REBUILDING THE PDR

77philg

4821775131_3678edaeac_z.jpgimg017 grdn by phil, on Flickr

29759338193_3674d7ec7b_z.jpgimg022 by phil, on Flick

30305073411_ab4ec87b77_z.jpgimg023 by phil, on Flickr

This was the old PDR the curves were 3'6" radius ..45 mm track I wanted to raise the track higher to avoid bending and elongate the radii to < 4'6" I detest grass so that also was on the list to go .It used to break my heart watching the wife mowing the lawn [ but somebody had to do it ! ] So my wife and I have demolished most of this and have started again more pics to follow

phil

Edited by 77philg
  • Like 8

Cant wait to see the new pics as you progress Phil.  My wife and I are planning to do the same thing, ease the radius to better suit our Pearse Countess and long bogie coaches and raise it up to a comfortable height for adults to operate live steam.  Beautiful railway you had, so I am sure the next will be just as good if not better!     Mike and Michele T

Cant wait to see the new pics as you progress Phil.  My wife and I are planning to do the same thing, ease the radius to better suit our Pearse Countess and long bogie coaches and raise it up to a comfortable height for adults to operate live steam.  Beautiful railway you had, so I am sure the next will be just as good if not better!     Mike and Michele T

just for you art my pride and joy

4715379976_44e6796d3f_z.jpgimg019 my pride and joy by phil, on Flickr

I could get the countess round comfortably , But I bought a coal fired SAR NGG11 which requires a min 4' 6"radius .

5765712336_e10c4c8394_z.jpgDSCF0893 a by phil, on Flickr

But my fav is still the countess phil

• Like 5

Thanks for the pic of Countess!  Mine will be here tomorrow, along with 2 GRS coaches they included with the engine in the estate sale.  My friends newly aquired Pearse Earl is in black with lining.  He got it from Anything Narrow Gauge.  Which is our favorite shop to purchase from in the UK.  All the track I have now is LGB radius 1 and I suspect that even Countess would prefer turnouts that are larger radius, along with the long bogie coaches I have on order for later this year from Accucraft. We wil be staying with 45mm gauge LGB track(local source for second hand at a really good price) and its closer to the gauge of the W&L than 32 mm gauge track.     Mike

Edited by artfull dodger

Lovely Phil' and nice to see the whole family getting involved, you are not that far from me, so its nice to know i'm not alone in this hobby around here.   :) Are you replacing the grass with the artificial stuff? i'm hoping to do that with mine.

Edited by Owd Bob

Lovely Phil' and nice to see the whole family getting involved, you are not that far from me, so its nice to know i'm not alone in this hobby around here.   :) Are you replacing the grass with the artificial stuff? i'm hoping to do that with mine.

Hi Bob im a member of assoc of 16mm modellers and there are a few that model around the area and when I have an open day this year your invited!!! I regularly attend open days as far as Cumbria through out the year.One of the local groups is Liverpool based they meet on Thursdays for retired and weekends for the workers .ALL ARE WELCOME .They are 32mm or 45mm lines , We normally have a run ,a chat, and tea and biscuits .what a way to pass a Sunday afternoon. There are a couple of local lads who attend these meets. Im trying to find the pics of the construction phase but I had a computer and camera crash so I lost a lot of images .As for the grass its hard paving and gravel . phil

• Like 2

Hi Bob im a member of assoc of 16mm modellers and there are a few that model around the area and when I have an open day this year your invited!!! I regularly attend open days as far as Cumbria through out the year.One of the local groups is Liverpool based they meet on Thursdays for retired and weekends for the workers .ALL ARE WELCOME .They are 32mm or 45mm lines , We normally have a run ,a chat, and tea and biscuits .what a way to pass a Sunday afternoon. There are a couple of local lads who attend these meets. Im trying to find the pics of the construction phase but I had a computer and camera crash so I lost a lot of images .As for the grass its hard paving and gravel . phil

Do you know of Rob Guiness and his local group? as i've just been invited to join them and i'm really looking forward to getting out more this year, Have you have met Phil' James from up Cumbria way? Many thanks for the invite...i'd love to come up and see you and your railway.  :drink_mini: Gravel is great for drainage and you'll never damage it, I'm still waiting for an off-cut of that artificial grass stuff at my local carpet place to come in! 'cos i'm not paying for a full piece or roll :nono: me being a right skin flint  :jester:

Do you know of Rob Guiness and his local group? as i've just been invited to join them and i'm really looking forward to getting out more this year, Have you have met Phil' James from up Cumbria way? Many thanks for the invite...i'd love to come up and see you and your railway.  :drink_mini: Gravel is great for drainage and you'll never damage it, I'm still waiting for an off-cut of that artificial grass stuff at my local carpet place to come in! 'cos i'm not paying for a full piece or roll :nono: me being a right skin flint  :jester:

hi bob yep member of that group myself, Known rob for years Not sure about Phil though met that many over the years.

5772687063_e6dc2f1818_z.jpgDSCF0902 g by phil, on Flickr

29865537023_75105c4b93_z.jpggallery_3023_58_51986%5B1%5D by phil, on Flickr

My countess running over sams viaduct

Sams layout in ulverston your mate phil might know him and if he does might know me . You can visit anytime you like just pm me and we will arrange it. This garden rail hobby of ours is all about makin owt for nowt . Phil

Edited by 77philg
  • Like 3

30075124740_9656944c37_z.jpgimg017 by phil, on Flickr

This is the mrs on her 40th birthday treat [ So she knows what she's talking about ]  .Fundamental in the making of this railway. henceforth known as" the kettle operative" She mixes concrete , mortar hod carries and in between mixes keeps me supplied with tea. What more could I ask of a partner?

30072299990_a3a8266932_z.jpgDSCF1132 by phil, on Flickr

30072312120_91d7ba4af5_z.jpgDSCF1127 by phil, on Flickr

30072299990_a3a8266932_z.jpgDSCF1132 by phil, on Flickr

I  made this bomb proof, outer wall of pretty bricks, inner wall of  blocks . Im  missing a lot of images of the construction due to a camera /computer meltdown so Ill explain what I did in between images .We got a machine to flatten the ground and a few helpers to barrow it into 2 skips marked out the foundations, layed in the concrete about 4" deep into a 8"trench for the footings .There are some field drains already in place for drainage /soak away .We dug these out and filled around with gravel to ensure the rainwater would flow away quickly.

30072293590_d6a8323833_z.jpgDSCF1133 by phil, on Flickr

29738899984_78bb94edd7_z.jpgDSCF1134 by phil, on Flickr  

Once all the brickwork was  built  10 tons of hard-core was barrowed into the void. This  was  raked,  flattened , and a vibrating plate was used to impact it down all through the process so there would be no voids. When this was completed, we dug out  in the dog bone ends . Into this we put soil for a few plantings later .     phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That makes two of us who hates grass. I need to cut mine back again, but I've been told I'm not allowed to remove all the lawn. But I'm niggling away at it quietly. 

Thanks for the cracking photos. Glad to see another W&LLR fan on here, and look forward to watching progress.

• Like 1

That makes two of us who hates grass. I need to cut mine back again, but I've been told I'm not allowed to remove all the lawn. But I'm niggling away at it quietly. 

Thanks for the cracking photos. Glad to see another W&LLR fan on here, and look forward to watching progress.

It was easy in my case with the grass the mrs mowed it, and now its gone, one less chore. That's the excuse I used anyway.+ we used to have these 2 and they loved to dig up grass .

7474482142_92f1b0c7df_z.jpg002 by phil, on Flickr

I want to make it  as weed free as I can to spend more time running trains. I like the  SAR 2' too  The ng15 I would love a model of, I know accucraft did a model of it a few years ago

.15010319228_bc48612617_z.jpgNG15 by Hannes Paling, on Flickr 

I do like big ng engines.    phil             

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It was easy in my case with the grass the mrs mowed it, and now its gone, one less chore. That's the excuse I used anyway.+ we used to have these 2 and they loved to dig up grass .

7474482142_92f1b0c7df_z.jpg002 by phil, on Flickr

I want to make it  as weed free as I can to spend more time running trains. I like the  SAR 2' too  The ng15 I would love a model of, I know accucraft did a model of it a few years ago

.15010319228_bc48612617_z.jpgNG15 by Hannes Paling, on Flickr 

I do like big ng engines.    phil             

Cor blimey! Thats a big pair. You could have attached the lawnmower to those two and let them pull it round.

I haven't seen one of those Accucraft NGG15 in the flesh but have seen video evidence. Not sure how many they built. I was a lucky boy and spotted two Tolhurst Model Engineering Countesses which I believe are a very rare beast. One was even for sale, but I didn't have £6500 in the kitty. 

Cor blimey! Thats a big pair. You could have attached the lawnmower to those two and let them pull it round.

I haven't seen one of those Accucraft NGG15 in the flesh but have seen video evidence. Not sure how many they built. I was a lucky boy and spotted two Tolhurst Model Engineering Countesses which I believe are a very rare beast. One was even for sale, but I didn't have £6500 in the kitty. 

Yep the tolhurst countess are rare beasts and coal fired working sanders too . I liked their VOR 262ts too ,but never had the cash

• Like 1

While looking  of  through some pics came across a couple of pics  of the now defunct FLR .Had a few hours of running here . John moved down south ,and never really got back into the hobby .

30475792756_3066274c8b_z.jpgimg027 by phil, on Flickr

29881472324_9987369f52_z.jpgimg028 by phil, on Flickr

I think it was serialized in garden rail magazine a few years ago  ,sadly missed this line really enjoyed the running experience .   phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff, and I really like the use of the giant picture to make the scene feel bigger than it really is. Very effective.

By any chance you don't have details about the carriage attached to the Argyll on the rearmost siding. It looks very intriguing.

Lovely stuff, and I really like the use of the giant picture to make the scene feel bigger than it really is. Very effective.

By any chance you don't have details about the carriage attached to the Argyll on the rearmost siding. It looks very intriguing.

I think it was a G scale rebuild by  Mel Jones who sadly has passed away. He had a huge railway at Rochdale sorry no pics of that line .

Looked through all pics and all I've  got left is the track layed  .Once the hard core was flat compacted and level  we layed on paving slabs as you would lay a patio .  obviously cutting paving slab on the curves with a big angle grinder with a stone cutting disc. I didn't fill in the joints to ensure rainwater  drained quickly away , then track laying commenced .

30306330056_597a4792db_z.jpgIMG_0800 by phil, on Flickr

30044661790_853d1f5803_z.jpgIMG_0801 by phil, on Flickr

30306298676_8013f1ace5_z.jpgIMG_0802 by phil, on Flickr

29777468174_b704668408_z.jpgimg024 by phil, on Flickr

This is the actual track plan at the moment .There will be a few changes need more siding space and another passing loop on the rear track. I designed this as a running track ,I like to watch the trains pass by rather than shunting or a  set place to go etc .  At the moment its a blank canvas requiring ballast buildings etc ,but havn't decided what I want yet .that's what is so great about the garden rail you can literally  watch it grow  over the years  while playing trains, and you can invite your friends round to  participate .         phil

• Like 6

I always like seeing the before and after pics' as it shows just how much work, thought and planning that go's and went into garden railway-ing :) Love the back drop and harbour scene, must have been really heartbreaking to dismantle it and see it go  :no2: Nice drawing of the track plan Phil', you've reminded me it's something i must do for mine and i was asked to show one a while back.  :mail:

whats the width of the garden where the 2 loops are phil ?

36 feet and the narrowest part at the bottom 10 ft 6 inches ,narrowest part between the loops 6feet     phil

Edited by 77philg

30415093616_20a7103ac6_z.jpgIMG_0809 by phil, on Flickr

29819269743_7236880b81_z.jpgIMG_0810 by phil, on Flickr

I use peco track 45mm which has been down 16 + years some second hand is even older . I fix the 1 yard lengths down with rawlplugs and brass roundhead screws 3 per length alternately ,on the outside .The rail joints are all gapped for expansion. I normally dump my track outside before laying for a couple of days to acclimatise .The points are left loose ,not fixed down  for replacement/repair if necessary. All curves are made using a rail bender ,nothing is bent by hand ,don't want any kinks on the curves .

30334870482_82b75e8370_z.jpgIMG_0814 by phil, on Flickr

The only problem  I've found is with peco points , they don't use stainless steel screws on the blades and the solder isn't too good either . Every point I've had requires the blades sorting out over time  Phil