please little minds :scratchhead:

This is from May last year....

Edited by Narrow Minded
  • Like 3

Much prefer radio myself but that's my preference. I normally take the spring return out of my radio set then it stays where I put it and don't like getting out of my comfortably position. The only one I chase round is my coal fired edrigg, but that's what the wife is good at :sungum: In between operating the kettle that is   phil

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff NM. I always enjoy the challenge of getting the loco settings just right. I often do that with my radio control engines. I'm looking forward to when I have a loop so that I can let the engine wander round on its own accord.

Oh and great video!

Edited by vjoneslong

In the past, I've always wrapped a fine metal mesh sleeve arounf the Accucraft burner to improve the performance, but this time around I decided to try the "Bullet Burner" mod from 'Barley Pit Works'.

The old burner was sent away earlier this week, and this arrived in the post yesterday :imsohappy:

post-31575-0-96931700-1494150043_thumb.jpg

Just waiting for the chuff pipe and name plates now ;)

• Like 1

In the past, I've always wrapped a fine metal mesh sleeve arounf the Accucraft burner to improve the performance, but this time around I decided to try the "Bullet Burner" mod from 'Barley Pit Works'.

The old burner was sent away earlier this week, and this arrived in the post yesterday :imsohappy:

attachicon.gifburner.JPG

Just waiting for the chuff pipe and name plates now ;)

you should get a better performance from the loco with that burner especially on start up  phil

you should get a better performance from the loco with that burner especially on start up  phil

Thanks Phil, I've heard nothing but good reports on them, so thought I'd 'push the boat out' and get one (especially as I've no suitable mesh on hand to do the usual mod)

Thanks Phil, I've heard nothing but good reports on them, so thought I'd 'push the boat out' and get one (especially as I've no suitable mesh on hand to do the usual mod)

Yes they are good

only got the coal fired conversion edrigg now tend to stick to roundhouse locos now .I got fed up of trying to get spares etc .But I'm not saying that the newer models are not up to standard ,just wished their quality control was better. I  have the pierce countess in bits at the mo and that's had issues from new ,but that's another story although out of all my fleet  she is my favourite

I've owned several Accucraft loco's in the past (and have two currently on the roster) and TBH I've never had any quality issues - though I've heard the horror stories, and 'after sales support' has been faultless.

I even got sent a replacement crank completely free of charge when I messaged them asking for their recommendation for re-fitting a pin which had worked loose on an old secondhand loco I'd just bought and at a show when I asked Ian Pearse if the Accucraft whistles would fit the Pearse Countess (I'd just bought mine secondhand with only one whistle), he asked me to write down my snail mail address and he promptly sent me a pair - again, free of charge,

Small things I know, but very often it's the "small things" that make a huge difference. :angel:

I don't think there's any argument that Accucraft had issues in the past, but I really do think that they've made a tremendous effort to improve the situation and deserve every credit for their achievement :mail:

• RMweb Gold

Good to see progress NM. I too have fitted those burners to all my Accucraft and Pearse locos. It made some difference to most, but in particular my Lawley is now alot better (no rocket sound and I'm sure the gas tank lasts five minutes longer) and my Pearse Ulysses, where it has made such a difference that I can't hear if its run out of gas or not. 

I've never had problems with Accucraft service. They have been immensely helpful to me, and even helped me when my Pearse loco became sick. Top stuff!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Two quotes from railway history spring to mind...

The first, narrow gauge, regards the old Lynton and Barnstaple; "perchance it not but sleepeth"

and the second draws from standard gauge history namely when Gresley built his Pacifics, the GWR was heard to remark 'he needn't have gone to all that trouble, we could have sold the young man ours'.

This is unfortunately true NT, it's also unfortunate that Mother Nature doesn't, and so I now face the daunting task of clearing months of growth before I can re-open the line :drag:

Watch this space :yes:

Oh I don't know - it seems the WLLR was dormant last year but has sprung nicely back to life this year, esp given the return of your video editing skills.

While Accucraft aftersales comes up - I personally rate them. My Caradoc wore out its con rods [well, three owners will do that] and they were pleased to send me a new set along with C-Clips. Easily sorted.

Burners - I tried mesh on the toastrack burner's airhole, but this did very little. I chose to sort the burner and gastank issues out in a roundabout manner. Loco now steams like a witch.

• 2 weeks later...

Have only just found your thread. Outstandingly atmospheric and some true artistry in the way you have laid it out. Many thanks for sharing.

As an aside, for what it's worth, 0n the Accucraft issue, I have a Mortimer, and it has always fired very reliably and runs well. My Roundhouse Bertie is easier to steam up and more tolerant of low pressure, but I would not say there was that much to choose between them. However they have both been in storage now for some five years, whilst I get around to building my new railway after a move to France. I have now laid the first 10 metres or so of concrete track bed and will be starting up a new thread shortly - "The Belle End Railway". I just hope Bertie and Mortimer behave after a decent oil up and perhaps rings replacements. I have recently bought a Harlech Castle just in case.....

Look forward to new instalments on yours NM!

• 8 months later...

Anybody know if NM Greg' is still around? Was supposed to be a good mate but i have'nt heard anything for well over several months now, i would really like to return a few items i had borrowed at least even if for some reason he do'snt want to know us anymore! So if anybody knows if he still alive and lives at the same address i 'd be thankful then i can send the stuff back. Cheers :scratchhead:

He'll have contacts who prowl on here off other forums who'll know exactly whats happening with him, and another good member and friend on here 'Idris' of the Dragons friendly has also vanished without a word. I agree O.R. we've all had some really bad times over the last few years and all seemingly at the same time, i really thought helping and sharing with each other through them would be good for us all O.R. I know it helped me to chat and discuss stuff with like minded folks and friends on here. So please just let us have a word or two off anybody to say they are both OK and i'll be chuffed to bits....you are muched missed and we do care about you whatever you may think!  :friends:

• Like 1

I was always welcomed and was signed in as a guest of NM's who was a member at Butterley on all my visits there. Not sure if membership of the 16mm Association is a free pass in? Thing is its a two way thing and theres nowt we can do but wait if nobody wants to talk. Hopefully the gossip grapevine will bring results? Only one old forum member caused the troubles and he's tried to come acting the clever/funny guy on here, he'll know whats going on, but since his first posting on here he has'nt been back since.

• RMweb Gold

If NM was a member at Butterley the person I would ask if he knows how he is doing would be Brian Dominic who is a regular there. It may well be if he is not posting here he is also not going to Butterley. 

Don

I did see Brian Dominic at Butterley a few times but i'm not sure if he knew him that well O.R. There was talk by NM of him raising his garden line up a bit, and i'm sure he would have posted the progress here, but he was also getting very involved with the five inch gauge ride on stuff the last time i saw and spoke to him. :scratchhead:

Hi Don,

Thanks for your input and the information. Bob was a lot closer to NM than I was but I will see if I can make contact with Brian Dominic. Its much less now, but in my early days with garden railways, it was an area which sort of went beyond just the hobby itself. People were concerned for each other and tried to provide a little support even as almost total strangers. As I said its much less now even close to extinction sadly but I think there are enough of us still around to try and foster that ethic.

Thanks again Don.

regards

Brian is regularly on the 16mmNG Modellers' Assoc Yahoo site, which may be the best way of contacting him?