CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Following yesterday's photoshopped rusty underframe, I mixed a colour and resprayed the underframe this morning.  Hundreds of photos tell me its right, but looking at it on the layout leaves me very unsure. It will be left as the only one to see if it grows on me....

post-6680-0-81328500-1528541926_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 9

Hi Larry; Good to see the Pics and as Martin said, good to see you posting again.

I'm guessing that the double Track section that you mention will be out side on the Garden loop, If that's the case then a great excuse for passing Trains in Carrog.

I have had time to give this some thought and it would entail a lot of relaying seeing as double track rules would apply and affect the goods yard entry & exit. The yard would also require a headshunt. This kind of work is out of the question at the mo. 

I s

I have had time to give this some thought and it would entail a lot of relaying seeing as double track rules would apply and affect the goods yard entry & exit. The yard would also require a headshunt. This kind of work is out of the question at the mo. 

I see where your coming from with that, so just leave the Station as a Passing Loop on the Single Track, or Goods run around sounds more logical.

I also think that a Headshunt from the Goods Yard would spoil the approach and the Rural look with the Fields and embankment.

• RMweb Gold

The other thing is the visual effect of double track as it would make the whole layout look shorter and takeaway some of the 'openness' that currently exists.

The new yard has gaw'n. As soon as the baseboard extension was removed this afternoon, the shed was so light and airy again. This has put the station back at the front of the baseboard where I can enjoy a good view of trains arriving and departing.  In fact it will revert to being Carrog with a yard behind the signalbox but with a Provender store acting as a more up-market goods shed than a corrugated hut.  No livestock pens this time though. The other siding will be for coal. The field in front of the station will be put back, but it will be lower this time to make photography easier.

post-6680-0-59242100-1528744129_thumb.jpg

The set of points on the down loop have been left in place temporarily so we can operate trains tomorrow when friends arrive.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 10

Hummmm :O

Is that some feedback from one of your amplifiers Andy or just a comment about what Coach has gorn and dun ?  :jester:

G

Is that some feedback from one of your amplifiers Andy or just a comment about what Coach has gorn and dun ?  :jester:

G

I think the latter, and I'm in pain. :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :rtfm:  :butcher:

Amp's are controllable, just. :sungum:

The new yard has gaw'n. As soon as the baseboard extension was removed this afternoon, the shed was so light and airy again. This has put the station back at the front of the baseboard where it can be clearly seen, but so too is the months of neglect. The old yard behind the signalbox will be put back and I aim to use the pre-fabricated Provender store as a goods shed. No livestock pens this time. The other siding will be for coal. The field in front of the station will be put back, but it will be lower this time to make photography easier.

attachicon.gifWEB Carrog 33.jpg

Err, dare one ask what became of that 'other' goods shed? You know, the big corrugated iron one that someone lavished a great deal of care and attention on during its design and construction (pauses to wipe a tear from his eye)  :(

Steve N

Err, dare one ask what became of that 'other' goods shed? You know, the big corrugated iron one that someone lavished a great deal of care and attention on during its design and construction (pauses to wipe a tear from his eye)  :(

Steve N

Hi Steve, I PM'd Paul Ashton the other day telling him of my plans before anything was lifted. All the buildings have been very carefully removed and will be sent back when him next month when he is next in the UK.

The buildings were great and full of character, but the track layout was a disaster for Kadee couplings. Several things worked against it plus the widened baseboard left the shed very cramped. 

Regards,

Larry

Hi Larry,

I thought "Carrog Road" was fantastic and very believable in an almost alternative reality. But... Having said that, I felt that your reproduction of the prototype was to such an excellent standard that the alternative reality detracted from it. Nothing to do with the quality of modelling or imagination and back story, I guess personally I just liked to see a well loved station and surroundings reproduced in great detail and instantly recognisable as Carrog.

John

• Like 2

Hi Steve, I PM'd Paul Ashton the other day telling him of my plans before anything was lifted. All the buildings have been very carefully removed and will be sent back when him next month when he is next in the UK.

The buildings were great and full of character, but the track layout was a disaster for Kadee couplings. Several things worked against it plus the widened baseboard left the shed very cramped. 

Regards,

Larry

Steve (and Larry)

Don't worry, your handiwork will continue to exist!  I still have the rest of the buildings (shed, station, water column) and have lifted all the soldered track from the original baseboards.  I have some Grainge and Hodder baseboards which could be used in the future (they were originally for Penmaenpool).  I also have two key locos for a late 1930s prototype layout - a Dean Goods and an Airfix 48XX - as well as coaching stock and wagons, etc.  The locos both have Comet chassis and need to be finished off.  I have the room for the layout but beed to focus on Penmaenpool for the time being.

More later!

Paul

• Like 5

Larry

May I also add that, as much as I admired your fictional goods yard, I think I prefer the actual prototype model of Carrog.  Sometimes "simple" is the right approach.  Which is why, when I get back to Shipston it will not have the fantasy link to Ettington and the S&MJR.  But I do have a GWR Dukedog with Tyseley shed code to play with - there, non-prototypical comment in the very next sentence!

Paul

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 7

Hi  Paul and Steve,

Normally I change direction without it affecting anyone, but this time I put things off because of the buildings. So I am glad Paul is considering doing Shipston-on Stour full justice.  Re a Dukedog, it could be coupled to a small tender off an Oxford Dean Goods and it would look really charming and different from the norm.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

Regards,

Larry

Hi Larry,

My query was obviously with my tongue firmly in my cheek.  Mind you, as someone who has singularly failed (over a long period of time) to complete an actual model railway layout, to see one built to such a level, then modified beyond that and now returned to its former self, is both humbling and embarrassing in equal measure (LOL).

Keep up the good work and (as always), do what gives you the most pleasure.

Steve N

• Like 4

On this thread nothing seems to be set in stone, things are constantly changing as new ideas surface.

i don't know about anyone else but I find it fascinating to watch the continuous stream of new top quality models that are produced, every time I log on I am looking forward to see the latest developments.

• Like 1

One bit of track sorted and out of the way after removing a turnout. The cork base had to be sanded to match the camber under adjacent track before the track was glued, ballasted and rails painted rusty colour. The goods yard next.....

post-6680-0-70274400-1528891314.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

Hi coach,

May I ask, what colour and manufacturer paint you use for your rail sides please? Apologies if you've already said.

Many thanks,

John

I have always used Precision Paints/Phoenix 977 Track colour (Rusty Rails) for rails (and chairs on running lines), and P981 Dirty Black for grease on point blades etc. Rails at the ends of sidings near buffer stops are left Railmatch Sleeper Grime. I paint rails the same rust colour in sidings but paint chairs dirty black. 

Edited by coachmann

It's raining now for the first time in weeks in this part of Wales, but I got the goods yard laid while the temperature was still high this afternoon. Some of the greenery will be renewed to complete the major groundwork this weekend and then new fencing and other details will follow at leisure. No photos as its too wet and dark.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

I have always used Precision Paints/Phoenix 977 Track colour (Rusty Rails) for rails (and chairs on running lines), and P981 Dirty Black for grease on point blades etc. Rails at the ends of sidings near buffer stops are left Railmatch Sleeper Grime. I paint rails the same rust colour in sidings but paint chairs dirty black.

Very informative, thank you very much.

John