CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Larry, the layout is looking amazing! And I couldn't agree more with Andyram, the last picture especially is stunning. I can just imagine that Pannier trundling to its home shed having dropped the last wagons at Carrog . . .

Keep up the great work!

• RMweb Gold

Eeeh Mabel, look at the telegraph poles. It's a real railway now!  I have corrupted history, but they'll last a lot longer on't wrong side of line than at front of layout...

Don't worry about which side of the line they are, are they the right way round? !! ;-) I think the arms go on the Paddington side of the pole (doesn't work at a triangular junction) and photos seem to bear that out. Not sure what happens on branches where the connection to the main line is 'away' from Paddington. (An excuse to go for either way and still be correct?)

Apologies if you don't want the water muddied that much.

Paul.

I have had to put mine, at Helmsdale, at the front in places, and started off fixing them rigidly. Almost all have been snapped off thanks to the necessities of reaching over the layout, so most now are in a hole drilled in the plaster base of the scenery, and very prone to leaning and swaying as soon as a camera is produced... Plans are to sink brass tubing into the base and slot them into that  to hopefully strike a balance between vertical and flexible that can survive the occasional contact with the operators arm......

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Greenery complete for the moment. Yup, telegraph poles to follow...

Neat PVA brushed on....

attachicon.gifWEB Grass 1.jpg

Static grass sprinkle on...

attachicon.gifWEB Grass 2.jpg

Vacuum'd off to leave the grass standing....

attachicon.gifWEB Grass 3.jpg

A little ray of sunlight and grass recovering from a burning as a Pannier rumbles by...

attachicon.gifWEB Grass 4.jpg

I love that look Larry - lots of folk seem to forget (or are too young to know?) the way lineside slopes and grass were looked after back in the steam age and tend to base everything on today's lineside jungle and not on something which was regularly cut and/or burnt to the ground (WR practice) twice a year so never went really wild.

And yes - there were tales of burning fenceposts :O 

• Like 2

..... are they the right way round? !! ;-) I think the arms go on the Paddington  London side of the pole .....

Nothing to do with Carrig, but the LNWR branch line, known as the Central Wales Line, has the arms on the Shrewsbury side of the poles, starting at Swansea, Victoria.  

Fortunately for me, my layout is the right orientation to have the Telegraph poles behind the track - and they're in brass tubes too.

PS - If your looking at the article/post/topic on my layout, there have been changes.. :sungum:

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

I've just driven across France and then from Portsmouth to Gloucestershire. What really struck me about England is how the roadside vegetation has been allowed to grow and, honestly, get out of hand - road signs hidden by branches, no mowed verges and dead wildlife on the side of the road, etc. Looking back to 1950s photos the scene was totally different. The same is true about trackside vegetation though in recent years attempts to redress the situation have resulted in landslips.

I have even heard recent landslips blamed on I K Brunel, a pathfinder if ever there was one who showed us how things should be done and how they should not. He was the first to recognize where he had made errors of judgment, thogh the historical record likes to suggest otherwise.

I missed being the 60 millionth paying traveller to cross the Viaduc de Millau by a few dozen vehicles. What a bummer!

Larry, all looks very good, keep it up, you are my inspirator!

Paul

I've just driven across France and then from Portsmouth to Gloucestershire. What really struck me about England is how the roadside vegetation has been allowed to grow and, honestly, get out of hand - road signs hidden by branches, no mowed verges and dead wildlife on the side of the road, etc. Looking back to 1950s photos the scene was totally different. The same is true about trackside vegetation though in recent years attempts to redress the situation have resulted in landslips.

I have even heard recent landslips blamed on I K Brunel, a pathfinder if ever there was one who showed us how things should be done and how they should not. He was the first to recognize where he had made errors of judgment, thogh the historical record likes to suggest otherwise.

I missed being the 60 millionth paying traveller to cross the Viaduc de Millau by a few dozen vehicles. What a bummer!

Larry, all looks very good, keep it up, you are my inspirator!

Paul

You probably also noticed the large amount of Litter we now have on our Roadsides Paul.

Welcome home BTW.

Back in the 70's when I was a Highways Assistant Divisional Surveyor, we still had Lengthsmen in our Division, mainly elderly lads as I recall - I was still young then - who kept their lengths of Highway good and tidy - There were cash bonuses each year..
The Pot Holes etc., where repaired  by our peripatetic teams, though the Lengthsmen would tell us what needed doing, normally to the area Supervisor as he swanned around in a Council Van, or me in the pub of an evening - If nothing was done, the Lengthsmen then phoned the Divisional Surveyor whilst he was having Dinner, and he would contact us asking WHY? etc., etc., normally around 11pm.  It worked, rollickings right down the chain of command - Ah, happy days, especially if the work meant I had to have lunch at The Trout Inn at Beulah, Herefordshire (It must be 40 years since was last there), and end the day near Hay-On-Wye, books, loads of proper books still there then, and very old photo's in the Castle for sale.

Oh, yes, the topic, thus the highways were kept fairly clean and tidy, no rubbish, foliage kept neat etc.,

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 10

Introducing the new boy on the block. As a change from Digitrains sounds on Zimo, I installed one of the new generation YouChoos sounds together with a 'Flame10' cube speaker. The exhaust has more bass than my other locos but the camera's mic doesn't do it justice. Spent two days altering CV's and I still ain't done.....

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Is that 9017? I remember seeing it in storage at Oswstry Works. I am not sure if Swindon even knew it was still there, but it survived.

Someone did!, fortunately!  I have travelled behind it - just before it was withdrawn when it was assisting the Up CCE up to Talerddig summit.  'Manor' plus 'Dukedog' - what could be nicer or better than that on the Cambrian main line?

Is that 9017? I remember seeing it in storage at Oswstry Works. I am not sure if Swindon even knew it was still there, but it survived.

And some of us are very glad she did survive !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just driven across France and then from Portsmouth to Gloucestershire. What really struck me about England is how the roadside vegetation has been allowed to grow and, honestly, get out of hand - road signs hidden by branches, no mowed verges and dead wildlife on the side of the road, etc.

Hi

Where I live its due to council cut backs and the verges only get two "safety" cuts a year now.

The majority of the villagers have taken to cutting the verges themselves within the village boundaries.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Larry, the synchronisation of beats to wheel revolution seems spot on. Is it an ESU or Zimo chip?

I have standardized on Zimo after a poor experience with ESU. The chuff rate on this one took some arriving at. The CV was set at 90 on receipt. Eventually I settled on 70, but it got out of synch again by mid afternoon, so it was set again just prior to filming. It is probably the one thing that grates with modellers if it isn't right.

Hi Paul, no its not 9017. Plates haven't been ordered until I decide whether to fit a top-feed or not. I traveled behind a Dukedog from Afon Wen to Portmadoc and another member of the class took me back later in the in 1955, but don't ask me their numbers. I didn't live in Wales then but was convalescing at a hotel belonging to a friend of the family. Although only 13, they gave me some money one morning and said have a good day. So I did!

• Like 6

A spot of shunting using the Dukedog. The decider has an active brake on F-key #2 and it is brilliant for spotting wagons on a Kadee magnet. I hadn't finished altering CV's when this was filmed. Normally I set a much quieter chuff that clicks in automatically once the loco is in its stride (it avoids the machine-gun effect), but this small loco sounds better with a decent exhaust so the 'secondary' exhaust isn't as much reduced now. Clanking while coasting volume has also been reduced. I also transferred a double toot from F-key 24 to F'key 3....

One sound that was far too loud was the boiler hiss. But when I reduced it's volume it completely disappeared and I can't get it back. So I use F-key 8 as a manually operated boiler hiss. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 16

Hi Larry,

Very much enjoyed the video experience and your cv " trials " .

It prompted me to try an ESU sound decoder in mine and to be quite frank it really didn't cut the mustard despite spending an hour or so this afternoon changing the cv's.

I think it will have to be the Zimo decoder when I get around to refitting, ironically in the interim I've put a basic non sound into it and it has perfect running qualities again. There seemed to be an issue with jerkiness with the ESU too, most strange.

Grahame

Larry, a few observations and questions – the blend you have achieved between the 3D and 2D is wonderful – is your back scene created from an image or images that you shot?

Being somewhat of a novice may I ask what sort of coupling you are using?

The 4-4-0 sounds fabulous to me. Do the wheel revolutions accurately map to the audio? I often see models that I think have too many chuffs for the wheel revolutions – with this I don't know but the sounds are very good, to me at least. Can you get a sound for point rodding to disguise the buzz of the point motors or could you use servos – the buzzes slightly distract from the wonderful engine sounds.

The 4-4-0 will look perfect with a crew to complete it but you know that already!

Great stuff – I'm enjoying this – thank you.

Edited by Anglian

I couldn't get a smooth start from a crawl with an ESU and there was some jerkiness even though the chassis performed faultlessly on DC.  The company that offered to 'sort it out' even fitted a Zimo in the end.

That's exactly the experience I was having from a crawl this afternoon. In DC mode there is no problem and with a standard decoder fitted and made to operate in both modes that too performs faultlessly.

Lesson learnt, I'll get the ESU reblown and fit it into another loco that I know runs fine with it.

Grahame