May 2017 RM

tractionman

• RMweb Gold

Looks good - out on this coming Thursday, so a nice bit of BH reading...  and a review of the new Webb "Coal Tank" from Bachmann to whet the appetite :-)

http://www.pecopublications.co.uk/Railway-Modeller-May-2017.html

Railway Modeller May 2017
May 2017 – vol 68 No.799               

RAILWAY OF THE MONTH

Mossdale
The majesty of the Settle & Carlisle in blue diesel days, centred on Garsdale (with retained Hawes branch), as modelled by Colin Fisher in OO gauge in his loft.

PLAN OF THE MONTH
The Twyford Waterworks Railway
Waterworks and similar industries were prime sites for narrow gauge railways. Myles Munsey reports from a preserved site in Hampshire.

SCALE DRAWINGS
George Stephenson's birthplace
Peter Brown shows how another landmark north-east building was modelled in N gauge.

FEATURES

Baseboards from ply
In the first of a series of features looking at lightweight baseboards, Don Willsmer explains how his are easy to carry and set up, yet support O gauge models.

Oake
Darren Berry shows off the 4mm scale layout built by members of the Somerset Railway Modellers Club, and inspired by the GWR Taunton to Barnstaple line.

Station buildings for Bodmin North
John Merefield describes how these 7mm scale structures were constructed.

Clevedon, WC&PR
This Somerset seaside resort was also the operational centre of the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway. Andrew Ullyott presents his 4mm scale recreation.

Deansmoor
Jon Dean was inspired by the 25kV West Coast Main Line to design a ‘layout on a door’ competition entry; he then built the layout in N gauge.

Mileposts – The N Gauge Society reaches 50
Grahame Hedges reports on the half-century of this major railway modelling organisation.

Launceston Steam Railway
The real thing occupies two-odd miles of the former Southern ‘withered arm’; Richard Holder has made a representation of its chief station in OO9.

Detailing building interiors
Peter Osborne demonstrates that by using ‘old-school’ techniques and materials, such as watercolours, convincing results can be achieved simply.

Cramming it in
Alan Woodford used forced perspective and boxed-in viewpoints to create four distinct scenes in OO in a footprint of only 4' x 3'.

Medway Pier Road
Steam, diesel and electric – Simon Smith opens his railway room door to show off this OO gauge ‘just supposing’ terminus, set in north Kent in 1960.

RAILWAY MODELLING EXPLORED
Project of the Month – Building a BR Traction Maintenance Depot in O
Craig Tiley tackles the new plastic structure kit from Heljan, which can be extended and/or enlarged by two other add-on items.

Flexible dry-stone walling
A new product from Osborn’s Models in Bideford is flexible wall sections in 4mm, laser-cut into rubberised foam. Craig Tiley gives it a try.

REGULARS

Talking Points
Topical issues from the world of railway modelling. This month, prolific layout builder Ian Futers muses on the origination of layout ideas.

Comment
Opinions and observations across the field of railway modelling. This month, Tony Wright reflects on his short absence from the exhibition scene as a demonstrator.

Readers’ Letters

Latest Reviews
Reviewed this month are the new Bachmann Coal Tank 0-6-2T in OO; Dapol Class 68 Bo-Bo in OO; the Lynton & Barnstaple-livery 2-6-2T in OO9 from Heljan; a wealth of new items from Graham Farish in N; and much more.

News
Including a first look at stocks of the new Hornby Merchant Navy, now reaching the shops; news from Model Rail Scotland; CADs for the Hatton’s/Heljan Gresley Pacifics in O gauge; progress with Revolution Trains wagons in N; and much more.

Societies & Clubs
The hobby's best guide to What's On around the UK and beyond. 

I picked up a copy from my local model shop today (Tuesday). It's another very good issue. RM certainly is on a high and probably the best model mag currently being produced. But things can quickly change.

G

• RMweb Gold

OAKE will be one of the layouts featured at the Derby show next month (6th & 7th May)

Details here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120254-derby-the-roundhouse-6th-7th-may/

Somerset Railway Modellers Club were very pleased to receive your invite Mike. 

The May issue arrived in my postbox today. Very pleased with the presentation of the Oake article and my piece. Quite a decent issue I think. Nice to see Andrew Ullyott's version of Clevedon (probably a thread on here somewhere). 

Don

• RMweb Gold

I picked up a copy from my local model shop today (Tuesday). It's another very good issue. RM certainly is on a high and probably the best model mag currently being produced. But things can quickly change.

G

They have been on a high since Steve Flint took the helm IMHO ;)

Griff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Don - it helps that Darren works for WPD with one of our members and has been a visitor to our Club when he's working in this area - and Steve has been to Taunton.

The Western Power Distribution Safety & Training Layout will also be featured at Derby.

They have been on a high since Steve Flint took the helm IMHO ;)

Griff

IMO it took a little while to get it back to the top of the pile since Steve took over. Generally things dont change and improve instantaneously on editorial appointment but he's done a good job and the mag has been riding high for some while now.

G

• RMweb Gold

IMO it took a little while to get it back to the top of the pile since Steve took over. Generally things dont change and improve instantaneously on editorial appointment but he's done a good job and the mag has been riding high for some while now.

G

I agree... but you have to give him credit for that.

Griff

Any magazine is only as good as the articles written for it. RM probably get more articles offered than other magazines. They have a good and experienced  team, and I include those involved in sister magazine Continental Modeller, where I have had a few articles published. Mind you I managed 3 letters in RM last year! It is a pity Steve does get round to many exhibitions, certainly none up this way for a while, so you are more likely to talk to either Tim or Andrew at exhibitions.

I think Tony's Comment page has some useful points. As someone involved in 3D printing, I possibly have a more positive view of the way the hobby will develop. In particular it does not limit the scale that people have to model in, and new blood is far more likely to use their computers to design models, and then get them 3D printed. From my experience over past 5 years, modellers are very happy to adapt and complete models, but possibly do not want to do a full scratch build. One of the busiest stands at exhubitions used to be the one selling parts to improve and modify r2r models. The demand for much of that disappeared with new better models, but people still will modify older models, problem is now getting hold of the bits to do it. Just read through the thread on the GBL magazine locos to see what some are still doing.

RM was my first British mag - picking up a copy in the Spring of 2010 before a trip and looking for something to read on the way (by train of course).  I became totally fascinated.  So I have RM to thank (or blame) for this interest I have now in British prototype and scales.  I will admit that I also subscribe to two other British railway modeling magazines and often pick up an issue of a fourth.  It seems that each has its own strengths and while I do prefer one over the others, I really do enjoy each for separate reasons.  As an aside, I've cased subscribing to one of my U.S. magazines (between my issues and those of my dad, I've read every issue from 1962 until the fall of 2016) - the quality of articles (and page count) just aren't what they used to be.  Perhaps the competition of having several magazines results in each of the British ones striving to keep only the highest standards.  Bravo to RM and the rest.  You guys over there have it made!

• RMweb Premium

The May issue arrived in my postbox today. Very pleased with the presentation of the Oake article and my piece. Quite a decent issue I think. Nice to see Andrew Ullyott's version of Clevedon (probably a thread on here somewhere). 

Don

Thanks!

Picked up a copy whilst up in York. Looks a good issue.

No thread, just a blog:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1156-clevedon-wcpr/

• RMweb Gold

I agree with others and think this is a very good issue, lots of variety and lots to like. Clevedon has photographed particularly well - well done Andrew and Steve. The small Drewry railcar is just sublime, a really lovely model and I really must try and get to Portishead on the 22nd October to see the combined Weston and Clevedon layouts.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

There's a bit of an error on page 436 of this issue: F W Webb was not CME of the LNWR for no fewer than 52 years -- from 1871 to 1903 equates to just 32 years if my arithmetic is correct.

Some good & inspiring content in this month's Railway Modeller magazine and as a modern image modeller, I especially enjoyed reading the two articles based on that perticular sector of the hobby - Mossdale (Railway of the Month) a brilliant depiction of a part of the S&C line, but in BR blue diesel days for a change, and Deansmoor - a nice N Gauge layout built on two distinct levels and in a small space, on a door of the same size baseboard that of my own N Gauge layout!

The rest of the magazine is also a good read, but these are the two articles that interested me the most.

Sam 

Archived