MRJ 254 Post-Publication Thread.

Zero Gravitas

• RMweb Gold

I was going to add that the overall cleanliness of the scene presented on Semley is pretty much in accord with most photos of that era that I've seen, certainly of a quiet 'wayside' station in the country.

Didn't the L&SWR run special trains for nit pickers back in those days?

Yes, especially those with a LNWR interest, here's a Crewe nit pickers special at Botley  :jester: 

post-6979-0-55416100-1494597430.jpg

The dog seems to showing his opinion of the visitors too....

• Like 4

On the platform of Semley, there are some Skaledale (not Bachmann) Wicker Baskets, (Page 90, top) I thought 'Oooh they look nice'.  They are out of production and Hen's Teeth seem easier to find.

I have a place for plenty of wicker baskets on Penlan, and these look the nicest I've seen. 

The Central Wales Line seemed to have a lot of Wicker Baskets on platforms in Edwardian Times.
If I ever find a set, I may get them scanned and 3D printed.

So, the bottom line is, like St. Meryn* (and others), I found Semley an excellent layout, there are things to make you think, go away and produce a detail of something similar, though not the same.... and if I had the room..

*On St Meryn it was the 'AA' enamel yellow board that most Villages had at one time.  Penlan has one now.

They were introduced in around 1910, so Penlan seems to have been a test sight for the signs.....

post-6979-0-57602200-1494599214_thumb.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 8

Nit picking again… I'm old enough to remember the sheep been driven through the village where I grew up and of course still see them – it's not like they have vanished so the real thing can be watched. They tend to move very close together when driven, shoulder to shoulder and move as a huddled mass. Like the cows I'd be tempted to play about with where best to locate them and bunch them up tighter. 

Edited by Anglian

Nit picking again… I'm old enough to remember the sheep been driven through the village where I grew up and of course still see them – it's not like they have vanished so the real thing can be watched. They tend to move very close together when driven, shoulder to shoulder and move as a huddled mass. 

Well to satisfy Nit-Picker, I've opened a new topic in the Scenic Section, so this aspect can be continued..

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122811-sheep-movement-on-public-roads/

• Like 1