Van Model

grahame

Below is a Thameshead Model. The label says it's a Commer Walk-Through Van, but is it? It doesn't look like the ones I remember.

172022.jpg

Thanks in anticipation for some clarity.

G.

Apart from the fact that it is obviously a van, it couldn't look much less like a Commer Walkthru than that - or any other Commer for that matter. I can't think of anything at all with that styling, from any van manufacturer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.

So potentially a Dodge Step Van although the grille looks a little different and it doesn't appear to have the arched indent at the front:

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/uploads/photoalbum/1959-dodge-step-van-ice-cream-food-divco-metro-1.JPG

I'd certainly like to get hold of a proper N/2mm Commer Walk-Through Van. Does anyone know of the availability of the Phil Kerr model?

G

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y5BDLHR2N/commer-walk-tru-scale-n?optionId=61541553. might fit the bill with the Thameshead under-pinnings to hold it down. Used Walk Thru as the search engine terms. Commer never used the English Through in the model name.

Thanks for that, although it's 1:160 scale rather than 1:148 - maybe they'll do it in proper British N gauge scale. I've sent them a message - just hope they can read English.

Perhaps it never came up when I searched as I typed out the word 'Through' and they've spelt the shortened version wrong as 'TRU' ;-)

G.

Ugly little thing - the nearest UK type I can see is this Leyland Royal Mail van. https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4141/5449047862_5994d88ae8_b.jpg

The Morris J and  Austin 101 have similar body shapes, but would need a lot done to the front, including mudguards and windows.

I had thought of the Leyland PO vans. The arched indented snout is a little redolent, but overall it's probably only a passing similarity. The Leylands only have one large side window whereas the model has a separate quarter light and door window. Probably the closest is the Dodge Step van but it's more likely a freelance effort and would require a lot of work to make it in to anything recognisable.

G

• RMweb Gold

The design, with the split windscreen and the quarter-lights looks 20+ years old. What period do you want it to be? The Fiat Ducato range is widely used now with a whole load of different models and/or names in different countries. I snapped one on the seafront today. A bit of filler above the windscreen and a bit more around the grille and some deft work with your needle files....! Matbe a bit too modern - although in one form or another the Ducato has been around since 2007.

post-14351-0-54087100-1491852662_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters

Below is a Thameshead Model. The label says it's a Commer Walk-Through Van, but is it? It doesn't look like the ones I remember.

172022.jpg

Thanks in anticipation for some clarity.

G.

The model looks nearer to the coachbuilt delivery vans based on the Morris LD of the 50s and 60s.

The design, with the split windscreen and the quarter-lights looks 20+ years old. What period do you want it to be? The Fiat Ducato range is widely used now with a whole load of different models and/or names in different countries. I snapped one on the seafront today. A bit of filler above the windscreen and a bit more around the grille and some deft work with your needle files....! Matbe a bit too modern - although in one form or another the Ducato has been around since 2007.

Yes, that Italian ice cream van is rather too modern. Ideally I'm looking for vehicles that were on the road from the mid 70s to mid 90s. Although it's a fair timeframe, that seems to be a rather difficult proposition for British N gauge particularly for bog-standard common private cars.

For vans, apart from an iconic Commer Walk-Throu, then I'd like a Leyland Sherpa (P&D Marsh do a cast metal one that I'll take a look at) and the ubiquitous Ford Transit (Parker does/did a fairly decent white metal Mk1 in both LWB and SWB). 

021324.jpg

G.

• RMweb Gold

You might find it worth poking about in this site. 10mm wargaming scale is about 150th. There are some Bedford trucks and a French truck that has some of the characteristics of your van. The models are of military vehicles but the Bedfords were around for ages. One used to deliver coal in SE22 in the 1990s - in a nice red livery!

Their prices & p&p seem reasonable. You have to download an Excel-based order template to see the prices. I have only just spotted them  so I don't know about Pithead or their quality or reliability, but the website seems well set-up.

http://www.pithead-miniatures.tk/

Interesting 'Mr. Softee' connection with the UK's Smiths of milk float fame. Reading the article it seems they also built the same sort of bodies from 1960 (the Boyertown Mini-van delivery body) on normal petrol or diesel chassis, including some on Dodge Forward Control chassis.

This one?

oo1957Boyertown.jpg

Certainly very close. The model lacks the angled/pointed windscreen but the grille looks spot on. If it is meant to be that van then the model is a pretty good representation and can't be considered so bad after all. Although why Thameshead would want to make a kit of a rather unusual American van is puzzling.

Nonetheless a great find.

Unfortunately, the model is of no use to me. Anyone interested?

G

• 3 months later...

I found this n gauge Commer in the second han drawer in Pastimes , Glasgow unfortunately there is no manufacturers marks on it

That's a good find. What is it made of? It looks like a die cast model that could do with a bit of work - clean up, repaint and glazing.

There is a Commer step-van on Shapeways and the designer will arrange for it to be printed at 1/148 scale. However, it looks a little representational and appears to be a body only (no interior/seats, glazing, wheels or chassis) so, along with being a Shapeways 3D print, would need a fair amount of work. And at over £7 plus nearly £9 P&P is rather expensive.

G.

That's a good find. What is it made of? It looks like a die cast model that could do with a bit of work - clean up, repaint and glazing.

There is a Commer step-van on Shapeways and the designer will arrange for it to be printed at 1/148 scale. However, it looks a little representational and appears to be a body only (no interior/seats, glazing, wheels or chassis) so, along with being a Shapeways 3D print, would need a fair amount of work. And at over £7 plus nearly £9 P&P is rather expensive.

G.

It's white metal  two part