Good morning everyone! I too am a refugee from 'another place'.
I am constructing a 16mm to the foot, 32mm gauge garden railway. Construction has been ongoing for nearly two years now, but is fairly slow. The story goes that SWMBO and I bought a house (with big garden) which was cheap but needs much renovation. This means I swap between modelling and DIY.
The garden that came with the house is rather long, and gently slopes away from the house. This gave plenty of scope for a railway. Here are some photos of the garden in the summer of 2015 as I planned construction.
Construction started in earnest in June 2015. I decided on a squashed figure of 8, with the railway crossing over itself on the house side of the green house. This does involve some gradients, but I tried to slacken them out as much as possible. Previous incarnations of the line had involved "temporary" permanent way since we were living in rented accommodation. Therefore I decided that this time I was going to construct something far more substantial which wouldn't sink and shift as I had previously suffered from. I started by using the bricks I rescued from the knocking down of a party wall (to enable a larger kitchen), but have since moved on to the spare concrete bricks we bought for building work and the ubiquitous aerated blocks. Here are some photos showing my efforts from 2015 to 2016.
By Summer 2016, interest was waning as I hadn't been able to steam anything. Therefore the decision was made to build an extra passing loop to enable end to end running to keep the interest alive.
Track was laid, using Peco SM32 screwed into the bricks and blocks.
Steam was finally raised using my Accucraft Lawley and Brandbright rake.
Since then, some ballasting has taken place, and some planting.
Before winter set in in 2016, I decided to make a push to construct the next phase of the line, which will include the main station, sheds, and the return of the loop. First job was to put the bridge in for the line to cross over itself.
The last photo shows progress at the end of 2016. Now the clocks have gone forward and the ground is starting to dry out, I'm working on the track bed for the station, photos of which will appear tomorrow once I have gotten home tonight.