Trans Europe Express

railroadbill

I came across this on Youtube.

It's a video that accompanies the German version of Kraftwerk's  song "Trans Europe Express."

There are some nice sequences of DB class VT 11.5 units (which ran until 1972).

If you don't like [or can't stand  ]  :-)    1977 techno electronic rock,  then it can of course be watched silently....

But some good shots!

• Like 5

Having stumbled across the TEE (first class travel from another era, in a train styled as if it's from a Flash Gordon sci-fi film)  I've now found a documentary on (mainly) the preserved working one, shots of preparing the train, engine room and cab shots, excellent running sequences, great scenery along the Rhine, in Bavaria etc. service ones in DR service.  It's in German but all pretty obvious. 

Worth a look if, like myself, you find this intriguing.  There were Dutch and Swiss units as well, I think, plus a gas turbine DB version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZwcIc47kQo#t=1594.781

ps Looks like you have to go to youtube to watch it, taken there from the link. There are 2 steam sequences to start, the TEE part starts at 3min 22sec.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fabulous! Thanks for that post. Long model though, 10 coaches I think? Think I should start looking for the roco DSB MA unit, based on the TEE sets, that ran in 2 4 coach units that could be separated to run as 4 car units. They had an extra driving cab on the 4th coach. Roco did them both in red and silver.

Edited by railroadbill

Long model though, 10 coaches I think? 

The version shown is the DB "Alpen See Express" which ran from northern German cities to holiday destinations in the Alps. Often, these trains would see 2 units coupled together, therefore making a 20-coach.

I have neither the room on the layout or depth of pocket for a second set!

post-4032-0-88289700-1493749274_thumb.jpg

I came across this in an old book from my childhood (remains kept because it's called "passenger trains of the world" - pub. 1962, apologies, not sure about copyright for pic.).

The write-up says that It's a Dutch TEE set, 4 cars with power car at one end. Built in Switzerland.  They ran from Amsterdam to Paris ("Etoile du Nord") and Zurich ("Edelweiss"). 

The nose is vaguely like that of a "hondekop" emu. I think this must be the type of set that Dutch_Master describes in his interesting post above.

Going back to the Roco VT11.5 they  do look good on 87029's layout and tetsudofan's garden....