A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

The final display of winning and shortlisted entries will now take place at "Railex" in Aylesbury in May of 2019 rather than 2018 as originally announced.

Damn. My shift roster says I'm on nights over that weekend.

I bought the book before any sort of layout championships was suggested - and I rather enjoyed it....maybe a layout will follow...

Anybody fancy a beer?

One pint Stout Of Circumstance please...

Helps with the cameo too.

C,-w

• RMweb Premium

What actually is a cameo layout? I know the book will explain that and I'm happy to buy it as I'm extremely well-disposed towards Mr Rice, but I don't want to buy it just yet as I think it might make my ideas run on certain Rice-like lines, as Clive Mortimer argued earlier. Can anyone supply a working definition of a cameo layout? 

Another question, re post 3, I don't see where it says in the rules that one has to show one's work in progress. 

• RMweb Gold

What actually is a cameo layout? I know the book will explain that and I'm happy to buy it as I'm extremely well-disposed towards Mr Rice, but I don't want to buy it just yet as I think it might make my ideas run on certain Rice-like lines, as Clive Mortimer argued earlier. Can anyone supply a working definition of a cameo layout?

Another question, re post 3, I don't see where it says in the rules that one has to show one's work in progress.

This question has already been answered either on here on the other threads in the Creating Cameo Layouts section.

This is all a bit circuitous now. The reason various posters have said buy the book is quite simply it is all in there. A short term fix is buy MRJ254 which has a page devoted to the subject. Now pro rata is it worth buying MRJ for one page ( though worth buying for the photos of Semley...) or pay out for a whole book on the subject.....

However to make is as simple as I can.......

Scenic section say 4ft 6 long framed to encapsulate the scene and draw the viewer in. This 'box' should be adequately lit to negate the use of torches by the viewer to see the contents. As to the contents, as much or little as the builder thinks appropriate and capable of operating.

As for standards, whatever you want.

Ideally electrics etc on the main board but I for one won't get to excited if they are not.

As regards recording progress, why not? This competition is as much about sharing experiences/techniques/c*ck ups as what it finally looks like.

In addition it also prevents the "Here's one I made earlier " scenario.........

Finally.........Call me old fashioned but this is all about keeping it simple. Too many seem to be getting bogged down in 'What ifs and Maybes". Therefore rather than building layouts every so often, useful modelling time is spent frequenting furniture shops to purchase new armchairs/ cushions worn out by years of procrastination.

Sheep Lane (my layout..see above) was as a result a bit of an epiphany. Built and exhibited in 12 months it dragged me out of the armchair( since handed over to the cat..) and I have done more modelling in the last 12 months than in the last few years.

Its a bit like buying new untried bottle of wine. Life's too short. Come on now.

Just do it. Live a little. Dip a toe.

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I don't need another layout ;) I do have a micro in the works but it doesn't really fit the books concept due to storage.

But I'll watch with interest. Regarding movement I think with the three judges ability to get a convincing working scene in such small spaces they will be inclined towards favouring one that does over a totally static one. Layout in the title also suggests a working diorama. Mind you who says the animation has to be a loco moving the trains?

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

This question has already been answered either on here on the other threads in the Creating Cameo Layouts section.

This is all a bit circuitous now. The reason various posters have said buy the book is quite simply it is all in there. A short term fix is buy MRJ254 which has a page devoted to the subject. Now pro rata is it worth buying MRJ for one page ( though worth buying for the photos of Semley...) or pay out for a whole book on the subject.....

However to make is as simple as I can.......

Scenic section say 4ft 6 long framed to encapsulate the scene and draw the viewer in. This 'box' should be adequately lit to negate the use of torches by the viewer to see the contents. As to the contents, as much or little as the builder thinks appropriate and capable of operating.

As for standards, whatever you want.

Ideally electrics etc on the main board but I for one won't get to excited if they are not.

As regards recording progress, why not? This competition is as much about sharing experiences/techniques/c*ck ups as what it finally looks like.

In addition it also prevents the "Here's one I made earlier " scenario.........

Finally.........Call me old fashioned but this is all about keeping it simple. Too many seem to be getting bogged down in 'What ifs and Maybes". Therefore rather than building layouts every so often, useful modelling time is spent frequenting furniture shops to purchase new armchairs/ cushions worn out by years of procrastination.

Sheep Lane (my layout..see above) was as a result a bit of an epiphany. Built and exhibited in 12 months it dragged me out of the armchair( since handed over to the cat..) and I have done more modelling in the last 12 months than in the last few years.

Its a bit like buying new untried bottle of wine. Life's too short. Come on now.

Just do it. Live a little. Dip a toe.

Rob.

Thanks for clarification. 

I was aware that the latest MRJ and the Rice book would answer my question, but at the same time don't want them influencing me, and would rather consult them further down the line. 

Certainly no procrastination on my part (I don't even own an armchair and need no excuse to do some modelling - I spent all yesterday scratchbuilding 4 sanding operating rods for a 4mm J36); I just wanted to be clear if this competition is something that fits my interests.

• Like 1

Mind you who says the animation has to be a loco moving the trains?

Have you got a device for reading my mind while I'm sitting on the loo? I was pondering on that half an hour ago!

I was aware that the latest MRJ and the Rice book would answer my question, but at the same time don't want them influencing me, and would rather consult them further down the line.

My potential entry was planned some time ago, so if anything, I'm tempted to read the book to see if I can improve on the design, rather than be influenced to copy what's in it.

Hi folks

What do you reckon the largest size a baseboard can be to enter this competition? I wonder if the layout I'm planning could enter.

My current "cameo" project is about 7'6" by 2'3" probably a bit on the big size....but it will meet the other criteria....probably not entering the completion mind....as there is no way it will be done by the deadline!

Maybe if the effort was changed from having a moan on the rules to actually getting down and design and building something it would be much more of a positive thing.

Maybe if it had the correct title and then read as real completion rather than Purchase Required for entry Competition; I would be Positive in the eBay sense!

Mark Saunders

Those who are worried about being influenced by Mr Rice can make one simple step to avoid said influence. Don't build a layout with an outside single slip. Now, get on with it ;-)

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

There are other places you can sit in quiet privacy.

No, no, no.

And Stu can model them very well.  Perhaps as a cameo entry ;)

Meanwhile I shall retire gracefully to the Confused Corner still wondering why this isn't a marketing initiative.  

• RMweb Gold

I've bought the book and I've downloaded the entry form. Can anybody tell me whether I have to buy MRJ 254 as well? I can find no mention of the requirement anywhere, but I just want to make sure I don't antagonise anybody unnecessarily.

:rtfm:

post-2194-0-30389400-1492957950_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I've bought the book and I've downloaded the entry form. Can anybody tell me whether I have to buy MRJ 254 as well? I can find no mention of the requirement anywhere, but I just want to make sure I don't antagonise anybody unnecessarily.

:rtfm:

attachicon.gifIMG_2757.JPG

I'm sure you'll upset someone - it is rmweb after all...