Stur-Marshall/Bailey Gate 'open-day'

This weekend the Blandford Railway Society is holding an open-day, promotional meeting at the Old School in Sturminster Marshall, where our new layout, still under construction, will be on display.. The whole village has been leafleted to inform, and ask if anyone has further information, and photographs that we can use to help construction. So far about a dozen people have been in contact to say they have items/photos of interest, and will be there. The 'Old School' is used as a village hall, is in Church Road, next to the Red Lion pub, opposite the village church. It all starts from 12.30am on Saturday.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

[EDIT] I assume that this "new layout" is the one of Bailey Gate - seems obvious, I know, but one has to ask :-)

I recall talking with Keith about his research at a previous meeting somewhere (WimRail perhaps?). I may well come and take a look if the weather holds fair...certainly handy for lunch at the Red Lion!

What time does the event close please?

Edited by RailWest

[EDIT] I assume that this "new layout" is the one of Bailey Gate - seems obvious, I know, but one has to ask :-)

I recall talking with Keith about his research at a previous meeting somewhere (WimRail perhaps?). I may well come and take a look if the weather holds fair...certainly handy for lunch at the Red Lion!

What time does the event close please?

Yep, I suppose I should have said - Sturminster Marshall/Bailey Gate it is - or will be, And it finishes at 5.30pm, the intention is to include food, and refreshments as well, but as you noticed, the Red Lion is next door. :sungum:

Quite by coincidence, I see that lot 110 in the forthcoming Bristol Railwayana auction is "BR/S&DJR Line approx 70 goods delivery sheets for motor deliveries from SHILLINGSTONE BLANDFORD & BAILEY GATE stations (1960) an insight into the type of freight being carried at the end of the S&D." Might this be of interest for your researches?

• 2 weeks later...

My home station. Used to go to Sunday School in the Old School a very long time ago. Had a large cast iron Victorian stove to heat the building when the weather was cold. It stayed cold even when it was working. Would have loved to have seen this layout (and the Blandford layout). Plan to come down at some stage to visit family. My brother lives in Blandford and sister in Lyt Mat. Believe Blandford museum is open Wednesdays??? How did it go??

Edited by geoffers