CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

• RMweb Premium

I had every confidence in it. The Dean Goods is so useful and I doubt anyone could make such a complete ###### of one that an average railway modeller couldn't sort it out.  

Interesting to read that Larry and also Mikes comments. Having read the Model Rail review, I was going to avoid getting one. maybe I need to pop along to Guagemaster and have a look myself. I dare say Henley would have seen several Dean Goods.

• Like 2

'Round 'ere we called them Black Foives "Mickeys".  Don't ask me why.

Sorry about that, stuck in Sandwell this afternoon on the M5 and I was reminded of too many youthful memories.

According to "Platform Souls" by a Mr. Whittaker from Burton (On Trent), "Blackies" was the local term for the LMS Class 5MT...

"Mickeys". was, it seems also a Liverpool area name....

Back to the Dean Goods...

The Oxford loco does look better in black I think... The early Great Western with all the brass is a bit too much, especially when the brass is only paint, not real brass....

Edited by Sarahagain

I started a job that had been pending last night which involved re-shuffling three loco bodies, tenders and chassis. One tender had to have its wires switched over to match the loco, so this morning i tested them and they still worked! Then followed re-setting chuff rate on all three.  Two locos ran in reverse direction to normal so they were 'read' on the programming track and reset by one digit using Cv29. Then they were given new addresses. Finally the loco number was written on the tenders so I wouldn't get totally confused later! This is how they looked....

This factory-weathered body needs to be completely repainted to match the repainted tender....

post-6680-0-34454800-1509106594.jpg

This factory-weathered chassis needs to be toned down. The 4000 gallon tender needs weathering slightly to match the loco....

post-6680-0-83248900-1509106595.jpg

The factory-weathered 3,500 gallon 'Intermediate' tender needs a complete repaint to match the ex.works loco...

post-6680-0-06463600-1509106597.jpg

They are currently going through the paintshop.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Eee!! I dunna know a bluddy LMS man moddlin them green things, can't even finish "em off. still got metal showin on't safety valves an chimley

World's cummin to an end.

Sorry Larry, great stuff as ever.

Mike

Edited by ikks

First one's done. The excess of grey on the wheels was toned down with brown (rust-spray) and black (lub). Tender chassis 'browned' to match the locos and tender sides wafted over with weathering in places as were the cylinders. No.6859 Yewsley Grange is now correct with its 4000 gallon tender as seen in the mid 1950's. The copper was revived on the chimney as well, but the safely valve cover was left tarnished....

post-6680-0-42239600-1509110229_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I had every confidence in it. The Dean Goods is so useful and I doubt anyone could make such a complete ###### of one that an average railway modeller couldn't sort it out.  

Well, I will admit to having been put off by previous comments, but yours looks so good, that I think I will change my mind and get a BR black one some time for my MId-Wales/Welsh borders cameo layout.

• Like 2

5925 Eastcote Hall is now finished. The tender was completely repainted to match the  ex.works finish on the loco. This was one of the class to run with an Intermediate 3.500 gallon tender in the 1950's. All three locos carry exactly the same green but this one was photographed as the light was fading at 17.00hrs.....

post-6680-0-27450100-1509121340_thumb.jpg

The third loco is finished, but the PPC mixed-for-spraying satin varnish is taking its time to dry.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Black Foives? Reminds me of that Brummie bird on Jukebox Jury who kept awarding pop records a score of foive.

Janice Nicholls. She was actually from Wednesbury.

I had a girl from Wednesbury in my office. She was very useful as an interpreter when we ventured into the darker reaches of the Black Country around Lye and out past Kingswinford.

• Like 2

When I go back to the Birmingham and Black Country areas of my roots I find myself slipping into the local accents just like that. It all seems very strange for someone who was often mistaken for being a Texan in the 1990s.

As to Black 5s, I did spend time at Crewe so probably mixed with Scouses on the footbridge over the Muck Hole, as I seem to remember it being called. We did call them Mickeys in Birmingham though. Other local nicknames were Dobbins for Jinties (never heard one called a Jinty back then) while some of the other names, like Flying Pigs and Micky Mouses seem to me to be heritage era names rather than being in fashion in the late 1950s. The most common names at New Street and Tamworth were:

Semis - Princess Coronations (they were never, ever, called Duchesses back then)

Prinnies - self explanatory

Scots, Pates and Joobs - self explanatory

Austin Sevens - 7F 0-8-0s but rare by then

Equally, 9Fs were never referred to as Spaceships back then. Another heritage coined name perhaps?

The Western Region by comparison was easy as Ian Allan gave us Kings, Castles etc. to run with.

I feel lucky to have been in at that place and time. To me the LMR and WR were the best and we had them both in spades.

• Like 1

5925 Eastcote Hall is now finished. The tender was completely repainted to match the ex.works finish on the loco. This was one of the class to run with an Intermediate 3.500 gallon tender in the 1950's. All three locos carry exactly the same green but this one was photographed as the light was fading at 17.00hrs.....

WEB Sound shuffle 5.jpg

The third loco is finished, but the PPC mixed-for-spraying satin varnish is taking its time to dry.

It’s a pity Hornby don’t take onboard your version of BR (and GWR) green........

• RMweb Gold

When I go back to the Birmingham and Black Country areas of my roots I find myself slipping into the local accents just like that. It all seems very strange for someone who was often mistaken for being a Texan in the 1990s.

Our postman in the Peak District always says he knows when I have been out with my Daughter as it takes me a few days to get out of speaking Brummie, even though she has spent the last 20 years in the north. My eldest Grandson speaks Manc with a Brummie accent.

As to Black 5s, I did spend time at Crewe so probably mixed with Scouses on the footbridge over the Muck Hole, as I seem to remember it being called. We did call them Mickeys in Birmingham though. Other local nicknames were Dobbins for Jinties (never heard one called a Jinty back then) while some of the other names, like Flying Pigs and Micky Mouses seem to me to be heritage era names rather than being in fashion in the late 1950s. The most common names at New Street and Tamworth were:

Semis - Princess Coronations (they were never, ever, called Duchesses back then)

Prinnies - self explanatory

Scots, Pates and Joobs - self explanatory

Austin Sevens - 7F 0-8-0s but rare by then

Equally, 9Fs were never referred to as Spaceships back then. Another heritage coined name perhaps?

First time I heard the nickname Spaceship for a 9F was from a Saltley fireman around 1961.

Flying Pig I heard mainly for the Ivatt 4, sometimes for a WD 2-8-0, although these were more commonly DubDees.

Princesses were sometimes called 'Lizzies', Coronations 'Big Lizzies'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From Accrington / Blackburn / Preston area circa 1966:

Black 5s were "Mickeys" there too.

The 8Fs were "Big 8s" 

Pats, Jubs, Scots, Semis and DubDees as previously suggested.

Never heard "Spaceship", can't remember what we called them. "Evening Stars" maybe?  And never heard of Mickey Mice.

Cheers

Chris

Ah well, back to Carrog.  Real locos and stock get their weathering colour off the rails more than anything else.  Rust dust is brown, so I dont' know where grey weathering came from....... 

post-6680-0-69026100-1509185448.jpg

Loco driving wheels and outside axleboxes tend to obtain their colouring from lubricant. Cruel close ups show up my hurriedly applied lining. Those sand pipes are the third lot to be fitted...

post-6680-0-23868400-1509185450_thumb.jpg

The final loco of the 'sound shuffle' trio was suitable weathered this morning to represent a care-worn appearance...

post-6680-0-40718400-1509185451_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Excellent WR appearances achieved there Coach and I love the (correct) 'browner' weathering JLTRT.

Ivatt Class 2 = Mickey Mouse, Ivatt 4 = Flying Pig, Scots, Joobs, and Pats all self explanatory. 9Fs were 9Fs down our (WR) way but were 'Spaceships' among spotters on the East Coast,  Dub-dees were Dub-dees just about everywhere in my experience, Duchesses wrere 'Semis'  among many LM spotting folk, ex LNW 0-8-0s were 'Duck eights', Southern q1s were ;coffeepots' to reading area spotters - Charlies seems to have been the term used by SR enginemen.

But getting back on Carrog track 'Halls' were definitely 'Halls' and 'Granges' were always 'Granges' but to enginemen they seem to have usually been '49ers' and '68ers' but 'Castles' were always 'Castles' and 'Kings' were always 'Kings'.  And to Old Oak enginemen 47XX were never 'Night Owls' but invariably 'those bl**dy things' or sometimes 'those bl**dy 47ers'  (and I have heard them called far worse by those who had the unenviable task of firing them on Summer Saturday passenger trains to the West Country).

• Like 2

Larry

A fine trio from Swindon.  The Granges do look the part.  And they are equally at home on passenger or heavy goods.  I wonder when a decent OO gauge Manor will come to market - next week perhaps?

The past few days' weather has been interesting - bl**dy cold this morning in the Cotswolds after a glorious day yesterday.  We are off to North Wales some time next week to do some house maintenance but also some train stuff if possible.  Then back to France and some serious modelling, I hope, on new Penmaenpool baseboards!

My apologies for introducing the "naming of locos" on your thread, I was in a bit of a state after being stuck on the M5 with the seconds ticking away on Grainge & Hodders working hours.  But it all worked out in the end.  They make a nice product.

Paul

• Like 3

Excellent WR appearances achieved there Coach and I love the (correct) 'browner' weathering JLTRT.

Ivatt Class 2 = Mickey Mouse, Ivatt 4 = Flying Pig, Scots, Joobs, and Pats all self explanatory. 9Fs were 9Fs down our (WR) way but were 'Spaceships' among spotters on the East Coast,  Dub-dees were Dub-dees just about everywhere in my experience, Duchesses wrere 'Semis'  among many LM spotting folk, ex LNW 0-8-0s were 'Duck eights', Southern q1s were ;coffeepots' to reading area spotters - Charlies seems to have been the term used by SR enginemen.

But getting back on Carrog track 'Halls' were definitely 'Halls' and 'Granges' were always 'Granges' but to enginemen they seem to have usually been '49ers' and '68ers' but 'Castles' were always 'Castles' and 'Kings' were always 'Kings'.  And to Old Oak enginemen 47XX were never 'Night Owls' but invariably 'those bl**dy things' or sometimes 'those bl**dy 47ers'  (and I have heard them called far worse by those who had the unenviable task of firing them on Summer Saturday passenger trains to the West Country).

According to Mr. Whittaker (Buton on Trent), the WD locos were known as "Ozzies" from Austerities. Along with the "Duck Eights" there were also "Duck Sixes", I presume the LMS 3F and possibly 4F 0-6-0 Tender locos? "8 Freight" is obviously the LMS 8F 2-8-0s.

"Semi" was usually the name for an ex Streamlind "Princess Coronation", with the sloping smokebox retained until replacement.

I'm not sure what their nickname 'officially' was, but in preparation for its move to the Swanage Railway the other day someone at Bewdley MPD wrote into the grime 'Mr Woodham' on the rods of 34053 'Sir Keith Park' . . .

Larry, that Great Western trio looks spectacular

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure what their nickname 'officially' was, but in preparation for its move to the Swanage Railway the other day someone at Bewdley MPD wrote into the grime 'Mr Woodham' on the rods of 34053 'Sir Keith Park' . . .

I thought that Mr Woodham's mark dated from the time of the loco's withdrawal, and had been etched so deeply that it wouldn't come off. (Photograph from 2013).

post-7060-0-73940600-1509204381_thumb.jpg

• Like 6