Saltash station building to be acquired by Council

pb_devon

• RMweb Gold

Finally, common sense prevails. I'm interested to see what kind of a role it will have in the future.

I shall endeavour to ask Mrs Stationmaster to contact her contact on the Council and see if she can say what they intend to do with it.  Should said contact ask Mrs Stationmaster to ask me for my opinion or advice regarding what they should do with it what would you like me to say?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I shall endeavour to ask Mrs Stationmaster to contact her contact on the Council and see if she can say what they intend to do with it.  Should said contact ask Mrs Stationmaster to ask me for my opinion or advice regarding what they should do with it what would you like me to say?

I don't know enough about Saltash in general and more particularly its Town Council. It may be that it can use the building itself but otherwise they should be looking for the most lucrative tenancy that they can. It ought to be quite nice for a small cafe/bar given the location and views.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't know enough about Saltash in general and more particularly its Town Council. It may be that it can use the building itself but otherwise they should be looking for the most lucrative tenancy that they can. It ought to be quite nice for a small cafe/bar given the location and views.

My initial question of Mrs Stationmaster got the reply 'some sort of heritage thing I think' however I shall endeavour to remind her to obtain further information the next time she speaks to her old school friend (who happens to be a local Councillor in Saltash)

To answer the questions on planned use, SRUG say: "The vision for the site is to provide passenger facilities such as toilets, waiting room and a cafe, along with other community uses, and some commercial letting space to help with overall viability."

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

To answer the questions on planned use, SRUG say: "The vision for the site is to provide passenger facilities such as toilets, waiting room and a cafe, along with other community uses, and some commercial letting space to help with overall viability."

Exactly the right kind of thing, unless it was to become an exceptionally well-stocked model shop with good opening hours and brilliant and unlimited coffee on tap.
  • Like 2

It's all a cover I tell you. Those 'in the know' are aware that plans for Cornish independence are well underway. The building has been acquired as a customs and immigration post for traffic entering and leaving Cornwall. The stuff about cafes, community uses and commercial lets is just to distract.

Just you wait - when the council buys up a disused Little Chef or petrol station on the A30 near Launceston you'll know that plans are well advanced

Edited by TomJ

I quite like sitting on the platform now and then.

Shame it's not busier really, but a train rarely stops without people getting on to travel across the water to England.

I'd be happy to buy a cuppa and just sit outside in the occasional sunshine and watch the odd train go by.

I did try and get the goods shed preserved, unfortunately NO one from anywhere I tried had any interest what so ever.

Let's hope the station fares better....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Right chaps - full(ish) story direct from a member of the local council

1. A purchase price has been agreed and apparently GWR are chipping in some cash to help the council purchase the building and might make further contributions in the future.

2. The revised and restored building will include a passenger waiting room, possibly a 'tea room', offices for rent and a meeting room for renting out (new venue for a mini-SWAGday?).

3. My informant (Mrs Stationmaster) wasn't sure if her friend mentioned a booking office or not.

So all systems are on their way, but I've no idea of timescales and I think the contract to purchase might not yet have been signed so no comments off-forum please.

• Like 2