Class 205 Thumper

Shroomy

Interesting.

I think the sound is spot-on for close-up, but having grown up within earshot of where they worked, it seems to contain more higher-frequency notes than could be heard from further away ........ the component of the sound that carried over distance was the lower-frequency burble and thump, like an old tugboat.

I'm not criticising, merely observing that environment plays as a big part in what we hear as the source.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Interesting.

I think the sound is spot-on for close-up, but having grown up within earshot of where they worked, it seems to contain more higher-frequency notes than could be heard from further away ........ the component of the sound that carried over distance was the lower-frequency burble and thump, like an old tugboat.

I'm not criticising, merely observing that environment plays as a big part in what we hear as the source.

Kevin

I agree ... along with that very EMU whining noise.

Griff

My memories include that the sound varied slightly depending on which side of the unit's motor coach you were on. The grille side seemed to let more of the turbo whistle out, while the 'blank' side seemed to be stronger on the exhaust rumble.

This effect was even more noticeable on the Hastings units, where the two ends of the train seemed to me to sound different - with a 12 car set, the middle had both sounds equally, of course.

Not if you fit smoked acetate behind all windows. It hides everything a treat but the train still looks normal from the outside. Freestone Model Accessories sell it, and Hobbycraft probably do too. You have to do both vehicles on the Thumper though, otherwise it looks daft.

I have driven 1125 and I can confirm that my installation of an ESU V4 21 pin plus two sugar cubes in a Kernow all green model with Biff's sound is pretty close. That lazy beat even under load is unique. I heard no whine and I suspect that the unit listened to had worn gears between motor and axle.

Remember also that Biff is continuously working on his projects to improve them as new 'paths' are found on the ESU chip.

BTW the unit is very easy to drive and has a really top notch braking system.

AFAIK the only difference was that later units were uprated to 600hp by the addition of a different supercharger. This made the three car unit a possibility but I believe that even uprated Thumpers were challenged when full and climbing the Alps to Alton!

Another little gem was that drivers preferred the motors at the middle of a multi car unit. Driving at the other end is more spacious and quieter although for a driving experience I do like to hear the motor working and the Mid Hants one is facing London on the motor/driving car so uphill gets the maximum roar!!

The biggest complaint with these stopgap units was no corridor and no loo but there were no complaints as to speed; they eclipsed the steam engine two coach unit and were deservedly popular where they replaced steam.

40 + years later they are still very handy.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

The biggest complaint with these stopgap units was no corridor and no loo but there were no complaints as to speed; they eclipsed the steam engine two coach unit and were deservedly popular where they replaced steam.

The driving trailers did have two loos, although they may possibly have been taken out off use in preservation.

• RMweb Gold

The driving trailers did have two loos, although they may possibly have been taken out off use in preservation.

Still work in ours. As you say, two toilets: one for standard and one for first, both in the trailer coach.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Never ordering from Dc kits/legomanbiffo what's their normal dispatch delivery time from ordering

I have had to wait a while, but if you avoid ordering around the time of the big shows, normally within a week. I think sometimes there is a wait for the decoders to be in stock.

Roy

I have had to wait a while, but if you avoid ordering around the time of the big shows, normally within a week. I think sometimes there is a wait for the decoders to be in stock.

Roy

thank you Roy ordered Tuesday arrived today

Now I am a real novice with this stuff

Received today I chip wired to big speaker and two little speakers in ziplock bags

Anybody tell me in basic terms how to wire and fit this lot or direct me in the direction of finding out how

I have sent legomanbiffo a pm about this as well keen to get on but without a clue

thank you Roy ordered Tuesday arrived today

Now I am a real novice with this stuff

Received today I chip wired to big speaker and two little speakers in ziplock bags

Anybody tell me in basic terms how to wire and fit this lot or direct me in the direction of finding out how

I have sent legomanbiffo a pm about this as well keen to get on but without a clue

Please quote your Order number please to:   charlie@dckits.co.uk.

• Like 1