The Marlborough Branch

Alcanman

The Inspiration

The idea for my new layout started with a photo posted by Mike Boucher on my last layout thread ‘Westborough Terminal’. The photo depicted a pair of CSX GP40-2s powering CSX local B724, Framingham MA – Leominster MA . The line is known as the Fitchburg Secondary, as it used to run through Leominster to Fitchburg.

I started researching the line and discovered the small city of Marlborough MA, a few miles from Framingham. Along the southern edge of Marlborough is Marlborough Junction where a short branch ran to downtown Marlborough. Operations ceased in the 1960s and the track lifted.. All that remains of the branch today is a short spur off the ‘main’ serving the Safety-Kleen waste oil facility, which can be seen on Google Earth.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=200111021548449786.jpg&order=byrail&page=24&key=213&photoindex=2&maxpage=24&maxphotoindex=3&key2=

For the layout, I’ve simply imagined that the branch remained opened with CSX local B724 serving a few fictitious customers in Marlborough.

The Plan

Having built a succession small switching layouts  using ‘Inglenook’ type track plans I felt it was time for a change.

A run around has been included in the new layout plan and has been made as long as possible. Previous layouts with a run around hadn’t been too successful as operations ended up being a rather unprototpical ‘switching puzzle’

Besides, you can’t beat a train arriving with the locomotive leading!

Despite the simplicity of the track plan, I’ve spent a lot of time on the design trying to work out switching moves  in advance,hoping operations will look as prototypical as possible.

I’ve found that a minimum of 3 spurs/industries can provide sufficient switching interest.

Although more spurs could be fitted into the plan, I prefer to keep things simple and ,hopefully, create a nice spacious looking layout, despite it’small size.

I’ve also decided that the layout will be fully scenicked , without  hidden staging.

post-7898-0-74441500-1492187717_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 8

Great minds think very much along the same lines. A very similar trackplan was built a long, long time ago in SMT as the Fairweather shortline in Jersey, CI. and operated in a USA, and a UK version, on a balcony. It had a single track at the top and two at the bottom - I later added another track at the top, and it also appeared as "Two Nooks", I think in MTI - it is awfully difficult to find new trackplans - but it is amazing how different other peoples versions can look with their different versions of scenery - I shall watch with great interest to see how it develops scenically. My version was 4 feet eight and a half inches long  - a strange dimension that crops up surprisingly often on micro laouts - and used a 44-tonner and 40' cars in HO

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Thanks Jack.

SMT provided some great inspiration back in the day as it focused on small switching/shunting layouts. This plan is one I always seem to be re-visiting and this time I've 'tweaked' it to ensure the switching moves work.

I'm pleased to say, having temporarily pinned down the track, it appears to be work the way I planned.

post-7898-0-27314800-1492270397_thumb.jpg

With regard to structures and scenery, and I've decided to use a mixture of old brick built buildings and some modern type warehouses and there will be fewer trees than usual.

I'm hoping the layout will look a bit different from my previous efforts, as older buildings do have more character. In fact, the layout may end up looking something like this one from 20 years ago!

Walthers ADM Flour Mill and DPM buildings are on my shopping list.

post-7898-0-59705400-1492270861_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-26600400-1492270919_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Jack.

SMT provided some great inspiration back in the day as it focused on small switching/shunting layouts. This plan is one I always seem to be re-visiting and this time I've 'tweaked' it to ensure the switching moves work.

I'm pleased to say, having temporarily pinned down the track, it appears to be work the way I planned.

attachicon.gifNew layout 006.JPG

With regard to structures and scenery, and I've decided to use a mixture of old brick built buildings and some modern type warehouses and there will be fewer trees than usual.

I'm hoping the layout will look a bit different from my previous efforts, as older buildings do have more character. In fact, the layout may end up looking something like this one from 20 years ago!

Walthers ADM Flour Mill and DPM buildings are on my shopping list.

attachicon.gifimg144.jpg

attachicon.gifimg145.jpg

Mal , I have to say that your "stretched" version looks good, I've dug it out at frequent intervals too - I do know that "Two Nooks" (a midway switching stop on the line from Heare to Thayer, with a branch off to Summerelze) certainly provided me with more operational fun than almost any other layout that I've built. Hope you get the same fun from your version as I said , I'll be keeping an eye on this!  Another version ran from Ajax to Zebedee and this was Monroe (Midway between them)

Best

Jack

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

Yesterday, I had a very productive day. (Mrs A was out all day shopping) . Wired the layout and with everything working nicely, I tried out a few switching moves. This layout is going to be fun to operate!

I was able to re-cycle a structure from a previous layout which fitted perfectly to represent the Transload shed. The building received a re-spray of dark green paint. The Transload track mainly receives steel loads

post-7898-0-13444000-1492343761_thumb.jpg

It would appear that the Fitchburg Secondary has a reputation for badly maintained track with a 10 mph speed limit. 

Here's a nice pic I found. The location is Clinton MA on the Fitchburg Secondary.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?2010022321105116791.jpg:bysearch:fitchburg+secondary:SEARCHTYPE=SIMPLE&PAGE=2&BOOL=ALL&SEARCHSTRING=fitchburg+secondary

Mal

• Like 5

Another very nice layout design Mal. Sort of resembles what I've been working on for the past few months. Your plans always seem to make the best use of your available space; have a very prototypical look; and aren't filled with track and one car industries that is supposed to "add operation" like so many switching layout plans you see. Less is more and real operation comes from using prototype practices! My current plan on my 18 inch x 20 foot shelf represents the end of a fictional L&N branch line serving a handful of customers. Although I haven't made the track plan permanent at this point, I find myself operating the layout pretty much daily.

I find your layout's very inspirational  and always look forward to seeing the progress you make.

Thanks. Your comments are much appreciated. Looks like you and I seem to be thinking along the same lines (pun intended!).  What you describe is exactly what I'm trying to achieve. 

Today, unexpected 'Heritage' power arrived on the Marlborough turn.

CSX GE B23-7 #3143.

post-7898-0-00487900-1492619720_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-80021900-1492619773_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-78825900-1492619811_thumb.jpg

I've had my eye on this  model since it was introduced by Atlas at the beginning of the year. With the lack of new sound fitted locos in stock at UK retailers, I was amazed when the model

appeared on the Gaugemaster website. Initially, I was put off by the eye-watering price, however, when Gaugemaster reduced the price by £50.00 and offered free delivery, I couldn't resist!

The model was ordered and delivered within 24 hours. Brilliant service!

As expected from Atlas, great detail, with smooth slow speed control and great sounds from the ESU Loksound decoder. The GE prime mover makes a nice change from the high pitched turbo

whine of the EMD geeps. 

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 5

This week I've painted the track and started adding ballast. Some final touches are required to the ballast , however, this is how it looks so far.

post-7898-0-30896500-1493383166_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-47727700-1493383201_thumb.jpg

A couple of low relief warehouses, re-cycled from a previous layout , have been placed in the background of the 'scenicked' staging/arrival track.

In the foreground the transload shed partially provides a 'view blocker' for the staging track. I may add another small office in the foreground and possibly some security fencing  to add to the 'view block.

post-7898-0-75900800-1493383564_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Good guess, Gene. 9ft x 15ins. Same as my previous layouts.

Mal

Thanks Mal...

Well the 9ft wasn't much of a guess but the 14 inches was a definate guesstimate...you plan was pretty clear.

Cheers

Gene

You won't regret buying the B23-7, Simon.

The sound is the best I've come across in a US diesel. Even better the my Atlas Loksound  Alco C424. Good old fashioned 'chugga chugga' diesel prime mover and no 'whine' from the turbo!

I've taken a real liking to GE locos after this purchase.

The one I've ordered is a B30-7 in Chessie paint. I've ordered from Osborne models for a very good price also £189 thanks for the inspiration Mal!

Sorry to go a little off topic, keep up the good work.

I've started adding concrete hard-standing to the Transload area and placed a few small structures. Nothing glued in place as yet, just trying items out to see what looks best.

However,I've decided not to add any more 'view blocks'. This is how the Transload area looks at the moment.

post-7898-0-30030100-1493750324_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-88468000-1493750358_thumb.jpg

I've also started work on the Walthers Cornerstone Flour Mill kit which fits nicely in the left hand corner of the layout. I do have a liking for rib sided covered hoppers. 

post-7898-0-64511300-1493750714_thumb.jpg

In other news, my Noch Grassmaster which I thought was damaged beyond repair sometime ago -  has been repaired! A good friend managed to dismantle it and re-solder the wires.

He commented that the components probably cost about a fiver and he thought the handle had probably come from a battery torch. In fact, it still had a bulb holder inside!

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've now finished building the flour mill structure which has been lightly weathered. 

post-7898-0-83065400-1494255275_thumb.jpg

Adjacacent to the flour mill is a Walthers low relief warehouse which has also been completed and weathered. Ideally, I would have liked 2 of these buildings but I was unable to source a second one so I'll customise a DPM kit. 

post-7898-0-63581200-1494255395_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-99725900-1494255605_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-80756000-1494255634_thumb.jpg

Having had a few weeks operating the layout, I'm finding the run around enjoyable, offering much more variation in switching moves than my previous Inglenook type layouts.

The time spent planning switching moves has paid off. Interestingly, I've discovered that gondolas destined for the transload spur can be blocked at the front of the train next to the loco or blocked at the end of the train.  

The run around can hold up to 4 x 50ft cars. I try to switch the spurs with the minimum of moves, in prototypical fashion.

• Like 5

Yes, it's the Commissary building.

I used Humbrol precision poly cement for the first time and happy with the results.

Back in the day I used to hand paint all my buildings but now I try to use spray cans where possible. I had some Tamiya 'Deck Tan' left over and used that for the brickwork followed by a pass of Humbrol 'Tank Grey' for weathering.

• Like 1

I sprayed mine with some Tamiya dark red for the bricks (forget the colour name) and then did the sills with a concretey greyinsh beige, the name of which also eludes me now. Followed by wash of the same stuff to do the mortar, and lately some india ink/ IPA wash, which had the interesting effect of making all the paints run a bit. Wasn't what I was intending, but I'm not averse to that aspect of the end result. The thing which really spoils it is my shaky brushwork on the sills & lintels.

• Informative/Useful 1