Olivia's Trains BOC VBA and Cryogenics TEA

Mark Saunders

Paul

Thanks for the link to the photo's I could not find, however the vans are in BOC house colours rather than that produced by Olivia's!

Mark

What? The vans Olivia's show on their site are the same livery

Ah, just realised you maybe meant the body color, red rather than reddish brown?

Are these TEA's new mouldings. or reliveried existing models?

Just wondering?

Mike.

I cannot find any other mention of them on the Olivia's site, other than the one line mentioned with the vans. As far as I can see, only Hornby and Bachmann make UK TEA tanks at present. If it is true that they are expected later this year, and that there has been no mention of them before IIRC, then one must assume a re-livery of an existing model, at that speed.

I cannot find any other mention of them on the Olivia's site, other than the one line mentioned with the vans. As far as I can see, only Hornby and Bachmann make UK TEA tanks at present. If it is true that they are expected later this year, and that there has been no mention of them before IIRC, then one must assume a re-livery of an existing model, at that speed.

Wrong  :sungum:  Although I think delivery this year might be optimistic.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

Maybe, but I would have thought their version, of the post-2001 TEA version, was too modern for the BOC versions? Perhaps Paul B will explain his comment further.....

The comment on the Olivia site is clear enough. I can't reveal confidences.

Paul

The comment on the Olivia site is clear enough. I can't reveal confidences.

Paul

Regrettably Paul, the comment is entirely unclear, hence the speculation which you choose to ignore. We are not entirely stupid, as you imply. Much though I greatly respect your activities and enormous contributions to the hobby, and railway knowledge generally, without exception, your comments here are perhaps, somewhat without generosity to those of us without inside knowledge. Some may describe that as pomposity, but I would not comment.

What I would say is that Olivia's is dependent on its customers for its success or otherwise - i.e, those of us that buy its products. This is not the first thread that has criticised its pricing strategy, nor its overall customer service. It must know its market, to have survived as long as it has, and I have personally no gripe over service on the few occasions I have bought there. If you have inside connections, as you imply, we do not expect you to reveal matters commercial in confidence, but we would ask that you express our concerns about both their pricing strategy, but perhaps more importantly, their communications, in order to improve their expectations of commercial success. That sounds pompous too, but perhaps you will forgive like-for-like.

Regrettably Paul, the comment is entirely unclear, hence the speculation which you choose to ignore. We are not entirely stupid, as you imply. Much though I greatly respect your activities and enormous contributions to the hobby, and railway knowledge generally, without exception, your comments here are perhaps, somewhat without generosity to those of us without inside knowledge. Some may describe that as pomposity, but I would not comment.

What I would say is that Olivia's is dependent on its customers for its success or otherwise - i.e, those of us that buy its products. This is not the first thread that has criticised its pricing strategy, nor its overall customer service. It must know its market, to have survived as long as it has, and I have personally no gripe over service on the few occasions I have bought there. If you have inside connections, as you imply, we do not expect you to reveal matters commercial in confidence, but we would ask that you express our concerns about both their pricing strategy, but perhaps more importantly, their communications, in order to improve their expectations of commercial success. That sounds pompous too, but perhaps you will forgive like-for-like.

My comment was clearly on a comment that this must be a repaint of an available model whereas Olivia have cleary said a manufacturer has been found. I though I had made it abundantly clear it is a new model. The post was wrong in that it said it was a repaint of an existing model. Total speculation which was wrong. As to timing, nothing to do with me, but getting information on a type gone to the great marshalling yard in the sky may not be straightforward. I don't know anything about Olivia trains. i'm certainly not getting involved with pricing policy, I'm elderly so remember when models were expensive, as recently discussed elsewhere on RMWeb

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

• RMweb Gold

Did any one say it must be a re livery of an existing model, (CBA to re read all the posts againTBH), Olivias website doesn't state anything about a new and retooled model, (not that I can find anyway),, to state a manufacturer has been found doesn't to me specify much at all, Hornby could manufacture the wrong tank and re livery it?

Mike.

• 5 weeks later...

£70 for the pristine TEA wagon and £75 for the weathered one.

They are going to produce multiple versions including two different bogie types and represent both types of brake wheels. Also differing liveries for liquid Nitrogen, Oxygen, CO2 etc. There is a possibility that they may offer a 3 pack (like RevolutioN have done) for a combined saving.

The CAD looks very impressive (although I have no idea what a good CAD or bad CAD look like). This is a brand new tooling comissioned by Heljan. Not sure if tooling has commenced so time scales are anyones guess. They were hoping for Christmas at the latest and may air freight in like they did for the EM1/2, which would save time on shipping.

Regarding the VAA/VBA - you get one free for a rake of 10 TEAs. The next van would be half price after that.

Hope this helps to clarify. I have no affiliations here but wish them all the best with this project.

£70 for the pristine TEA wagon and £75 for the weathered one.

They are going to produce multiple versions including two different bogie types and represent both types of brake wheels. Also differing liveries for liquid Nitrogen, Oxygen, CO2 etc. There is a possibility that they may offer a 3 pack (like RevolutioN have done) for a combined saving.

The CAD looks very impressive (although I have no idea what a good CAD or bad CAD look like). This is a brand new tooling comissioned by Heljan. Not sure if tooling has commenced so time scales are anyones guess. They were hoping for Christmas at the latest and may air freight in like they did for the EM1/2, which would save time on shipping.

Regarding the VAA/VBA - you get one free for a rake of 10 TEAs. The next van would be half price after that.

Hope this helps to clarify. I have no affiliations here but wish them all the best with this project.

I can't find it on the Olivia's website can you provide a link please?

Mark Saunders

I can't find it on the Olivia's website can you provide a link please?

Mark Saunders

There's no official mention on the website apart from the statement you will have seen connected to the van in the latest additions section.

I guess they will want to get further down the line before inviting pre-orders.

There's no official mention on the website apart from the statement you will have seen connected to the van in the latest additions section.

I guess they will want to get further down the line before inviting pre-orders.

Ok but where are these CAD's of the Cryogenics tanks and mention o prices?

Mark

• RMweb Gold

We know how much a bogie tanker starting from scratch costs thanks to Revolution, so we seem to be expected to pay some £25 on cost for the privilege of these.

Mike.

Hi Mike

I'm not trying to defend Olivia's, but there are a couple of important factors which could make their costs different to ours:

- how many they expect to sell (this is probably the biggest influence if they want to pay for the tooling cost from one run)

- what profit margins both Olivia's and Heljan want to make

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

We know how much a bogie tanker starting from scratch costs thanks to Revolution, so we seem to be expected to pay some £25 on cost for the privilege of these.

Mike.

Sorry, but we don't. We know how much it costs Revolution to make one, not Olivia's. Different companies can have very different costs, and that can have a huge affect on price. For example, are they both VAT registered? Do they both have comparable business rates...

I am not defending Olivia's (who I am not a fan of) but I do get fed up with this constant complaining about costs without facts to really support the complaint.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, but we don't. We know how much it costs Revolution to make one, not Olivia's. Different companies can have very different costs, and that can have a huge affect on price. For example, are they both VAT registered? Do they both have comparable business rates...

I am not defending Olivia's (who I am not a fan of) but I do get fed up with this constant complaining about costs without facts to really support the complaint.

Roy

It's got nothing to do with how much it costs to make one, I'm referring, (not complaining), to the selling costs, a benchmark has been set, and we can rightly or wrongly make inferences from the facts we have to hand.

Mike.