Only just found this dedicated Garden Railway Section on RMweb, so though would be appropriate to move the topic on my on going G Scale Garden Railway, the Blagdon & Butcombe Light Railway over here. 

Here's a link to the Old Topic and what I've done so far;

Hope it's of interest! 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98576-the-blagdon-butcombe-light-railway-bblr/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Argh no! Not another 45mm. You'll be making Narrow Minded feel popular!  :scared:

What a lovely little railway you have there. And I'm glad to see you have caught the live steam bug. Once smitten, there is no going back!

Great stuff Callum :sungum:  I'm glad you shunted your thread into this particular siding on the forum!

Those LGB G Scale Starter Set's have a lot to answer for - it's exactly how I got tempted back into the garden after dabbling with SM32 at previous addresses - ignore any "gauge-ist remarks", they're just jealous :angel:

Great stuff Callum :sungum:  I'm glad you shunted your thread into this particular siding on the forum!

Those LGB G Scale Starter Set's have a lot to answer for - it's exactly how I got tempted back into the garden after dabbling with SM32 at previous addresses - ignore any "gauge-ist remarks", they're just jealous :angel:

Many thanks indeed! Like the pun there  ;) Oh yes, they really do indeed. In just over the space of two years it really taken off! Amazing valve for money indeed. 

Argh no! Not another 45mm. You'll be making Narrow Minded feel popular!  :scared:

What a lovely little railway you have there. And I'm glad to see you have caught the live steam bug. Once smitten, there is no going back!

Many thanks! Oh yes, I think I have indeed. Though my latest addition seem to be having troubles, as I think the corners and gradients on the railway are too great for her, so will have to see after some more testing. 

Many thanks! Oh yes, I think I have indeed. Though my latest addition seem to be having troubles, as I think the corners and gradients on the railway are too great for her, so will have to see after some more testing. 

Corners????? Curves is the best word to use around here or a certain person will be livid :jester: Only joking Callum...so you are another 'Broad Gauge' user :mosking:  i'm just a tramway user myself  :haha: Lovely stuff! i'm looking forward to seeing and reading more in the future.  :)

Corners????? Curves is the best word to use around here or a certain person will be livid :jester: Only joking Callum...so you are another 'Broad Gauge' user :mosking:  i'm just a tramway user myself  :haha: Lovely stuff! i'm looking forward to seeing and reading more in the future.  :)

oh yes, will make sure to us that from now on. To be honest I'm not sure what scale or gauge I even model myself! :D I like to think it represents a 2ft gauge network, though as you will see from my choice of rolling stock it's very mixed. In fact I just picked up a Bargain Bachmann Peter Witt Street Car. Such a lovely little model, though a bit smaller than I first thought.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With Spring well and truly sprung, it's time for the first G Scale Garden Railway Update of 2017, featuring a bit of progress, as well a few plans for the railway over the coming months. 
In this update, we take a look at getting the track ready for running trains, as well continuing work on the new extension and Valley View Siding. 
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gw5kkZApoo

The Second Update on the Garden Railway for 2017. Over the past there's been lots of progress, the new extension in now complete, with the addition of the new siding, plus trains are finally up and running again.

In this update, we also take a look at the current wiring set-up, with plans on how it will be improved, along with some of the issues I needed to sort to get trains running again. 
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTO3Ige0gTQ

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 2

Finally got around to watching the video's Callum, and I'm impressed with your narrative style :fan:

I liked your treatment of the Bluebells, my better 'alf has some in a shaded corner that spread their leaves all over the track - but I'm not allowed to "get rid" of 'em :nono: The standard procedure here is to put some stonework in place as a temporary barrier (and nip off errant leaves when she's not about). Once the plants have died back, the stones go back into 'storage' ready for next year :keeporder:

Nice work on the new loop and siding, and looking forward to future updates :locomotive:

Finally got around to watching the video's Callum, and I'm impressed with your narrative style :fan:

I liked your treatment of the Bluebells, my better 'alf has some in a shaded corner that spread their leaves all over the track - but I'm not allowed to "get rid" of 'em :nono: The standard procedure here is to put some stonework in place as a temporary barrier (and nip off errant leaves when she's not about). Once the plants have died back, the stones go back into 'storage' ready for next year :keeporder:

Nice work on the new loop and siding, and looking forward to future updates :locomotive:

Many thanks indeed! Must admit I was a bit rushed filming these too than normal  :jester: Oh yes, it's nice to have them in place. Just not in-between the rails. Think mines sorted until next year now. Fingers crossed. Just need to get onto doing that wiring now  :good:

I enjoyed watching the latest video. Having had a few issues with my ballast recently it was interesting to hear how you dealt with the problem.

Many thanks indeed Andy! Glad it was of help. Lose ballast is always a bit of a pain, but I found the more times you top it up the less and less it moves as it's packed down. More updates hopefully on the way soon 

A short running session featuring a recent arrival to the Blagdon & Butcombe Light Railway fleet, the Bachmann Peter Witt Streetcar in two tone Maroon and Cream Livery.
The model throughout features a high level of detail including adjustable pantograph, opening doors, plus front, rear and interior lighting. As can be seen, the Car is a smooth and power runner, negotiating point-work and 1st radius curves with ease. 
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEi0syWdMc8

• Like 1

One question Callum. I noticed you purchased one of the cheap R/C German outline G scale models. What are your views on it as i m considering buying one as a starting point for Keepers Grange

Hi Andy. It's an ok model, but does need work to make it a good model. I wouldn't recommend it if you have 1st Radius curves like mine. I've removed the centre drivers and will see how she fairs on the corners now. If she runs better I might make them flangless. If you after a valve for money R/C look then I would highly recommend the playmobil Yellow R/C Diesel Shunter. The build quality is superb, along with the sound, plus it really pulls too. The train set it comes in (with flat wagon and track) is also cheaper than the R/C Steamer. So certainly value for money! 

Here's my review of the R/C Steamer;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAIuxL8qoag

And here's an update featuring the R/C Shunter;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ2vfWMQ3hU

Hope they are of help!

Thanks. I have also got my eye on that Play Mobil loco and set. Not sure if my curves are first radius as I bought them s cond hand, but I guess they probably are.

Possibly, 1st radius tends to be supplied with the start-set and track packs.  

• 1 month later...
A short running session featuring Accucraft 'Caradoc' 0-4-0T, No.1 'Eamont' in action on the Blagdon & Butcombe Light Railway. 

The locomotive is fitted with Radio Control, Cylinder Drain Cocks, Chuffer and Whistle, and has recently been serviced by Matt of Barley Pit Works.

Hope you enjoy!

post-20663-0-93525400-1496590535_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...