Possible new commissions?

PenrithBeacon

I would love a D, but fear that I would have no use for such a large loco in my pre-grouping schemes (the largest pre-grouping locos I require will be LBSCR) and would not be able to justify the cost of a BR example (It would fit with my Redhill - Reading based layout far more than the Bulleid that currently manages semi-fast workings). If one were to be released below £150 (unlikely - a rails terrier totals at £140 if the deposit is included) in SECR Wainwright livery then I may be able to persuade someone to gift it to me as a Christmas or Birthday present, but I missed out on the H because the person who had been intending to get me one didn't order one quick enough.

A P is justifiable: my next layout is an ideal home for one, but a D is somewhat harder. If an LBSCR B1 should turn up though... that would be a different matter.

What's a 4-COR?! :jester:  Is that one of them third-rail electrickery things like wot the Saarf Western 'as? It'll ne'er catch on yer know - the over'ed system we 'as 'ere on the Brighton is far more effective, and i' shows tha' we is less of a cheapskate than wot they is! At any rate we still 'as steam down 'ere on the coast. They says they's goin' ter helectrickeryify the Brighton line, but with these new 'umongous tanke ingins I don't think the 60 minute times will be beat'n. They managed to get one of them nice Billinton B4's down there in just over 45 minutes, so quite how these 'lectrics will 'elp gawd only knows!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I hanker after BR Standard Class 3MTs used as Riddles, Cox and Bond intended: to make connections from lengthy secondary lines to electric-powered trains... ie in a direct step from Steam to Electric traction.  There were only twenty produced but there could and should have been more had the steam-to-diesel transition not been botched to the extent that it was.  Another thirty BR 3MT 77XXXs would have been far better than all the Clayton, North British Bo Bos, Baby Deltics and so on.... said of course with the benefit of hindsight!

77XXXs were attractive and would find a use on passenger formations up to six coaches, parcels trains, engineering department maintainance and inspection trains.

Black livery suits their 'starling' like looks, but late-crest green would be my choice.  The Bachmann 3MT tank continues to sell so why not a better looking and more versatile (longer range) tender version?  The obvious first choice would be 77014 which came to the Southern Region late in its life.

The problem with Bachmann standard 4MT 76XXXs and 5MT73XXXs is the way the lower part of the firebox overhangs the frames.  So I'd rather Hornby had a go at 77XXXs, made to the same standard as the stunning 4MT 75XXXs.  Here's hoping. 

Edited by SteffanLlwyd

• 5 months later...

Seeing that the Swanage Railway is currently restoring the LSWR Adams T3 hopefully to steam again I would like to see Rails commission this in 00 . Three versions could be done. Original Adams pea green, Drummond's more ornate green livery, and Southern Railway olive green.

Cheers,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I'm still waiting for someone to do a Johnson 2F 0-6-0. The scope for liveries and variations would be large for these locos which in their various guises were around for almost 90 years. Their light weight and small stature meant that over the years they got almost anywhere that the Midland and LMS operated from Bath to Barrow.

Some were also bought by the M&GN c1896 becoming LNER J41/J41 classes, the last being withdrawn in 1944. These ran to South Lynn and Yarmouth.

• Like 1

I’m guessing it’s only a matter of time before someone does an SECR D class. It’s an open goal and will fill the medium passenger gap of the SECR and it would accompany the C & H class perfectly. We got the the C class for freight work, H class for secondary & branch line passenger work & the P class for shunting. So the D would make sense.

Big James

• RMweb Gold

I'm still waiting for someone to do a Johnson 2F 0-6-0. The scope for liveries and variations would be large for these locos which in their various guises were around for almost 90 years. Their light weight and small stature meant that over the years they got almost anywhere that the Midland and LMS operated from Bath to Barrow.

Some were also bought by the M&GN c1896 becoming LNER J41/J41 classes, the last being withdrawn in 1944. These ran to South Lynn and Yarmouth.

Perhaps the myriad differences between individual members of ancient classes, when almost everything has been replaced at least twice, often using bits left over from scrapped locos, not necessarily of the same design, may actually be a disincentive to manufacturers choosing to cover them in model form.

If I were one and had read the thread that preceded the arrival of the Oxford Rail Dean Goods, I'd be inclined to steer well clear of such cans of worms.

On a hiding to nothing? :rtfm:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Given Rails are hooking up with Shildon / NRM / Locomotion Models then there are a number of ideas that can carry over, or mix with the Rail limited edition range that has been some success over the years. I think there is a need to avoid some engines that can be added to a companies general range.

Here are some of my suggestions for what could be done.

Steam:

NER Aerolite

NER A8 

NER B16 (all variants)* though I think this could be a general range release if not careful.

BR Standard 3MT

Thompson A2 (reckon might prove better seller than others think!)

Another Scottish Caledonian engine

Diesel:

More re-liveries of other existing tooling with partners.

GBRf 66s.
Hornby class 43s 43002/43185

More releases of the forthcoming class 55s model.

New tooling option: Class 43 - Warship

Units:

Class 141
Class 151 (Wild idea but I think that would prove popular for novelty ideas)

Stock:

NER Saloon (Old Gentleman's Coach from railway children)

GBRF  biomass wagons.

Colas log wagons (thought might be already being done).

-------

At least those are my guesses/suggestions...

• Like 1

Colas log wagons (thought might be already being done).

-------

At least those are my guesses/suggestions...

I would love see Hornby do the converted KFA log carrier wagons since they already do the KFA intermodal wagons...would look great behind my Colas 56 or 60.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps the myriad differences between individual members of ancient classes, when almost everything has been replaced at least twice, often using bits left over from scrapped locos, not necessarily of the same design, may actually be a disincentive to manufacturers choosing to cover them in model form.

If I were one and had read the thread that preceded the arrival of the Oxford Rail Dean Goods, I'd be inclined to steer well clear of such cans of worms. :rtfm:

On a hiding to nothing?

John

I see your point but the problem is not only limited to the old classes. When working in the north of London I tried to classify the variations within the 313 sets used on the LMR. I gave up half way through as I hadn't found two identical sets.

I think the biggest differences would be the choice of which boiler and cab to use, but for BR days they have a choice of  a few with original boilers or G6 boilers with Belpaire fireboxes and Johnson or Deeley cabs. 

• RMweb Premium

It is surprising that if an NER railcar can be produced then you would have though there might be some mileage in a prototype HST. 2 power cars with the one tooling. I suppose the cost maybe an issue for a pair. Genuinely didn’t see the electric railcar coming and couldn’t figure out why someone would produce one, until I saw the cover of Heritage Railway and there it was! I can see why now and it is a very attractive livery but it’s still a bit way out. But then it seems there are lots of trains now containing a dynamometer car! Who would have thought it!

Just wish there was a Rails of Glasgow . Then we could have a Glen, Gordon Highlander, Jones Goods etc

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

It is surprising that if an NER railcar can be produced then you would have though there might be some mileage in a prototype HST. 2 power cars with the one tooling. I suppose the cost maybe an issue for a pair. Genuinely didn’t see the electric railcar coming and couldn’t figure out why someone would produce one, until I saw the cover of Heritage Railway and there it was! I can see why now and it is a very attractive livery but it’s still a bit way out. But then it seems there are lots of trains now containing a dynamometer car! Who would have thought it!

Just wish there was a Rails of Glasgow . Then we could have a Glen, Gordon Highlander, Jones Goods etc

Dapol has 89% of the pre-orders it needs to start production of an N gauge version of the HST-P. That level of interest in N would suggest that an 00 gauge version would be viable. We would probably get it cheaper from Dapol than from Rapido.

Dapol has 89% of the pre-orders it needs to start production of an N gauge version of the HST-P. That level of interest in N would suggest that an 00 gauge version would be viable. We would probably get it cheaper from Dapol than from Rapido.

Except that no-one other than Dapol was proposing an N HST-P - they would be going up against Rapido and if you wanted something that would never likely be produced again you'd choose Rapido.  Remember the Twins - Bachmann and Dapol.....

I think that Dapol after a bit of a hiatus with N gauge is seeing opportunities again with Farish only slowly bringing product to market, my view is Dapol go where there are gaps - they have done this very successfully in the past in N when Farish was in the doldrums, they did it again in O and perhaps again they see a gap in N gauge to let them push some new products.  Another thing in favour of the N HST-P in N over OO is that Dapol has the chassis and the coaches

I hanker after BR Standard Class 3MTs used as Riddles, Cox and Bond intended: to make connections from lengthy secondary lines to electric-powered trains... ie in a direct step from Steam to Electric traction.  There were only twenty produced but there could and should have been more had the steam-to-diesel transition not been botched to the extent that it was.  Another thirty BR 3MT 77XXXs would have been far better than all the Clayton, North British Bo Bos, Baby Deltics and so on.... said of course with the benefit of hindsight!...

That's interesting, but don't you suspect that there were two more significant factors nothing to do with diesel locomotive traction units that really did for the BR std 3MT 2-6-0's chances?

Firstly, it is generally agreed that the BR std 4MT 2-6-0 was one of the best BR standard designs. Only a ton and a half more metal in the loco than the 3MT, and there was a machine that would stretch to class 5 performance. Why build a smaller capacity unit when for little more money a very much better machine could be got for all the proposed work you consider suitable for the 3MT? 

Secondly, the runaway success of DMU's for the secondary and shorter main line line passenger work. Steadily reducing call for steam and diesel traction units there as a result.

It got squeezed out I would suggest, between a superior alternative steam loco, and the DMU tsunami.

None of which precludes it getting a model in time ...

...Just wish there was a Rails of Glasgow . Then we could have a Glen, Gordon Highlander, Jones Goods etc

Clearly the SNP doesn't have any interest in railway modelling, or this would be arranged to end the Sassenach domination in model selections. ;-)

... they would be going up against Rapido and if you wanted something that would never likely be produced again you'd choose Rapido.  Remember the Twins - Bachmann and Dapol….

That would be the LMS twins. Yes, the Bachmann models were superior but those were Dapol models from a different era. We have had the 68s since. Speaking for myself, I’d chose Dapol, if only on cost grounds.

Besides. the Rapido project is in abeyance. If Dapol were to announce a 00 prototype HST, I can’t see Rapido rushing to duplicate it.

OO Works did round top and Belpaire versions in 2011/2012  according to their website.

So unless you can pick one up s/h, you might have a long wait.

That would be the LMS twins. Yes, the Bachmann models were superior but those were Dapol models from a different era. We have had the 68s since. Speaking for myself, I’d chose Dapol, if only on cost grounds.

Besides. the Rapido project is in abeyance. If Dapol were to announce a 00 prototype HST, I can’t see Rapido rushing to duplicate it.

I wonder if the NRM hold rights to it, in which case they may have licensed the N gauge version to Dapol but Rapido hold the OO gauge rights

I wonder if the NRM hold rights to it, in which case they may have licensed the N gauge version to Dapol but Rapido hold the OO gauge rights

Yes, but looking at it Rapido wanted to do the HST prototype, as part of a package.  They also planned the Mk3, but when Oxford announced a new Mk3...that scuppered it. 

Regards,

C.

I don't think it needs a new shop, just some interest in Scotish prototypes. Many(possibly most) of the items done recently are preserved items so they still exist, making model design a lot easier(scanning). A Jones Goods would make a nice model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m guessing it’s only a matter of time before someone does an SECR D class. It’s an open goal and will fill the medium passenger gap of the SECR and it would accompany the C & H class perfectly. We got the the C class for freight work, H class for secondary & branch line passenger work & the P class for shunting. So the D would make sense.

Big James

And it can carry that absolutely gorgeous SECR livery!

The fact that Bachmann's 592 was sold out on pre orders - as was Hornby's H is evidence the market likes it

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it needs a new shop, just some interest in Scotish prototypes. Many(possibly most) of the items done recently are preserved items so they still exist, making model design a lot easier(scanning). A Jones Goods would make a nice model.

Isn't the Jones Goods stuck in a very stupid (but very trendy so we are told by the 'creative' types) position in a Glasgow museum and thus is pretty impossible to Laser Scan?

Rails have done well with NER so far. The NER Dynomometer  car has sold out at the NER Railcar seems to be well received . Now for time for a NER Loco, B16, A2,A8, D17 or D20   or even better NER Clerestory Coaches.

Being a bit of a pedant I would like to point out that the A8 is LNER not NER. :)

They were rebuilt from the H1 4-4-4Ts in 1931. https://www.lner.info/locos/A/a8.php

Good luck with them getting one round Radius Two curves though. I've got a half built DJH one and it struggles going round an equivalent of about Radius Four. One of the reasons it's not finished is I'm pondering an alternative chassis.

NER coaches is a good call. I reckon a NER Clerestory Push/Pull Coach would go down well with those buying the G5.

Jason

Isn't the Jones Goods stuck in a very stupid (but very trendy so we are told by the 'creative' types) position in a Glasgow museum and thus is pretty impossible to Laser Scan?

Biggest problem with the Jones Goods is the minute "gap" between the leading and middle driving wheels. I've noticed that quite a few modellers have struggled with that. George Dent removed the flanges on his. 

http://georgedentmodelmaker.blogspot.com/2010/02/jones-goods-extra.html

Jason

And a 303/311, or 314 (which would facilitate their English cousins of the 313/315/507/508 family) !

• Like 1