Loch Tay (or the like) microlayout in N gauge

Hi all

For quite some time now, I've been following the progress of some outstanding layouts featured here on rmweb. Especially the ones connected to Scottish prototypes, plus a lot of interesting microlayouts, too. Given that I used to have a huge hobby room for myself, I haven't accomplished more than building two modules of each 2m x 0.5m in size within the last two or three years. Nothing to show off really. They were meant to be my training ground for building my first ever layout and have served that purpose well, until I only recently had to give that hobby room away to a new tenant in our house. So currently, my model railway is homeless and waiting desperately to be set up in the near future. Our cellar will host it, but will need to be fully furbished first.

So, being anxious to get my hands on building something in the meantime, I only recently opted for a microlayout that I could build and set up anywhere and eventually incorporate into my planned future West Highland layout. This thread will show the progress, honouring a request from @justin1985 . :stinker:  First of all, let me introduce you to my plans for the "bigger" layout: I live in Switzerland and have developed a huge interest in the West Highland Lines (following a first visit to Fort William and Mallaig in 2011 - with many to follow thereafter). My initial plans to model the most important landmarks on the WHL Proper and the Mallaig Extension have given way to a broader approach on modelling scenic highlights from various Highland locations.

Plans are now to model an array of locations like Loch Tay station, parts of the Killin Branch Railway, Glenogle viaduct, Monessie Gorge and eventually a fictitious station at Drumnadrochit in the Great Glen. All is subject to change of course, depending on the actual space that will be available. And maybe subject to shifts in personal preferences and interests, as they change ever so often. *ha ha*

The microlayout in question is Loch Tay station. I have done some extensive research in the last few weeks, after picking up a few ideas from an article on prototypical "short trains" in a model rail magazine (whose name I probably shouldn't mention here). The article reminded me of an earlier interesting article that appeared in the same magazine last year, about short lines worth modelling, including the Killin Branch Railway. So I dug into my archives, found the other article, grabbed some of my books on the Callander & Oban and went searching for pictures here, on Google and Flickr.

I must admit that the pictures I found added a lot to my decision to give it a go and model Loch Tay - and in fact, some of the Killin branchline and parts of the C&O. I like the idea of running a prototypical Killin consist of loco + coach + wagon into Loch Tay station and running the loco round its train - on one hand for its operational interest (uncoupling in N gauge) and on the other for its space-saving capabilities.

blogentry-13616-0-92149700-1355690464.jp

Plus, I can finally fulfill a wish of mine and buy GraFar's magnificent 4MT tank loco without having to worry were to run it, as I am mostly running BR blue stock (gives me an argument to convince the minister of finance of the necessity of such an acquisition). With a bit of modellers' license, Loch Tay will see Class 26s or 27s, too, once there's a connection to Drumnadrochit station.

So by now, after only three weeks, the baseboard is set up, the track is in place and functional, and the landscape is shaped and pre-coloured. The layout measures 1m x 0.25m and is therefore well within the limits of being called "micro".

That's it for the moment being. Pics will follow later, as I have no access to them on my computer at work. Comments and likes are welcome, as the story continues soon!

Cheers from Switzerland - Kosta

• Like 8

Kosta - there was a plan, at one time away back, to build a standard gauge line from Fort William to Inverness, with a station at Drumnadrochit - I believe the project stalled due to lack of backing or money - but there is currently a television program in planning by Love Productions IIRC, doing exactly that, but in OO gauge along the Great Glen.  http://womeninrail.org/news/channel-4-love-productions-biggest-little-railway-world/

If you haven't seen it, this may be of interest   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invergarry_and_Fort_Augustus_Railway

Edited by shortliner

Cool! Good to know! I shall keep an eye on that one then.

Plans for a line through the Great Glen were stalled when the North British and the Highland Railway agreed not to attack each others' territories, back when the WHL was built in the 1890ies. The NB had plans to extend the WHL through the Glen and to reach the port of Kyle of Lochalsh, in order to gain easy access to the Isle of Skye.

The new route would've cut travel times by a few hours, had it been built, and would've been an attractive alternate route to reach Kyle of Lochalsh. But the HR had a majority of the parliament backing their case, as the parliament had been promoting the opening a new port on the Western shores of the Highlands. That was the solemn reason why the construction of the WHL had been granted by parliament in the first place: to reach a new port in Roshven or later Mallaig, but not to open up a quicker connection to Inverness or Skye and torpedoe the territory of a railway already in existence.

The two railways eventually came to what is now known as the Great Glen Agreement or "Ten Year Truce". An agreement not to interfere with the other one's business and to keep out of the Great Glen area. After the treaty had ended, declining profits on either side ended all plans to link Inverness with Fort William.

The only noticeable movement of rails through the Great Glen was the privately built and operated (and shortlived) Invergarry & Fort Augustus Railway. But that's another story... .

Edited by westhighlandline

And here are some pics:

mUA8ib.jpg

Researching the prototype and gathering inspiration ...

g05dik.jpg

Laying out the trackplan ...

cWzVB7.jpg

Building up hills ...

nryrCn.jpg

Shaping the landscape ...

T195Ce.jpg

Installing tracks ...

CXXqlI.jpg

Test running ...

Qa7Vys.jpg

Constructing level crossing ...

9SSJFt.jpg

And finally, the layout in its current state (Easter 2017).  :sungum:

Cheers, Kosta

• Like 14

Looks good! 

Plans for station building have been on the forum before: 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-16796-0-31802300-1379097874.jpeg

Yeah, I've seen that one and meant to comment on the thread. But it seems it hasn't been paid attention to in a while.

I am not exactly sure if I want to go too much into prototype detail with this micro I think I'll just stick to scalescenes buildings for a start. :)

• Like 1

There used to be a magazine called Model Trains in which is an article on Loch Tay , it was August 1980. It has numerous black and white photographs and I have kept as a useful reference point all these years. It worth be worth seeking out a copy.

By the way which magazine is shown in your photos? It looks like a copy of Model Rail but I'd like to get a copy so if you have the issue number that would be great.

Tony

There used to be a magazine called Model Trains in which is an article on Loch Tay , it was August 1980. It has numerous black and white photographs and I have kept as a useful reference point all these years. It worth be worth seeking out a copy.

By the way which magazine is shown in your photos? It looks like a copy of Model Rail but I'd like to get a copy so if you have the issue number that would be great.

Tony

Hey Tony, I wasn't sure if I could mention Model Rail in here, since this is a BRM-related forum. *ha ha*. Yes, it is a MR issue and you can find the article on page 76/77 here: https://issuu.com/mimimi995/docs/model_rail_issue_232_march_2017

Cheers, Kosta

Well, since I am already at it - it's time to present the outcome of a very intense Sunday working on the railway. I kept myself busy "building" the forest background. This is it in its most current state - not done yet:

am8u6D.jpg

tFuMwS.jpg

IWUasl.jpg

I took the layout outside to check for its appearance in broad daylight, and it is not only now that I've (repeatedly) noted, that Dapol's Class 26 and 27 have a real blatant touch of petroleum colour to them. In my eyes, they should be of a dark BR blue ... am I wrong?

Ag8UlX.jpg

Cheers, Kosta

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The layout looks good and in BR days the West Highland 26/27 fleet often had quite stained or weather worn liveries so different shades of blue are ok.

If you wanted an earlier era steam loco, the Dapol M7 0-4-4T could be converted into a Caley 419 class as used on the line for many years, the same conversion as was done on Hornby M7s in 00 gauge.

Dava

Edited by Dava

The layout looks good and in BR days the West Highland 26/27 fleet often had quite stained or weather worn liveries so different shades of blue are ok.

If you wanted an earlier era steam loco, the Dapol M7 0-4-4T could be converted into a Caley 419 class as used on the line for many years, the same conversion as was done on Hornby M7s in 00 gauge.

Dava

Dava,

Thanks for the compliment! The late GraFar 4MT is on my shopping list. It will be the perfect fit for Loch Tay (or whatever I am going to call it). The 26 is only a temporary guest on the layout. ;)

Kosta

• 2 weeks later...

I have just found this thread and think it looks a great model. When I was on honeymoon in Scotland I bought a small but very interesting book about the Killin branch. I have often thought it would be nice to model this line and will follow the progress with interest.

• Like 1

Kosta

This a wonderful layout less is more I love all of the Scottish railways my current layout is based on a papermill in Fife and is freight only are you planning to run any freight trains on your layout?

Also will this be a through layout or have a fiddle yard at each end?

Finally I am looking at building a new layout that will feature loco hauled passenger trains and your layout will provide inspiration.

Kind Regards

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I took the layout outside to check for its appearance in broad daylight, and it is not only now that I've (repeatedly) noted, that Dapol's Class 26 and 27 have a real blatant touch of petroleum colour to them. In my eyes, they should be of a dark BR blue ... am I wrong?

I agree about the Dapol BR Blue being a bit off. Perhaps they spray it over the top of the warning panel yellow, giving the green-ish tint? Its not quite right, but not sufficiently off that I'd want to re-spray them. It looks like Mercig do a full re-spray as part of their weathering of these locos though.

Perhaps a general fading and weathering might make it less noticeable? 

The layout is looking excellent though!

Justin

• 2 months later...

If you check out my thread entitled "a new project" in the layout topics section you will be able to see my 00 gauge version of Loch Tay taking shape. Early days so far.

Edited by andyram

• 1 month later...

Kosta

This a wonderful layout less is more I love all of the Scottish railways my current layout is based on a papermill in Fife and is freight only are you planning to run any freight trains on your layout?

Also will this be a through layout or have a fiddle yard at each end?

Finally I am looking at building a new layout that will feature loco hauled passenger trains and your layout will provide inspiration.

Kind Regards

Dave

Hi Dave

Thank you! I am planning on staying as close to the original as possible. Which means that any train will comprise a Standard 4MT tank, plus a Thompson non-gangwayed coach and a 12 ton box van. Maybe two Thompsons and a brake van, as the Killin school train consist was made up of them sometimes . Currently, there's no Thompsons available in N gauge, so I'll replace them with MK1 BCK for the time being. The layout will be extended eventually. I do have some baseboards left from another project, on which I used to practise some basic techniques in building layouts. I am envisioning building the whole length of the Killin Railway from Lix to Loch Tay station. Maybe including Killin Junction and perhaps Glenogle viaduct to add some operational interest. We'll see. :)

Cheers, Kosta

Hi all

Seems like the modelling season has started again - I see a lot of development going on lately, and my micro is no exception. The structures are all finished and set up, details like fences and sheep have been added, and I've given the scenery a more autumnish look. Not too long ago, I've read somewhere, that credible layouts set in autumn are hard to find. So I figured I'd give it a try, as most coloured pictures of the Killin Railway from the 60ies seem to have been taken in September anyway. And I must say, I am a bit proud of the outcome, though there's still room for further improvement. I.e. I find the scatter material to be a bit to coarse in places, especially when you look up close. The pictures reveal such details much better, than the artistic eye that has put them there.

Anyway, things are going well with the micro. For me, the Killin Railway is the perfect prototype for modellers, so I've spent a lot of time on research lately. And as I have mentioned before, I'm thinking of extending the micro and integrating it in a bigger layout covering the whole length of the Killin Railway. Including Lix, Dochart viaduct, Killin station, Lochay bridge, Finnlarig Castle and - of course - Loch Tay. My interpretation of Loch Tay will be christened "Loch Kay", until I have the time and the resources to re-create the original buildings, that will replace the superb, but out of place looking scalescenes structures. Sadly, I can't find any detailed pictures of Loch Tay shed. It seems evident, that all photographs have been taken from the station platform only. I can't find any showing the sides of the shed... .

@andyram: I went through the topics list, can't find your thread though. I am really interested to see your progress.  

JgCZFm.jpg

RGMNx7.jpg

QEn4hA.jpg

oeqifI.jpg

Yh1xVt.jpg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kosta,

Only just saw this thread.  Your work really captures the atmosphere of the various published photos; a really great piece of work.

I don't know if this is of interest but 'Modellers' Backtrack' once published a set of drawings for all of the buildings on the branch; I can't remember when this was but it would have been back in the 1980s.

Again, a great piece of work.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 2