A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Eskdale Green Circ 1890-1910

• RMweb Gold

Marc, 

Not sure if you've used the online OS maps site before - it has the R&ER featured quite nicely on the 1900 plan - including Eskdale Green:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=18&lat=54.3865&lon=-3.3183&layers=39&b=7&point=54.3866,-3.3179

Hopefully this is of some use to you - shall be watching with interest :-)

Cheers, 

Neil

It was seeing the 1 mile to 6 inch map which showed me that there was a siding.

The wheels I ordered from slaters arrived this morning, so I can get on with the stock. still not finalised layout of the baseboards I was hoping to use the G&H boards with the valancees but as the station is on a curve i'm also looking at uing the curved boards.

Marc

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a suggestion for couplings for 7mm NG? The original stock had chopper couplings. I'm also building so Tallyllyn stock at the moment so as suggestions for couplings for them would be good as well.

Marc

• 1 month later...

Hello Marc,

good luck with this, I did Irton Rd in 09 and got to know T'Owd Ratty pretty well. Eskdale Green now bears no relation to how it was! But there are some photos around. I can dig around if you like, I donated most of my Ratty materials.

If you are considering including a train [which looks optional] then there is a guy who appaerntly produces the Millwall Extension railway manning wardle 2-4-0T in 7mm scale - which is relevant because above the running plate it is near identical with Devon & Nab Gill, the Ratty locos. Hope this helps!

Dava

Just had a look at the 7mm Millwall loco I might be able to print most of the locos which will make life easier.

Marc

Hi All,

I have a printed 4mm Millwall Extension M.W from Shapeways, maybe they could produce one in 7mm?

Ian B

There is a Beta version of the Millwall Extension Railway Manning Wardle in 7mm scale. I have ordered one and found suitable wheels from Slaters. Just have to figure out a motor+gearbox combination that will fit.

From what I know of the prototype, the 3'0" Old Ratty Manning Wardles were almost identical above the footplate.

Hi Martin,

The only difference I can find is the fire box. The R&ER loco's fire boxes are the same height as the boilers where as the fire box on the Millwall seam to be raised. Not sure what the engineering reason for the difference is.

I will be posting the 3D mock ups of the wagons shortly.

Marc 

• 1 month later...

Planning is now nearly finished so I will post the track plan shortly. in the mean time I have finished the design work on the 3 plank opens. I found a photo of some being used a temporary summer coaching stock around 1900. So The front wagon has had its door removed on one side and will have benches added to it. I'm also about 75% through designing the 2 plank drop side and the brake van.   

post-13539-0-25451800-1509036970.jpg

post-13539-0-04307800-1509037061.jpg

post-13539-0-25451800-1509036970.jpg

post-13539-0-04307800-1509037061.jpg

• Like 8

If you are using the body from the Millwall Manning Wardle, you may have to modify the buffer beams - the front one is easily enough cut off with a razor saw, but the rear one is integrated with the bunker and may prove more difficult. I have been fettling the standard gauge version. The cab is surprisingly strong, but you will need to spend some time with spray filler/primer and sandpaper to get the right finish. I vaguely remember that the old Triang-Jinty chassis had approximately the right spacing for one of the Manning Wardle 0-6-0s.

Use a sharp craft knife with a straight chisel-end blade to remove the air compressor and the front springs if necessary.

We are starting from scratch with everything. The loco's will be printed in the whole but the chassis and coupling rods will be etched nickel silver. Not sure how I'm going to build the coachesbut it could be sides and ends rather than complete prints.

Marc

Started work on the saloon coach having spent most of Saturday measuring the reconstruction which sit pride of place in the new museum at Ravenglass.

I do have a question for the collective how do you move the topic from its current location to the cameo competition section?

Marc

• 3 weeks later...

Mr UPS delivered these this morning. Going to be demonstrating building the layout this weekend at Workington show. I have a full size plan, the rails, the sleepers, wood stain and now the first of the rolling stock.  

The 3plk without the door will be fitted with benches as extra coaching stock.

Marc

post-13539-0-16869800-1510956334_thumb.jpg

post-13539-0-72419600-1510956348_thumb.jpg

post-13539-0-95114200-1510956359_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've only just come accross this topic, a great project, and I will be following closely.

Have you heard the legend about Eskdale Green station?  Apparently there was some grumbling about the rather basic passenger facilities; and the story goes that a farmhand was sent to the station to collect a chicken-coop that was being delivered, and came back with the station building...

• RMweb Premium

Eskdale Green station was luxury compared with the 'facilities' at Boot old station. It's the hut on the right in the photo, over the stream....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=boot+station+eskdale&rlz=1C9BKJA_enCA613CA613&hl=en-GB&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdgpjpiL_YAhUMDMAKHcAqC_MQ_AUIEigC&biw=1024&bih=653#imgrc=EX6d35exR_pd6M:

Dava

• Like 1

Eskdale Green station was luxury compared with the 'facilities' at Boot old station. It's the hut on the right in the photo, over the stream....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=boot+station+eskdale&rlz=1C9BKJA_enCA613CA613&hl=en-GB&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdgpjpiL_YAhUMDMAKHcAqC_MQ_AUIEigC&biw=1024&bih=653#imgrc=EX6d35exR_pd6M:

Dava

All the station buildings, apart from ravenglass and Miterdale had the same building.

Boot did have a toilet.

Marc

• RMweb Premium

Something that's always struck me as odd, is that the locos faced downhill.  With the firebox at the uphill end, there is more chance of the firebox crown being uncovered when the water in the boiler was low.

On a self-contained line of this nature, uphill all the way, the convention would be that locos would be chimney-first uphill.

Cheers, Dave.