A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Am on hols at the moment which is great because it has given me time to sketch and ponder. My sketching and pondering has lead to the firm conviction that the backscene is the wrong shape and needs to be done again. I'm actually not at all sad about this as it's all part of the process anyway; a process I thoroughly enjoy. Also quite a bit of revision to some of the buildings. Very excited to get back home and get on with the revised backscene...! And buildings. And track. And electrics. And a reliable loco....

• Like 1

I e-mailed my form at just past midnight on the final day for entries. Not telling what it is though, as I don't know myself. Up to yesterday morning I had a plan already to start on, but then I saw a photo of something different that just has to be modelled! So it could be either, or a combination of the two :).

• Like 1

Phew! I wasn't last then.

P

It would have been sent before midnight, but I kept getting distracted by posts related to my new discovery on the NGRM forum! And that's not letting the cat out of the bag, as it was going to be narrow gauge anyway. Unless of course you happen to be on NGRM too :).

It would have been sent before midnight, but I kept getting distracted

I find myself being very easily distracted...  now what was I saying?

my new discovery on the NGRM forum! 

Isn't that the forum where everyone dresses in leathers & chains with tight latex helmets pulled over their heads? :smile_mini2:

Apparently they can all tie a very good knot.

Isn't that the forum where everyone dresses in leathers & chains with tight latex helmets pulled over their heads? :smile_mini2:

Apparently they can all tie a very good knot.

Can't say I've noticed, and no one has commented that I don't. They seem to spend all their time discussing narrow gauge railway modelling, whatever their dress code.

• 3 weeks later...

I e-mailed mine on the last day, and am assuming I'm in. It's not the end of the world if I'm not, as the layout could take nearer to 18 years, than 18 months, to finish anyway! The competition is an incentive to get started, rather than the reason for building the layout, and gives me some guidelines to work to. I suppose there's a remote chance it might be finished in time, and an even remoter chance of getting on the shortlist, or even winning, but that's not why I entered.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had word from someone, whose name is not Jeremy, that all entries would be acknowledged in due course. I have no reason to think that this is false news. This conversation took place in front of Clutton, so it must all be true. Surely?

I had word from someone, whose name is not Jeremy, that all entries would be acknowledged in due course. I have no reason to think that this is false news. This conversation took place in front of Clutton, so it must all be true. Surely?

I can say, that conversations in front of Clutton were not recorded by the on-board security devices, so no asking for any copies.

I did see some tapes being loaded into a van marked "Wikileaks", but I don't know if this was connected with the competition.

I don't know if this question has been asked before. What happens if you get your layout invited to attend shows before the judging of the competition? 

Marc 

It means you've finished too soon, and will show up everyone who doesn't go to bed for a week before the deadline :jester:.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if this question has been asked before. What happens if you get your layout invited to attend shows before the judging of the competition?

Marc

The first exhibition for my entry is next January.

Rob

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Interesting way to self-advertise... (entrants need to buy a book). That's me out. :)

Getting a copy of the book is the easy bit. Finding a serviceable time machine to take you back to 23rd September might be the bigger challenge.

• RMweb Gold

Getting a copy of the book is the easy bit. Finding a serviceable time machine to take you back to 23rd September might be the bigger challenge.

Oh I don't know, they say that the number 47 from Bovey Tracey bus station to Widecombe-in-the-Moor is scheduled to arrive two months ago last Friday.

Or if you're Monty Python, you could get up before you went to bed  - Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty nice hours a day down mill and pay mill owner for permission to come to work.

Edited by Captain Kernow

You could find an entrant who has dropped out and take over their entry. Provided you like the name of their layout!

"Something about building a layout I believe!"

Surely not modelling.....

I've been known to do a bit occasionally! I've just built a mock up of my Cakebox entry, that's based on a scene from my planned Cameo layout.

You could find an entrant who has dropped out and take over their entry. Provided you like the name of their layout!

...and are willing to buy the book off them ;).

• Like 1