If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello! long time lurker, first time poster...

Tomr91

Hello all, 

I thought I'd sign up and say hello, I've been floating around for several weeks now and I'm simply in awe of some of the skills and layouts on here! It's inspired me to take up a former hobby. 

I had a great layout around 10 years ago, which a house move prompted it all to be dismantled (moving it wasn't built into the original plan foolishly), and all the rolling stock, engines, buildings etc got put into boxes. I now have several lovely glass display cabinets which they sit on the garage wall in which some of the rolling stock sits.

A few months back I purchased a bit of flexi track some points, and I dug out an old controller (just the old Hornby dial one) and that resulted in hours of fun building and operating that old layout, and the bug was back.

Now I've no room for a layout at the moment as there's a car sat in the garage (which is currently up for sale - but nobody wants apparently!) and once that's moved and out the way, it's on my to do list. In the meantime, i've been polishing my skills on some scalescenes paper kits, and I'm on the lookout for some rolling stock kits too. I've no particular era in mind at the moment, my rolling stock is all a bit mixed, lots of GWR, A couple of German Marklin Locos, some BR stock and of course a LNER Flying Scotsman amongst many other things. 

I have a flicker of an idea of creating a 'modular' layout, as space is at a bit of a premium, using 4x2 boards all with there own 3 sided backdrop to create several detailed scenes, which can be interchanged with each other. This way, the layout can be kept fresh and changed around when wanted, and have sections added and taken away at will. There's lots to contemplate and several hurdles I am aware, but that's what I'm thinking! 

Thanks, 

Tom.

• Like 2

Welcome Tom

from a fellow long time Lurker ;)

You'll find a lot of experience and knowledge on this site from which draw inspiration and help.

Thanks! I already have, although I feel very much out of my depth!

Hi Tom

Welcome to the group. Please don't ever feel inferior to anyone here - we are all at different levels. Some are great at electronics, some at history, some at scenics, some at kit or scratch building, and so on, but there are very, very few who are good at everything. Some produce layouts at the speed of light. Some spend a lifetime thinking about it, but still get their enjoyment from that. Some, like me, aren't much cop at anything but keep on trying. One thing we all share in common is the joy of playing trains, so always remember Rule No.1. It's your railway, and if you like it, nothing else matters.

So always ask, and ignore the occasional self-righteousness. The vast majority will always have friendly advice and will only give supporting criticism, if they think that might help you. Not to score a point. The apparently stupid question is often the one many of us wanted to ask, but were too afraid of looking stupid.....

Space is a huge constraint for many and you will find plenty of ideas in here.

• Like 1

Hi Tom

Welcome to the group. Please don't ever feel inferior to anyone here - we are all at different levels. Some are great at electronics, some at history, some at scenics, some at kit or scratch building, and so on, but there are very, very few who are good at everything. Some produce layouts at the speed of light. Some spend a lifetime thinking about it, but still get their enjoyment from that. Some, like me, aren't much cop at anything but keep on trying. One thing we all share in common is the joy of playing trains, so always remember Rule No.1. It's your railway, and if you like it, nothing else matters.

So always ask, and ignore the occasional self-righteousness. The vast majority will always have friendly advice and will only give supporting criticism, if they think that might help you. Not to score a point. The apparently stupid question is often the one many of us wanted to ask, but were too afraid of looking stupid.....

Space is a huge constraint for many and you will find plenty of ideas in here.

Thanks Mike, I like to dabble in most things and I enjoy the journey of making more than the end result if I'm being honest! Hopefully I'll be able to make a start in the near future. I'm sure plenty of questions with come...

• Like 1