77 replies to this topic

#76 The Oily Rag

The Oily Rag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCannock Staffs

Posted 22 February 2018 - 16:46

Many thanks Phil. Its adds a lot more information than you think to my considerations for the "civils" again this year. I have to minimise the back bending these days. I do have a product in mind for my raised areas which is "WOODBLOCX", a bit like grown up LEGO in double pressure treated timber all UK sourced. It ids guaranteed for longer than I am likely to live as well now. Its quite expensive but easily handleable (if that's a word), if I went the all "brickwork" route then it would have to be professionally done.

As regards coal firing, that's great thanks. I probably will go that route but its good to have others opinions and feelings under my belt. I model everything in 7/8ths so my choices in purchased equipment is limited and I have a narrow gauge locomotive on the drawing board at the moment to be built in my own workshop, which started out by design as coal fired. Its just that this opportunity has presented itself at precisely the right time.

I used to belong to the 16MM Assoc a long time ago (in the days when the Midlands Model Engineering Show at Stoneleigh and subsequently Donnington Park) and had a somewhat low membership number. However like a number of others who went a slightly different way, (7/8ths, 45MM Gauge) we became the subject of what amounted to personal abuse so I, like others who used to see 16MM as real fun and a proper modelling exercise, walked away as I am not generally a cheque-book engineer. And to the 16MM Assoc. I will never return. Sorry if that offends but that is the case. I am always to happy to share what I do, but as regards "belonging", it can no longer form part of my thinking. Its nice to chat and exchange ideas like here with like minds for which I am grateful of the opportunity.

regards

Edited by The Oily Rag, 22 February 2018 - 16:50 .

• Agree x 1

#77 77philg

77philg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationAdlington lancashire

Posted 22 February 2018 - 18:29

Not a problem with 7/8ths been interested myself, but id too much invested in 16mm to change .Although I could run 7/8ths on my 45mm track .Its amazing how many society's shoot themselves in the foot when something different comes along . Now they are trying to embrace all the narrow garden scales, but please keep us informed on what you are doing .I wouldn't mind a blow by blow account of how you build a coal fired engine in 7/8ths . phil
  • Like x 2

#78 The Oily Rag

The Oily Rag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCannock Staffs

Posted 22 February 2018 - 19:31

The locomotive is a project which has been close to my heart for quite a while now, (some 5 to 6 years). It is a Bagnall and I have been researching all the works drawings for it despite my love of freelancing to my own designs. There has been quite a history to the three which were made and delivered making the best story lines of any Western film look like primary school fiction. LOL! And of course I got sucked into the study bit as well. The boiler is not too much of a problem really, the problem lies with working Bagnall-Price valve gear. This in itself is a major feature of the loco. I may have to cheat in the end as even the Patents Office have been unable to help a lot. Bagnalls were like so many of the others of the era in that they used a lot of generic drawings and common patterns for castings just modified a bit to suit. Yes I have the specific valve gear drawng pretty much dimensioned but regardless of how I construct the computer model something somewhere in the cycle fouls up or puts the valve in the wrong place. And something i cannot believe and that is there is no roof hatch at all to let out the steam from the safety valve blowing off in the driver's face on the footplate. I will get there somehow in the end and I will keep you up to speed.

regards

• Like x 2