The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

• RMweb Premium

And people say garden railways aren't scale modelling! Beautiful builds and the weathering is spot on :)

This is more like a REAL railway AND a scale model.

Dave.

Well interestingly it states in the first post all the track was Peco SL300 which would mean it is N gauge. I reckon it is SM32 which is SL600. Good track but you either need to pull the rails out and pre-bend them or make sure the ends of the lengths are well fixed down on tight curves to avoid doglegs.

Don 

Yes! Don you are of course very right, :blush_mini:  sorry about that folks please put it down to a typo error, the strong tabs kicking in! or i'm just plain thick!  :D ...you decide! It's probably all three to be honest! :crazy:  Ossy! you now have your answer! i'll need about ten metres ;)  

• RMweb Gold

Yes! Don you are of course very right, :blush_mini:  sorry about that folks please put it down to a typo error, the strong tabs kicking in! or i'm just plain thick!  :D ...you decide! It's probably all three to be honest! :crazy:  Ossy! you now have your answer! i'll need about ten metres ;)  

We all make typo and sometimes the tech stuff makes them for you too. I only mentioned it as some of the people looking in may be new to garden railways.

Don

These are deffo' the last of my old pics' i can find for the moment, i must have near a thousand in my Photobucket account which i still have'nt yet sussed out how to get them on here....well not all of 'em :jester: I will post new ones as and when i get things done during this year. :preved:

post-31611-0-14306500-1491294017_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-54126400-1491294035_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-98546200-1491294060_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-08400800-1491294093_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-24584600-1491294112_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-51413800-1491294125_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-34428800-1491294142_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-24890200-1491294166_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-84920500-1491294185_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Cheers Don' ;)  i've removed the plastic card shuttering as the concrete had dried out a lot quicker than i thought it would. I''ll pick a nice day to scribe out some mortar lines under the arches with the Dremmel fitted with an engraving bit. The two lengths of track are screwed back down and i'm just several inches short of finally completing the circuit, but never mind! as i've ordered 12 lengths of new track from 'Trackshack' this very morn' and they should be here by the weekend.  :yahoo: Note the 2mm thick pieces of plastic card acting as spacers between the track joints making room for any track expansion.

post-31611-0-56849100-1491312061_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-69013500-1491312091_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-04519300-1491312119_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-04969500-1491312148_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-99067000-1491312175_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

You can just drop in the link from Photobucket but a lot of people's work pcs block them so it's preferred to download them and upload direct to the forum ;)

It's usually the bottom of the four options labelled IMG and just copy and paste it to the post.

Yes! It's great this weather and it is looking dry for the rest of the week although a bit chilly, so i'll have to make the most of every second of it as i've a lot of fettling and catching up to do, thanks for the info' Paul...but deffo' not a computer job for me as i'm a one key presser at a time only! swmbo will have to sort it out for me soon. Ossy! very nice pic' i'd forgot about your visit, it must have been late on last year as the walls and station are already up and ready, you've reminded me that i have some pics' and i've found one only that's not on flippin' Photobucket  ;) Peterborough is not for me Ossy, i'd get trampled under foot in the stampede. :locomotive:

post-31611-0-66952500-1491331446_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 3

On Post 56 Bob, sorry, but I think you have modelled the collie dawg a little bit out of scale? Nice model though.....

But, almost incidentally, could you give us an inkling as to how you modelled the (absolutely brilliant) canal basin, which is exactly what I need to model at one end of my layout? Did you use a plastic/rubber trough and just build around it, or some other way? Do you use any kind of pump to circulate the water, or is it just stagnant - of so, how do you stop the mosquitoes etc ?

Edited by Mike Storey

The canal basin is a project i can only show and tell you all about later.... as the construction pics' are still elsewhere, it's all been filled in now and built over, but the bigger water feature i have now to replace it was done in the same manner and still needs more work. The Collie Dog was a prezzy from swmbo and i dare'nt tell her it was to big!  :laugh: She has bought me loads of things from the charity shops and car boot sales, most i can use, but a lot get put into a drawer when she's not looking and until hopefully  :secret:.... she's forgotten about them!  :mosking: Her heart is in the right place but she do'snt quite understand scale sizes. To be honest i never wanted any stations or coaches on my line but swmbo said i had to :punish: She bought me the first two coaches off Fee-bay and they are a long story in themselves. We don't really have any probs' with the mozzies up here, the water was'nt ever left to go stagnant, as i just filled the garden watering can up once a week and poured some fresh water into it until it overflowed and then left to find its own level . The new and recent water feature/Canal basin will have a pump put in! as it's two and a half feet deep, six foot long and three foot wide :O and i'll stick a few Fish in it which will help clear the water a bit once i've done messing about in that area. At the moment it has a skin of oily Black paint on it as i painted up some ballasting around it yesterday whilst i still have the chance in the dry spell we are having! :sungum: Cheap bargain shop paint was mixed 50/50 with White spirits and painted onto the ballast ..i give it a real good soaking and clean off the rails tops with a rag as i go along. By the smell of it the paint is Bitumen based and as before it will fade and weather in nicely in time and won't need doing again for a few years.... that's if it ever needs it again.

post-31611-0-24252300-1491380317_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-62639700-1491380531_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-15500400-1491380559_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-25340600-1491380591_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-71933700-1491380621_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Lovely work. Certainly the finest garden railway I have come across. If you can turn a plastic pate pot into something that looks like solid rusty steel you are very clearly a master modeller. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by eldavo

Ah! This is where you have gone to Pinzer!

Love it! Good to see the McMullen Coal Company making steady progress. 

Idris! really nice to see you! ..how are you doing young man? :biggrin_mini2: are you joining us on here and showing us all your lovely stuff as well? Just been outside and its freezin' so i'm doing nowt today on the line...i just took a few pics' though to show another yet to be finished part of the line. Its the old original railways ground level drift mine and pit yard that i kept, and i've constructed an incline to join it up to the new higher level railway. Looking directly North the other way and out of the pit yard is the long steep winding line up to the new pond/canal basin area. As you can see i've still a lot to do this year :slow:

post-31611-0-09404500-1491386871_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-05586500-1491386899_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-86155800-1491386932_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Idris! really nice to see you! ..how are you doing young man? :biggrin_mini2: are you joining us on here and showing us all your lovely stuff as well? Just been outside and its freezin' so i'm doing nowt today on the line...i just took a few pics' though to show another yet to be finished part of the line. Its the old original railways ground level drift mine and pit yard that i kept, and i've constructed an incline to join it up to the new higher level railway. Looking directly North the other way and out of the pit yard is the long steep winding line up to the new pond/canal basin area. As you can see i've still a lot to do this year :slow:

Well you wouldn't be able to keep my away with a pitchfork! Yes, the DFLR now has its own topic.  :O I love the incline. Is this going to be rope worked or are you going to require three engines to push one wagon up the gradient?

Oh and you had better put a barrier at the end of the track, otherwise it might result in a accident.  :angel:

• Like 1

Well you wouldn't be able to keep my away with a pitchfork! Yes, the DFLR now has its own topic.  :O I love the incline. Is this going to be rope worked or are you going to require three engines to push one wagon up the gradient?

Oh and you had better put a barrier at the end of the track, otherwise it might result in a accident.  :angel:

No Idris! i'm just using a long stick with an hook on it!  :) I have the incline house built and a working winding wheel is fitted, i'm still looking for the right scale rope/cord to use, i'm not using my railway or loco's like some do ..at the speed of a Scalextrix track car. so it'll be gently do's it up and down the incline.. :senile: i'm not putting any barriers on the ends of any of my track just in case i end up extending it...again! :no:

• RMweb Gold

No Idris! i'm just using a long stick with an hook on it!  :) I have the incline house built and a working winding wheel is fitted, i'm still looking for the right scale rope/cord to use, i'm not using my railway or loco's like some do ..at the speed of a Scalextrix track car. so it'll be gently do's it up and down the incline.. :senile: i'm not putting any barriers on the ends of any of my track just in case i end up extending it...again! :no:

Oooh! Matron! That hurt!  :blackeye:

Ah yes, I remember that now. Hmm. Have you tried some OO gauge or O gauge scale train? On a couple of my wagons I have used some fine chain meant for OO and it works a treat.

And I only meant a temporary barrier.... like the ones the council uses.  :tomato:

Edited by vjoneslong

And I only meant a temporary barrier.... like the ones the council uses.  :tomato:

I'll get the Dog to lay across Idris  :biggrin_mini2: 'cos he is usually in the way when i go play trains :mosking: i'll sort summat proper out in time.

Just got the new track delivered :O which i only ordered yesterday at 12.00 mid day and its already here! So many thanks and a big hats off to Trackshack :yahoo: Had to nip out and book the car in for its dreaded MOT! early this afternoon :rtfm:  and i noticed a small good old fashioned plant nursery on my way home, so i called in and ended up with 20 quids worth of Alpines and small Hebes, most were 'three for a fiver' and very healthy they are...but i'm still not doing anything else today on the railway.  :beee: Tomorrow is another day!

Idris! i do have some caravan curtain rail tracking i've yet to lay down the middle of the incline track...another good idea given to me by the other Garden Railway God and Garden Railway Guru that is 'Narrow Minded' :declare:  ;)

• Like 2

Trackshack are great, aren't they? (Even with the ever-helpful New Haven Neil out of the shop recovering from his foot operation - hopefully he is busy running live steamers on the Leodest and Larivane while he recuperates).  They've provided the track for my own SM32 line too - can't fault them for service and prices.

I'm loving the photos of your line - thanks for the inspiration,

David

Trackshack are the best in the business IMHO, and never cease to amaze me with their speed, quality of service - and pricing ! :fan:

............. that is 'Narrow Minded' :declare:  ;)

.... and I thought you were my friend, but no, you just have to take the mickey don't you?! :haha:

Trackshack are the best in the business IMHO, and never cease to amaze me with their speed, quality of service - and pricing ! :fan:

.... and I thought you were my friend, but no, you just have to take the mickey don't you?! :haha:

Er! Yes! Trackshack rule ok! and No! you're a great mentor NM..... :friends:

Edited by Owd Bob