Converting modern Hornby DMU to 3 Rail

Wolseley

I have been wanting a DMU to run alongside my collection of Hornby Dublo 3 rail but, unfortunately, the only Dublo production that comes close to satisfying this need in the suburban EMU which, as it is both rare and desirable, changes hands (on the odd occasion when one comes on the market) at prices well beyond my reach.

I decided I would either have to do without or convert something else.  I was looking for a Class 101 DMU, but when a Hornby R2297C Class 110 3 car Calder Vale DMU in BR green came up on eBay for a fraction of its value, I put in a bid and got it.  The vendor indicated that it was not running and he thought there was a problem with pick-ups (a couple of wheels on one of the trailing cars were loose too) which I didn't see as a problem (it turned out to be a simple broken connection) seeing as how I would have to alter them anyway.  Judging from the wheels, it has seen a fair bit of use, but the bodywork is almost as good as new. 

I was going to reverse the bogie at the non-powered end to get power collection from both outer rails, which will be pretty straightforward, but what would be the best way to arrange pick-up from the centre rail?  Would a Marklin skate be the way to go (and, if so, which one?) or is there a better way to do it?

I know this particular item of rolling stock isn't collectable or vintage, but I'm posting my question in this part of the forum as the people who would have an answer would be regulars here.

This is my Lima Cl.117( i think) which has been converted using a Marklin 7164 skate on the power bogie,it did need extra wiper pick ups to make it reliable.I should think this model is still available on the S/H markit.I use Marklin skates on neatly all of my converions,to illustrate,here are some pics.The first  is the Lima DMU,2nd is a Trix EM1,3rd & 4th  is an Airfix Royal scot.

Ray.post-4249-0-83133200-1490775669_thumb.jpgpost-4249-0-30614900-1490775717_thumb.jpgpost-4249-0-15279100-1490775806_thumb.jpgpost-4249-0-26572700-1490775847_thumb.jpg

Any old Triang multiple unit would look good as 3 rail, in fact I had to deconvert one unit from 3 to 2 rail years ago, being a 3 rail conversion made it very cheap to buy and easy to fix.

post-6952-0-31377800-1490780985.jpg

Personally I would add a set of these running 3 rail..

post-6952-0-65414100-1490781003.jpg

post-6952-0-51232900-1490781021.jpg

Any old Triang multiple unit would look good as 3 rail, in fact I had to deconvert one unit from 3 to 2 rail years ago, being a 3 rail conversion made it very cheap to buy and easy to fix.

attachicon.gif20170329_2044321.jpg

Personally I would add a set of these running 3 rail..

attachicon.gif20170329_2038001.jpg

attachicon.gif20170329_2038351.jpg

The second one is I gather quite rare in Australia. Over here they are rarer than finding hen's teeth and rocking horse manure together in a job lot.

My Tri-ang DMU runs happily on a Märklin skate under the unpowered bogie of the power car (the short type intended for carriage lighting). It did need a bit of extra weight however.

Modern Hornby has fine wheels, which might have problems with Dublo pointwork.

The second one is I gather quite rare in Australia. Over here they are rarer than finding hen's teeth and rocking horse manure together in a job lot.

I haven't seen one since the 1970s.  There is one advertised for sale at the moment for $1,500, which is pretty much what a good set of four cars, unboxed, could be expected to sell for.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/penshurst/collectables/very-rare-tri-ang-4-car-australian-nswr-sydney-suburban-electric/1141739250

I haven't seen one since the 1970s.  There is one advertised for sale at the moment for $1,500, which is pretty much what a good set of four cars, unboxed, could be expected to sell for.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/penshurst/collectables/very-rare-tri-ang-4-car-australian-nswr-sydney-suburban-electric/1141739250

:O   That is real money!  When I win the lottery..... (Even then SWMBO will not have to know the price!)

:O   That is real money!  When I win the lottery..... (Even then SWMBO will not have to know the price!)

Dublo has its track cleaning wagon, Tri-ang has its Sydney suburban sets.

I read somewhere once that there was a small batch produced in green, when a colour blind employee in the factory put a bag of the wrong coloured powder in the mix.  I do not know of anyone who has even seen one of these.

My Tri-ang DMU runs happily on a Märklin skate under the unpowered bogie of the power car (the short type intended for carriage lighting). It did need a bit of extra weight however.

Modern Hornby has fine wheels, which might have problems with Dublo pointwork.

Not sure if the Calder Valley set classes as "modern Hornby" given that it was introduced c1982. I think the ex-Triang steamrollers would have gone by then but I doubt if the wheel profile would have been RP25 exactly :).

Not sure if the Calder Valley set classes as "modern Hornby" given that it was introduced c1982. I think the ex-Triang steamrollers would have gone by then but I doubt if the wheel profile would have been RP25 exactly :).

By then the wheels would be Dublo standard. I don't think there is an RP25-125 which they might approximate.

EDIT

There is an RP25-126, but I'll have to check how closely it corresponds - not a lot I suspect.

Archived