The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

Makes you sick do'snt it how some folks get great looks and great talents like acting or singing and/or go through life with the silver spoon stuck in there smug gobs etc.  :jester: whilst us mere mortals get more than our fair share of the crap!  :dontknow: Sorry to hear you're not too well phil' pleases take it easy and do'nt over do it....coz i reet fancy a visit down to yours this Summer :sungum: Are you going to the 'O' gauge show in Leigh on the 28th phil'? 

• Like 1

Makes you sick do'snt it how some folks get great looks and great talents like acting or singing and/or go through life with the silver spoon stuck in there smug gobs etc.  :jester: whilst us mere mortals get more than our fair share of the crap!  :dontknow: Sorry to hear you're not too well phil' pleases take it easy and do'nt over do it....coz i reet fancy a visit down to yours this Summer :sungum: Are you going to the 'O' gauge show in Leigh on the 28th phil'? 

No mate  I cant  do another gauge  ,  Although when I was doing 0 gauge   I would have liked the ready to run stuff that is out there now . The 08 and jinty are gorgeous .Did the York show really enjoyed that .I intend to do museum of transport mrx Manchester  19/20 may  That's a great little show in the bus museum .I do hope you can come down for a run sometime  look forward to it.

Sounds like a good show that bus museum do phil' so i've wrote it on the calendar!  I'm just covering my bets at the minute in doing the other gauges, something to fall back on or move into when the Brown stuff hits the fan again. Nice Sunny dry day again yesterday so i managed to get the ballasting finished, i used my usual granite chippings mixed 50/50 with pure cement in a dry mix then brushed and firmed into the track gaps, and the excess brushed off later. I covered it over for protection which was for the best as it's not stopped raining since seven pm. last eve'  :crazy: So i'll drop back onto the 'O' gauge stuff today.  ;)

post-31611-0-35205700-1523342016_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-49569500-1523342049_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-03828600-1523342070_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Yes! O.R. two more tins of the pound shop matt Black were bought yesterday and i'm just waiting for the next full 24 hour dry day to return.  That's good news about the loco' O.R. I hope it arrives safe and sound for you.  :drink_mini:

Sounds like a very nice legacy and a fitting tribute O.R. As O.R. and 44690 already know i totally had the opposite experience  this Christmas when my younger and only Sister passed away on Xmas eve' and the DSS refused to help us out to pay for a basic paupers funeral because our elderly Mother was said to be able to have enough assets or savings she could sell off/use, not fair to lumber my 81 year old Mum with a bill that would leave her totally wanting so i sold my Roundhouse 'Jack' loco' to help out. At least i'm lucky enough to still have two live steamers that swmbo can always sell off to pay for my funeral :jester: ...and don't worry! if i did'nt laugh about it all i'd probably go feckin' Ga-Ga!  :crazy: Good thing we have this great hobby and friends to keep our minds off things.  :friends:

Got some more plastic tubs filled with plants put along side the re-laid track yesterday. The ballast has set solid and i should be able to remove a few track fixing screws by the end of this week. Hope you notice that the track is now leaning over on the curve the right way! :jester:  The warmer weather is on its way so they say! ...might get to run something next week!  :locomotive:  

post-31611-0-25902800-1523516164_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-88730100-1523516196_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I am happy to report that I visited the McMullen Coal Company light railway yesterday and although no trains were running, I can confirm that repairs are almost complete.

I look forward to news of the reopening special train.

Ian

• Like 2

Thanks Ian, always great to have a visit by a like minded person to keep me going and give me the verbal kick up the rear i need to carry on at times, although i said i was'nt doing much this week Ian :mosking: i started on the 'Hoghton Chapel' station re-build whilst it's been dry and warm this morning. Only half a barrow mix of granite chippings and cement mixed 50-50 was enough to get a two inch thick bed down to form the platform into which i then pressed bits of my home made broken walling for the platform edging, the old fences were also pushed into the wet mix, enough mix was left to form the road way behind the station. A couple of rolls of turf were laid last week, although it can be a pain to look after you can't beat the look and smell and feel of freshly cut Grass on a warm Summer day. :sungum:  

post-31611-0-54356500-1523879407_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-77056300-1523879453_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-03596200-1523879479_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-28860200-1523879502_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-22634800-1523879530_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Looking a bit cooler the further North you go O.R. We should get 20c. around here on Weds & Thurs' We've got an old camper van body to hand paint whilst it lasts ...just a tart up with a couple of rollers, more importantly though the re-laid track & ballast bed needs painting up matt Black as well. :derisive: ...the new Grass already needs cutting  :mosking:

• Like 1

CME, i use pound shop matt Black or Blackboard paint, 50/50 mix with Turps' or White spirit for the track & Ballast, and a weaker 70/30 mix to get the Grey effect, it go's on Black and it only looks Grey when it's dried  :thankyou:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Had to redo the roof on the station building, all the matt Black paint had flaked off over the years so i've used 100r/ grade cloth backed emery paper to replicate some roof felting, all soaked in and stuck on with car Isopon resin. I'll paint it matt Black later. Too cold to do anything outside for me yet, but hopefully the weekend will be warmer.  :sungum:

post-31611-0-32207700-1525259005_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-89927400-1525259041_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 5

Had to redo the roof on the station building, all the matt Black paint had flaked off over the years so i've used 100r/ grade cloth backed emery paper to replicate some roof felting, all soaked in and stuck on with car Isopon resin. I'll paint it matt Black later. Too cold to do anything outside for me yet, but hopefully the weekend will be warmer.  :sungum:

attachicon.gif2011-03-20 17.54.24.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-03-20 17.55.14.jpg

Lovely Bob, as ever. But can I suggest an alternative? Rather than paint the emery, why not just smear it in a layer of yoghurt and wait for the moss to do its stuff? I did this with a smaller, scratchbuilt lineside hut on my layout in Peterborough, and it worked a treat after about 4-6 months - unfortunately the building itself rotted into nothing after five or so years, as I had simply not weatherproofed it enough). (I had used the technique on the track, in a composition ballast combined with peat, credited to someone whose name I cannot recall for the moment, and it worked very well on shaded parts).

Meanwhile, I have now obtained an entire, large dustbin-full of sieved granite from raiding piles of granite chippings left in these in here parts for pothole mending, which never seemed to get used. The basis of my ballasting is now ready. We are forecast a week or so of fairly mild weather, so the station, yard and loco shed area of my layout will be finally dug out, concreted and blocked, ready for track laying, along with the 20 yards or so of plain line already done. If my other domestic duties allow, I really hope I will have something to show on my thread before too long....

• RMweb Gold

Rowlands Mix was Dave Rowlands suggestion. It dates back to the early days of 16mm. It was often referred to at the time Jack Wheeldon was inspiring us with articles of small steam engines. Many of the early 16millers had been involved with preserved lines and were familiar with the neglected overgrown tracks the preservationist took on. I think Dave was using Peco streamline 0 gauge track and burying it in Rowlands Mix helped to disguise the incorrect sleepering ( Peco SM32 track was yet to be developed). The Mix is Cement, Sand and Peat proportions seem to vary, I would suggest  1/1.5/2 as a starting mix . A coarse sand rather than soft building sand is better. The mix encourages the growth of moss and the tracks can almost disappear.

Don 

Edit I was some time later when Geoff Hamiliton described using a similar mix to cover old sinks to make stone effect planters on Gardeners World.

Edited by Donw

• 4 weeks later...

Hi 'Bob',

Finally getting around to walling my causeway, and just re-read your method of producing the master and moulds. Today I'm starting on the master for mine. you've been a bit quiet on here of late, I hope you're well.

Phil

Rowlands Mix was Dave Rowlands suggestion. It dates back to the early days of 16mm. It was often referred to at the time Jack Wheeldon was inspiring us with articles of small steam engines. Many of the early 16millers had been involved with preserved lines and were familiar with the neglected overgrown tracks the preservationist took on. I think Dave was using Peco streamline 0 gauge track and burying it in Rowlands Mix helped to disguise the incorrect sleepering ( Peco SM32 track was yet to be developed). The Mix is Cement, Sand and Peat proportions seem to vary, I would suggest 1/1.5/2 as a starting mix . A coarse sand rather than soft building sand is better. The mix encourages the growth of moss and the tracks can almost disappear.

Don

Edit I was some time later when Geoff Hamiliton described using a similar mix to cover old sinks to make stone effect planters on Gardeners World.

And, Don....

'Beechgrove Garden' (BBC 2) et al sometimes take foam fish crates and cover those with a similar mix, so as to make rocks and or miniature gardens for alpine planting....

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 2 months later...

Just been out on my line for the first time in months and i've spent a good two hours weedin' and pruning, i'm hoping to get some running done this week. The shrubs have survived the hot spell very well but helped out a lot by the dirty washing up and bath water we saved which came in useful during the hotter spells. There's not much more subsidence although the perimeter fence has leaned over by another two inches at least. Good Friend & fellow forum Member 44690 Ian, recently visited and reckons the live steamers won't fall or tip over just yet despite a few dips and rises in the track! :jester: The grass patches had totally died down and turned Brown but now after a few weeks of rain it had all grown back to at least 10 inch tall, and the pond has refilled. The next time i post here i'm hoping there will be some trains in the pics' :mosking:   

post-31611-0-09441700-1534858283_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-90282000-1534858307_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-80589200-1534858334_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-61588900-1534858363_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-48097600-1534858402_thumb.jpg[

post-31611-0-71853700-1534858455_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-49705000-1534858512_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-48526000-1534858542_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-87345200-1534858570_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-27419200-1534858597_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-84155000-1534858633_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob