Buses on the Isle of Sheppey, Kent.

theplasticbrummy

That just reminded me: Corgi OOC did a model of their MCW Metrobus Mk2 in that livery as well. I can't tell you what route it was modelled on, at the moment as mine is buried in a box somewhere, currently.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Shroomy, crompton33 and chrissixties,

Cracking stuff, many thanks. 

I did think the services would have been to and from Maidstone given its size and locality but as I said before, I'd got nothing to confirm it.  Bus history is certainly more illusive than railway history - I assumed the bus fraternity would have been similar to us rail enthusiasts.

Cheers again,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

With reference to your posts last April about bus liveries have you got things sorted? There are a number of EFE vehicles available in the livery carried in the 1980's but here is a very good contact to have. There is an East Kent / Maidstone & District preservation society and they are excellent and always happy to help and advise. 

Kind Regards,

Paul.

• Like 2

Hi Andy,

With reference to your posts last April about bus liveries have you got things sorted? There are a number of EFE vehicles available in the livery carried in the 1980's but here is a very good contact to have. There is an East Kent / Maidstone & District preservation society and they are excellent and always happy to help and advise. 

Kind Regards,

Paul.

Hi Andy,

Further to my last post I've looked up the society that I mentioned. It is the M & D and East Kent Bus Club. If you email them with your question I'm sure they will reply with the information that you require, (mdekbusclub@gmail.com) Which particular M & D route are you after?

Kind Regards,

Paul.

Hello Paul.

I have picked up one model bus, but I can't remember what it is.  The layout (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122093-sheppey-steel-p4-isle-of-sheppey-steel-works-circa-1990/) is currently in storage along with its associated stock whilst I help my dad to finish off his layout.

Route-wise, I was looking for whichever numbers might have passed through Queenborough, specifically using Ramsgate Road (if any did).  Its just something else to locate the layout really so is not vital, but it would be nice.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply with the info on the society, I'll give it a try.

Cheers, Andy.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Paul.

I have picked up one model bus, but I can't remember what it is.  The layout (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122093-sheppey-steel-p4-isle-of-sheppey-steel-works-circa-1990/) is currently in storage along with its associated stock whilst I help my dad to finish off his layout.

Route-wise, I was looking for whichever numbers might have passed through Queenborough, specifically using Ramsgate Road (if any did).  Its just something else to locate the layout really so is not vital, but it would be nice.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply with the info on the society, I'll give it a try.

Cheers, Andy.

Hi Andy,

The route that covered Queenborough in my time was 54 with the occasional service extending to Rushenden. It's possible that this became 354 when they prefixed route numbers with a 3 but you'll have to check it. The Leysdown route in the 1960's was 62 but, I notice the photo showing one in the bus station has it displaying 360. Hope you get a result.

Paul. 

• 2 months later...

Hi Andy

Sorry I did not see mention of me on this thread last year! I think you have as much info as I could provide - I was there,on and off, between 1981 and 1984. My main memory of M&D buses in the Rushenden Road part, were usually Leyland Nationals, but of course the double deckers featured too. I do not recall Kings Ferry, who had only recently started their commuter services, going to the Rushenden estate, so you need not bother with them.

Looking forward to progress on your layout when you get the chance! I am planning to build a Queenborough station and yard layout (and probably all the way to Sheerness, as I will have the room by the end of this year). But mine will start the other side of the road bridge from where yours finishes. But I too have been collecting M&D buses for (I hope) the right era.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hi Andy,

Here's an update on what you are looking for regarding the Queenborough/Rushenden bus route. I've found some photos on a local website that confirm my previous comments, route numbers were indeed prefixed with a 3 at some point (probably early 80's). I cannot find a photo of a 354 but it shows a 362 to Rushenden. In my time the 62 was a Sheerness to Leysdown route but I found a 362 displaying Rushenden. That service was extended by the looks of it and ran from Leysdown into Sheerness and then onto Rushenden.

I reckon there must have been a 354 so to cover Rushenden Road you've two options, 354 or 362. If you go onto Trevor Edwards Sheppey Pictures and click on "Buses" you'll find the afore mentioned.

Regards,

Paul.