Sandra leaving Locomotion

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

In the latest newsletter, Sandra has announced that she will be leaving Locomotion at Easter

I only ever talked to her a few times, but she was always cheery, answering the "where's my XXX-E?" with good grace every time.

You will be missed and good luck in the future.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

Locomotion are about to loose a great asset. She ran the ship very well, and for that reason along with her hospitality skills, actually made me want to buy 'over the counter' rather than to purchace via mail order. I don't think that can be said for any other model shop in the UK.

Wishing you well for the future.

Edited by srihaggis
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was so impressed when, seeing my York address, Sandra brought my newly-released Ivatt Atlantic to the York Easter Show a couple of years ago rather than posting it, on the off chance that I would visit their stand and mention it, which by chance I did and the loco was duly handed over more quickly than would have been possible by post!

Best wishes for the future Sandra, and best wishes too to Locomotion without her!

Sandra, sorry to hear that you're leaving and I hope you will enjoy 'life after Shildon'

I am sure that Sandra would like to be staying, but someone within the Science Museum knows better, everyone I believe at Shildon wishes see was allowed to stay, this is just NRM politics I think,  Sadly civil servants have little grasp on the real world of sales and service.  Sandra was 100% Shildon and seemed to love the job, I hope someone there in the future reverses this decision, Sandra I believe will be at the York Show for the last time.    Very sad news for a very nice person.    Charlie

• Like 1

Only spoke to her a few times but did make a point of meeting her at Warley a couple of years ago and all I can say is she will be a great loss to Locomotion and I would also like to wish her well for the future.

I had just a few conversations with Sandra here and by mail. She was always very kind and cared as soon as possible. She was also the reason why I pre-ordered the "Evening Star" class 66 blind. I don't normally do this (except Charlie's 156). But I trusted her and I knew that my order was in good hands and everything will be alright.

I am very sad to read in the yesterday's newsletter that she is leaving the NRM.

Sandra, I wish you all the best!

Awwww, thank you everyone for all your loveliness and best wishes. I have had quite a few emails today and messages on here that I am quite touched .... You are a very nice bunch!!

I will miss locomotionmodels and am disappointed to miss all the great models planned for this year and there are some beauties coming up...(am I going to tell you what they are???? Nope that's part of the fun - you have to guess!!!).

I really have enjoyed my job and at times it has been bloomin hard work, especially shipping thousands of apt-e boxes, but it has been very rewarding.

We have managed to join the dots around the world where our customers live and I didn't believe it were possible for a small outfit in a cupboard to be known so far and wide!

As for the future...who knows what I might get up to!! I may get a job or just be a 'lady what lunches' !

If you are going to York show stop by and say hi and bye, we are in a different spot to last year so please find us!

Mwah x

Sandra ❤️

• RMweb Gold

All the best Sandra

Thanks for finding me an APT-E after they'd sold out and I forgot to order it !

There are a few good model shops who would do well to recognise your skill (how many other threads are there specifically about an individuals service to the hobby on here)...

Failing that, if youve had enough of us train nerds and want something new, print out these threads and show them at your next interview as a reference to your customer service skill popularity for other industries.. they'd be mad to ignore it !

All the best !

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

All the best Sandra

Thanks for finding me an APT-E after they'd sold out and I forgot to order it !

There are a few good model shops who would do well to recognise your skill (how many other threads are there specifically about an individuals service to the hobby on here)...

Failing that, if youve had enough of us train nerds and want something new, print out these threads and show them at your next interview as a reference to your customer service skill popularity for other industries.. they'd be mad to ignore it !

All the best !

On finding out of stock items, one Sandra story I will always appreciate was after I inquired if there were any pale blue Deltic's left.

Sandra said no, they have all been gone for long while, ...

... but let me check something she said. 

A little later she told me she might be able to get me one.

Where from I asked, as we all would.

"From the police station" said Sandra !

It turns out the Deltic had been held in evidence at the station (police not rail) having been stolen from the Locomotion shop many months before, but then recovered.  

Sharon suspected the legal system would eventually be done with the Deltic once the case was concluded.

Well it took a little while, but eventually Sandra broke it free out of jail.  

It is still running very nicely in Canada, though at the time I suspect Sandra thought it would have been funnier to send it to Australia given its brush with law.

Good luck Sandra, and I hope you get a call back when locomotion is swamped and needs help.

Tom

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Sad news indeed but good luck Sandra whatever you do! Thank you very much for helping me get the class 20, I think if I hadn't given you a call.....I'd still be trying to work things out :scratchhead:

All the best...you will be missed.

Rgds........Mike in Oz

Edited by ikks

On finding out of stock items, one Sandra story I will always appreciate was after I inquired if there were any pale blue Deltic's left.

Sandra said no, they have all been gone for long while, ...

... but let me check something she said. 

A little later she told me she might be able to get me one.

Where from I asked, as we all would.

"From the police station" said Sandra !

It turns out the Deltic had been held in evidence at the station (police not rail) having been stolen from the Locomotion shop many months before, but then recovered.  

Sharon suspected the legal system would eventually be done with the Deltic once the case was concluded.

Well it took a little while, but eventually Sandra broke it free out of jail.  

It is still running very nicely in Canada, though at the time I suspect Sandra thought it would have been funnier to send it to Australia given its brush with law.

Good luck Sandra, and I hope you get a call back when locomotion is swamped and needs help.

Tom

Ha ha!! I'd forgotten all about that but yes very true!! It went amiss during one of our events and was recovered a couple of miles away by the police. It received a short sentence of 6 months or so before being released back into the care if the cupboard!

Glad it's still running around and didn't suffer any nasty after effects from the experience

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What can I say that hasn't already been said.

I had the pleasure of meeting Sandra for the first time about a year ago and she has always been polite, professional and cheerful even when she has been in the middle of packing for a show and the phone never seamed to stop ringing.

As Mr Petty has said she will be a big loss to Shildon and I hope this isn't the last we have heard from her!!!!!!

Good luck in what ever you do next and keep in touch!!

Cheers

Simon

I purchased my BR weathered Ivatt Atlantic from Sandra at a show, being the most expensive

of all the Atlantics ( I don't know why, it has the simplest livery ) I asked her if she could do

anything with the price. No she said and offered me a sweet !.

Only met her that once, lovely lady. Sad loss to the NRM.

• Like 2

I'd echo everything thats been said, a big loss to the Museum.

I've no idea what the circumstances are that have brought this about but with the gifting of museum assets to outside organisations, the general dumbing down of the NRM and this, it does beg the question as to where the direction of the place is coming from? 

Your departure is a great loss to the hobby, as others have said your customer service was 2nd to none and i am gobsmacked your leaving.

In my brief number of dealing i have had with you, both in person and on the phone you have been an absolute star.

Lets hope someone sees sense and reverses the decision  

Good luck to the future, take care.

Edited by 47423

Have to say that Sandra really has made this role her own, bringing a wonderful mix of professionalism, decidation and northern humour that have helped expand the range and role that the museum can showcase.

Its a big loss to Shildon, but I wish her well for the future.

:friends: 

• 2 weeks later...

When i had a problem ordering the NRM HST online i rung up Locomotion Models and have to say Sandra is one of the best for customer service nothing was too much trouble when i asked about other models. I was that impressed with her help that i brought the Flying Scotsman pack at the same time.

When Sandra leaves it will be a big loss to Locomotion Models and the Museum as a whole. 

Good luck in the future.

Cheers,

Samuel. 

From the comments here, I'm going to guess that where ever she goes, she will bring good cheer and very happy customers/clients/etc.  Instead of being sad about a hobby loss, perhaps we should be glad over the number of folks who were "won over" into the hobby by meeting her.  I'm sure there are a few.  Although I never met you, nor locomotion, I've met many like you in my life, for which I am always happy about.  Good luck!