Bachmann Sound Deltic (Latest Model)

charliepetty

Just heard today from a customer who requested a reblow!   One its a non reblowable ESU American Select, and second after listening too it we now know why it wanted a reblow.  Sadly the guy bought a nice model with 'poor sounds'.  

I would suggest getting the model without sound and fitting a sound decoder from anywhere, as its probably better the the one fitted.   Charlie

Unfortunately some models are only available as sound-fitted.

I am hesitant to buy these because I don't know what I am getting. Maybe a Loksound v3.5 with a sound project I don't really like?

I would far prefer to buy the items separately so I know exactly what I am getting.

Sound chips are becoming more of a mine field, if someone advertises a class sound fitted, it's mite not mean the sound in it is correct or any good, I'm holding of buying Bachmann 47346 until I find out the chip in it as want it reblown, it mite be one of later bachy unreblowerable !

I can only echo the sentiments above.

If I'm spending that much money on a loco, I want to know I'm getting something I really like, or at least something I can get reblown by my sound provider of choice. I won't be buying any sound-fitted locos that can't be reblown unless I'm absolutely sure I will like the sound on it. It's a disappointing development, especially as the price of a sound-fitted loco hasn't plummeted because of it (as it has in the case of Hornby TTS for example).

Bachmann is tending to switch to the ESU LokSound Select, which is cheaper than the full v4 decoder, but not able to be reblown. Unfortunately, there is no list that I know of showing what sound decoders are in which locos.

Some older Bachmann and Hornby locos have LokSound v3.5 decoders, for which there are still sound reblows available, but not for all types (e.g. I recently reblew a Hornby class 56 with Legomanbiffo sounds for the v3.5).

So it is buyer beware, at the present time.

• RMweb Gold

Seems a backwards step by Bachmann. A loco with a V4 fitted is a package that will appeal both to the new to sound modeller and to those who want a particular loco and are happy to pay for a 'bundled' V4 at the same time safe in the knowledge that it can be reblown. The 'select' is both expensive and useless at the same time.

Sound chips are becoming more of a mine field, if someone advertises a class sound fitted, it's mite not mean the sound in it is correct or any good, I'm holding of buying Bachmann 47346 until I find out the chip in it as want it reblown, it mite be one of later bachy unreblowerable !

If this loco has been released in the last 20 months it will be a Non Reblowable Select decoder.  Charlie

I was defo going to get the 32-393DS Europheonix 37884 when Bachmann release it and maybe the new 32-733DS EWS 66040 as well but only if they are fitted with re-blowable ESU v4's for Biff to work his magic.

So just to confirm that Bachmann are now only fitting their factory sound loco's with cheaper ESU Select's restricting customers to their sounds...not good and really puts me off because those 2 loco's I mentioned are sound only thus defeats the purpose of buying them for a high price and then ripping them out to fit proper ESU sound decoders with the extra cost on top of that.

If you take the recent BR Blue 47 (47001) as an example, Bachmann offered it in either pristine condition with sound or weathered condition with no sound.

I opted for the sound version as I didn't want factory weathering and I knew the sound could be reblown. I ended up buying three (one of which has so far been reblown). If only pristine/non-reblowable sound and weathered/no sound options had been offered, I wouldn't have bought any.

Looking on the bright side, this new policy could end up saving me money. But it is going to cost Bachmann sales to me, which is a shame.

I really think they should look at offering a no sound/pristine condition option with all their models if they're going to go down this road. That would certainly keep me happy anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann is tending to switch to the ESU LokSound Select, which is cheaper than the full v4 decoder, but not able to be reblown. Unfortunately, there is no list that I know of showing what sound decoders are in which locos.

Some older Bachmann and Hornby locos have LokSound v3.5 decoders, for which there are still sound reblows available, but not for all types (e.g. I recently reblew a Hornby class 56 with Legomanbiffo sounds for the v3.5).

So it is buyer beware, at the present time.

There was a really useful thread on this very topic  - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83830-Bachmann-diesel-sound-locomotives-loksound-chip-versions/ - doesn't appear to have been updated recently though. As an aside, does anyone know whether 32-525DS 'D9007 Pinza' in two tone green is a V3.5 or a V4.0?

I may be wrong but looking at this logically, Bachmann are obviously doing this to make more money - I can see know other reason why they'd supply a loco with a sound only option...

They may be using the cheaper Loksound Select to keep the price of sound fitted locos from increasing even more ?......it would be helpful if they could state what decoder was fitted in their product description, we the buyers could then make an informed choice on purchasing or not, rather than having to discover that a Select is fitted AFTER making a purchase.....

• RMweb Gold

I made my feelings quite clear in the Bachmann 101 thread.

Its worth noting that you can reblow a select with a select projects and these can be downloaded from the ESU website (including some british sounds) not heard any yet so cant really comment, The limitation is that it would appear only ESU, and i suspect its UK distributor (SWD) has the capability of creating select projects!

Appreciate what your saying Ken but it doesent wash with me, Its understood the move to selects in train set locos was to deter the splitting of sets but adding nearly £100 quid to the RRP of standalone a model is a tad unrealistic. Esp when the trade price of a loksound V4 is below £60 when I last looked :) Bachmanns other tactic is fitting the more attractive pristine liveried locos with sound and leaving the weathered ones without sound........

Hornby did the right thing by being honest from the outset and even there mainstream models are now TTS which is not reblowable which makes it more limited, I'm willing to bet though that neither TTS mainstream locos or Bachmann factory fitted select locos will sell well at all!

The only thing that really bothers me is to newbies in DCC sound it creates a very poor first impression in that your stuck with poor quality sound on a expensive loco....why should you spend another £100 to rectify it...

Id personally like to see the modelling press put pressure on Bachmann to rebrand select fitted locos but if you now go on the opinion as Charlie said anything that came out in the last 18months will have a select in it, you cant go wrong really.

Ironically the 101 which is also select fitted has a pretty good sound project.....

So if 47346 has a select, I will put sound from it in to my 47001 (ex v4) and get sound from that reblown to a 55 and put that in a deltic, so then my 47001 has a differen sound chip in than originally. If I was to sell it in future should I mention it ( if I even remember it) ....... A retorical question!

A

look at ebay will show some modellers are stumping up absolutely stupid money for a second hand V3,5 !

Quite often the same price as a new V4 :nono:  

The mind boggles !

• RMweb Gold

A

look at ebay will show some modellers are stumping up absolutely stupid money for a second hand V3,5 !

Quite often the same price as a new V4 :nono:  

The mind boggles !

Don't put them off  - some of us still have 3.5's we need to move on! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thus I assume with the upcoming modern image loco's from Bachmann which include EWS & Europheonix will they have the sub-standard Select v4's fitted which cannot be re-blown?

If that's the case then Bachmann has lost 2 sales from me alone as I refuse pay upwards of £200 or more for their factory fitted sound loco's which are restricted and there is no way I'm going to pay another £100 or more for a proper sound chip & project.

Hope Bachmann are reading these threads.

Archived