Loch Tay (or the like) microlayout in N gauge

Hi all

Seems like the modelling season has started again - I see a lot of development going on lately, and my micro is no exception. The structures are all finished and set up, details like fences and sheep have been added, and I've given the scenery a more autumnish look. Not too long ago, I've read somewhere, that credible layouts set in autumn are hard to find. So I figured I'd give it a try, as most coloured pictures of the Killin Railway from the 60ies seem to have been taken in September anyway. And I must say, I am a bit proud of the outcome, though there's still room for further improvement. I.e. I find the scatter material to be a bit to coarse in places, especially when you look up close. The pictures reveal such details much better, than the artistic eye that has put them there.

Anyway, things are going well with the micro. For me, the Killin Railway is the perfect prototype for modellers, so I've spent a lot of time on research lately. And as I have mentioned before, I'm thinking of extending the micro and integrating it in a bigger layout covering the whole length of the Killin Railway. Including Lix, Dochart viaduct, Killin station, Lochay bridge, Finnlarig Castle and - of course - Loch Tay. My interpretation of Loch Tay will be christened "Loch Kay", until I have the time and the resources to re-create the original buildings, that will replace the superb, but out of place looking scalescenes structures. Sadly, I can't find any detailed pictures of Loch Tay shed. It seems evident, that all photographs have been taken from the station platform only. I can't find any showing the sides of the shed... .

@andyram: I went through the topics list, can't find your thread though. I am really interested to see your progress.  

JgCZFm.jpg

RGMNx7.jpg

QEn4hA.jpg

oeqifI.jpg

Yh1xVt.jpg

Love the pictures. You really have captured Loch Tay very well. My project has moved a little bit away from the Killin branch. I am still keeping the feel of the cramped terminus station, but it will now be called "Gairloch". It is this title that the layout thread now carries (see Layout topics).

• Like 2